Advice for beginner

Deeders1

Jan 26, 2013
Hey, I am interested in getting into cycling to get back into shape. What bikes do you recommend for big guys like myself?. Right now I weigh around 295 lbs; height 6' 4". I am worried about my weight blowing the tires haha. As far as apparel is concerned, what recommendations can you give me on cycling apparel? Any other tips or advice would be helpful, thanks.

I will defer to the others on the board recommending a specific bike. I have no idea what brands may be more suitable for your needs, or if it matters at all.

Regardless of your weight keeping your tires properly inflated is the best thing anyone can do. A nice reinforced tire like Specialized Armadillos or Continental Gator Skins are very resistant to flats if taken care of properly. I bought my first road bike last May and immediately had problems with the thin Bontrager tires that came with it. I switched them out for the Gatorskins and never had another problem the rest of the season (1,600 miles).

Just make sure you buy some quality cycling shorts with the proper padding on the inside. Visits to the urologist can make this hobby a lot more painful and expensive!! Do not go cheap on the shorts!!! In the warm weather wear a shirt that stays dry and is breathable like a cycling jersey, or normal athletic apparel. Personally I really do not care for cycling jerseys I typically wear your typical Nike and Addidas dry tech shirts when I ride.

Do not get frustrated the first few days / weeks you start riding. It gets a lot easier real quickly and you will be increasing your riding distances to levels you didnt think possible when you first got on the bike. Make sure you get out on the bike at least four days a week, drink plenty of water, and just keep pedaling my friend.

you will need to find some pretty big sizes in apparel, you will find them but not on every shop, cycling shorts are a must because it will protect you from rubbing in between legs and the saddle, a potential harm for your skin,

I can't speak on which bike would be best for you, but a bike fitting is a must I believe as you will get a bike that fits you as oppose to making you fit a bike (hope that's clear). I suggest you find a customer service oriented bike shop that does bike fittings; they should be able to suggest a bike for you. As far as the shorts goes, yes get some with nice padding. You will see and feel the differences. Also, I find that those chamois butter (use with bike shorts) is a good investment; it helps keep chafing in your sensitive areas down and keeps friction down, too. I didn't wear a bike jersey until about this fall (only been back on the bike since June '12), but find that they definitely have its place, particularly, the wicking properties, rear pockets, lightness. I got my summer stuff in the fall and winter (huge deals). You may want to check now, but be warned they are sized for thin guys, so it be best to go into the store and try them on. I always have to go 1-2 size larger depending on the fit (i.e. tight, slim fit etc). Start easy and don't worry about those folks flying by you - keep focused on your goal(s).

Al

I bought my first bike to get back into shape. As others said don't go skimpy on the shorts. Anything biking is stupidly expensive but shirts are generally worth it. Riding with a sore butt is no fun. As others said your first rides will be might not be how far/fast you wanted but that will come in time, as with anything in life. One key thing is to make sure you eat right and get your fruits and veggies in. Water follows salt and carbohydrates in your body. Cutting back on your salt and carbohydrate intake will allow water that is trapped to escape when you use the restroom, and you will literally pee out a good majority of water weight. Then you will see a platue in the weight loss, which means its time to maintain the diet how you like. To many carbs or salt will store water again Make sure you still drink water though, and no thatvwill not contridict the carb/salt cutting :p Make sure you get some glasses to pritect your eyes and glove. for hand protection. I have some serfas traitor glasses with replacable lenses for different times of day and some specalized gloves. I have no problems with either besides glasses fogging up when no moving at a stop light. Most importantly get a bike that fits and feels comfortable to you. I have a cannondale Synaps. People say,as well as my self, that this bike Is very comfortable , and its designed for that very aspect. If you are buying new, ask a lbs to size you for something that Is comfortable and not going to strain your back. If I think of anything else to add, Ill post It, but I am sick of correcting spelling mistakes from my phone, so I am ending this here. Hope that helps!

Also someone mebtioned they don't like actual cycling jerseys and i second that. I always use underarmor type shirts. Laying a few on with a set of arm warmers, even cheap ones, will keep you pretty warm. A simple wind breaker wl workwonders as well and wont require as many layers. Ross/Marshalls (discount/overstock sales stores in thr US) and those type of stores is where i get all my tops. I have also gotten some spandex tights, nike procombats, which if its REALLY cold i will put under my shorts and they work perfectly fine at a fraction of thr cost when I got them at ross.

"Just get in line and don't worry 'bout your shirt shine!"

I advise you to find a local cycling club and just start riding the short, easy routes with them. Don't worry about your looks or how fast you can ride or how far you can go or who you can keep up with.

You'll get lots of good advice, some bad advice and have fun improving, getting healthy and making some new friends. They'll show you how ride safely, efficiently and assist you when you need it.

Do stop into a local shop and get a couple pairs of cycling shorts...baggy or tight, your choice. A always tell riders to get a decent helmet, but it's your noggin and it's a free world. Be advised most clubs and organized rides do require a CPSC-approved helmet though.

Some sort of cycling shoes are a plus, IMO. Not absolutely mandatory, but for doing longer rides, stiff soles and/or clipless pedals (or toe clips & straps) is the way to go...eventually.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

The ideal bike for fat bastards has "goldwing" written on it. Also comes with an engine.

As for cycling you will want something with really low gear ratios as pulling around excess weight is tuff, even more so given your deficit of fitness. Dont be tempted to push yourself really hard at first as we dont want you to keel over. Long steady rides are what you need to help build stamina and lose the weight a bit. You will struggle at first but things get easier with time. Well they dont get easier, just faster and longer but you know what I mean. Best of luck mate.