A question with regard to Trisodium Phosphate

90rpm

Mar 2, 2013
Hi,

I wonder if there can be any benefit from consuming TSP not according to the loading protocol (4 days * 4 times 1 gr / day..)

If one just wants to ride, say 3 strong rides a week, considering that 2-3 weeks of a break are said to be required between loadings, and according to hammer-nutrition's race-day-boost instruction, one should not consume the product the morning of the race, it's sort of a problem.. any idea ?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by 90rpm .

I wonder if there can be any benefit from consuming TSP not according to the loading protocol (4 days * 4 times 1 gr / day..)

If one just wants to ride, say 3 strong rides a week, considering that 2-3 weeks of a break are said to be required between loadings, and according to hammer-nutrition's race-day-boost instruction, one should not consume the product the morning of the race, it's sort of a problem.. any idea ?
Well, my memory could be greatly flawed ...

AFAIK (without going to the grocery store & looking at the side panel of a box), Trisodium Phosphate is the active ingredient in SPIC-N-SPAN ...

• AND, should probably be considered to be toxic if ingested

Trisodium Phosphate was/(is) typically sold as generic TSP in bulk at hardware/paint stores to be used for cleaning surfaces prior to painting/etc.

I have no problem with the concept or use of alternative therapies ...

But, whatever protocol you are following where you are consuming TSP (as 'I' understand it) would be suspect TO ME ...

• but, if TSP is not the active ingredient in Spic-N-Span then never mind!

A little research shows that trisodium phosphate has a number of uses, including as a food additive and as a claimed performance enhancement.

Originally Posted by alienator .

A little research shows that trisodium phosphate has a number of uses, including as a food additive and as a claimed performance enhancement.
Okay ...

I will take your word on that ...

• let me know when YOU (or, someone whom you know) start to use it & what your first-hand (admittedly, anecdotal) results are ...

BTW. Did the tests which were (presumably) conducted indicate at what level the ingestion of Trisodium Phosphate would be considered-to-be-or-actually-be-toxic in the near-and/or-long term AND/OR what the potential long term liver damage might be, if any, vs. ingestion of other Phosphate bearing compounds?

In other words, is there a less toxic [presuming unwanted toxicity IS actually reached at some level] alternative?

I didn't say I used it. I said it used as a food additive and as a "claimed performance enhancement." The information is easy to find. If you have doubts, look it up.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I didn't say I used it. I said it used as a food additive and as a "claimed performance enhancement." The information is easy to find. If you have doubts, look it up.
My bad! Sorry for the confusion ... you apparently mistook what I wrote ... I said that "I will take your word on that ..." Believe-it-or-not, I meant it.
  • if the day where ever to come to pass where you-or-someone-you-know were to use TSP in the manner suggested by the OP for the reasons s/he stated, I would be inclined to trust YOUR first-hand, anecdotal feedback on using TSP as a dietary supplement over what one-or-two test results might show where often the prior intent of the researcher(s) may influence the subsequent presentation of statistics because statistical presentations are often a very tricky use of data ...
I did not presume that you were (currently) using TSP in the manner which the OP is ingesting it ... And so, I was merely asking you to provide future feedback on the use of TSP if you were to ever take that leap, accordingly. If TSP is already in use, it must be safe up to a point ... arsenic is not unsafe up to a point. I guess that someone should tell "Inspector Tygart" about the use of TSP as a training supplement!

In my opinion, if it's not on the banned list it probably doesn't work. Like most pretend PED's which have placebo as their active ingredient.

As a food additive, this chemical is used to retain water in seafood such as shrimp. To "pump" the shrimp to add weight and size. I speak from experience as a Food Service Professional.

The cleaning is also a valid use.

Link to TSP, http://www.livestrong.com/article/548740-trisodium-phosphate-and-vinegar/