A whole slew of potential bikes

bigfloppyllama

Jun 16, 2003
Since getting a job, and coming across a fair bit of extra spending money I’m looking to upgrade the bike to something a bit nicer. Right now I’m riding a Trek 1000 weighing maybe 25-26 pounds loaded. I’m pretty much set on ultegra (or a 105/ultegra mix for certain parts) or the comparable campagnolo groupset. Ideally I’d like it to be pretty light, but not sacrificing ride quality too much. I’m obviously not looking for a definitive answer, just opinions on any of these bikes. I’ll definitely ride each bike that interests me before making a final conclusion. Anyways, here’s a list of bikes I’ve scoped out as potential candidates. Quite the list since I’m trying not to limit myself to one or two brands. Any thoughts or comments on the bikes (or weight if you have any information about it) would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to keep it under $2500, and all the prices are just ones I've found locally or off roadbikereview.

Trek 5200 - ?lbs - $2500
Trek 5000 - ?lbs - $2000
Trek 2300 - ?lbs - $2000
Giant TCR Composite 2 - ?lbs - $2000 ($200 gift card included)
Giant TCR Aluminum - ?lbs - $1500 ($150 gift card included)
Specialized Allez Comp - ?lbs - $1630
Orbea Liege - 16.2lbs - $2500
Orbea Mitis 2 - 17.5lbs - $2500
Orbea Mitis 3 - 18.1lbs - $2250
Orbea - Mitis 4 - 17.4lbs - $2000
Bianchi Virata - ?lbs - $2100
Bianchi Sl3 - ?lbs - $2300
Cannondale R2000 - ?lbs - $2400
Cannondale R1000 - ?lbs - $1700
Cervelo Soloist - ?lbs - $2400

In a sport so obsessed with weight, it sure would be nice to have the weights of bikes listed.

The '04 LeMond Buenos Aires is at the same pricepoint (less than $2000, actually) - gets you almost all Ultegra components, and a carbon/steel frame combo that looks classy, is pretty light and responsive, and rides very well.

You could get the all-Ultegra group and still be under your $2500 limit with the LeMond Zurich, the next model up from the Buenos Aires.

Ah, how could I forget lemond. Those are definitely a possibility as the local Trek store I go to stocks quite a few of them as well. Thanks.

Specialized Allez Comp - approx 18.5 w/o pedals

I just bought one and love it! (I had LBS upgrade wheels to Elites)

It would be nice to know the weights of the bikes as you said. I notice that you found the weights for the Orbea bikes that you listed. Just be careful about the manufacturers published weights because they're usually just short of complete BS! I think they take either a small bike or an "average" sized bike and weigh it without pedals, bottle cages and who knows what else. Even then I have no idea how they come-up with some of the weights they publish. JMHO!

i just got a Felt F45 - full ultegra + dura-ace rear derailler for $1500.

their F35 is full dura-ace 9-speed for around $1800.

cool bike (alu w/carbon seatstays) and great value. can't wait for warmer weather to get out on mine!

oh, and they're both in the 18+ or -1lb range, depending on size and components

Originally posted by lostmyshape
i just got a Felt F45 - full ultegra + dura-ace rear derailler for $1500.

their F35 is full dura-ace 9-speed for around $1800.

cool bike (alu w/carbon seatstays) and great value. can't wait for warmer weather to get out on mine!

oh, and they're both in the 18+ or -1lb range, depending on size and components

And again I feel like a fool. The other shop I visit sells these (and Fuji's I think) and I'm always remarking how great the price is for the components. I wasn't able to find warranty information on their site, is it lifetime or a set number of years (not really a major issue with me, but still nice to know)?

Maybe we shouldn't be too obsessed with bike weight. Wheels are a little different story, because rotational weight has a huge effect, but for the frame, I figure there is not much of a difference between 18 lbs and 19 lbs if the wheels and drivetrain are the same. Sure there are bragging rights...

I say if you can get Ultegra for under $1,300 or Dura Ace for under $2,000 then go for it!

The felt's keep ranking higher and higher on my list of potentials after talking to a few people with them. I'm curious to where you found the prices though, the cheapest I've found for the F45 is $1800 and $2000 for the F35.

Originally posted by bigfloppyllama
The felt's keep ranking higher and higher on my list of potentials after talking to a few people with them. I'm curious to where you found the prices though, the cheapest I've found for the F45 is $1800 and $2000 for the F35.

just got my first ride on my F45 and i am a happy cyclist! so far i definately recommend them, but i only have about 12 mi on it so far. comfy and fast. i'm excited to see how it climbs and decends.

maybe my LBS just gets a great price... the local biketek sells them for the same price you mention, but the Ambridge Bike Shop (http://www.beavercounty.net/abs/) here near pittsburgh, sells the F45 for $1500 and the F35 for around $1800. they actually told me to buy fast because Felt might not let them sell the bikes for that cheap anymore. they just lost trek for that reason and because of their location. they're a great shop and have been around for 40 years or so. shop around... there has to be other shops that sell Felts for these prices... right?

oh, and the warranty for non-racing models is 5-year and racing models is 3-year. pretty standard for an alu bike.