beginner, need some tips/advice

beerbaron105

May 7, 2006
I know there are alot of beginner threads, ive been searching but cant exactly find what im looking for, so here goes:

I just started getting into biking, i love it so far, but im still a little intimidated regarding biking alongside traffic, i cant make left turns without going to an intersection and hoping for a pedestrian crosswalk to do so, yet i see alot of road guys using the vehicle turning lanes like it is nothing

any tips on how i can better integrate myself with traffic?

beerbaron105 said:
I know there are alot of beginner threads, ive been searching but cant exactly find what im looking for, so here goes:

I just started getting into biking, i love it so far, but im still a little intimidated regarding biking alongside traffic, i cant make left turns without going to an intersection and hoping for a pedestrian crosswalk to do so, yet i see alot of road guys using the vehicle turning lanes like it is nothing

Remember that your bike is a vehicle just like the cars. Clearly signal your intention to merge into the left lane. Turn your head and try to make eye contact with the driver behind you, or at least make sure they're slowing down to let you in. Sometimes people don't get the message (in too much of a hurry to get to the red light) so you might have to wait for a few cars to pass before you get a break.

it is also easier to merge over to turn lanes if you have some speed. That along with clear signalling is what works for me.

Do the above, and I recommend getting a mirror you mount to your glasses.

your best assets in traffic (beyond basic bike handling and common sense) are confidence and predictability.

cars see bike wobbling and second guessing thier lines and stammering and it makes them nervous and it disrupts the flow of traffic.

decide where youre going and point the bike there and assert your right to you space in traffic.

the flipside of this is being responsible enough to know when you have no business navigating a particualr road or intersection, but if you're honest with yourself aboutyour abilities and you dont give cars a reason to be nervous or overly cautious, you're not only more likely to get where you're going, but you're doing all of us a favor by contributing to conditioning motorists that bikes are responsible and entitled patrons of the streets that arent going anywhere, and are also worthy or respect and... from time to time... a little bit of patience.

beerbaron105 said:

How old are you?
Do you drive?

Sometimes making a left can be sketchy. If the road is that busy or four lanes most times there is someplace to bail out (gas station or whatnot). If you don't have a safe left to make just wait it out in the lot and then make your move. Sometime you just can't do it. Better to be safe.

More than anything you just have to get out there and ride in traffic till you get comfortable with it.

All of these guys are right on, be confident. The only other thing is that you should get over with plenty of time aka more than 20 or 30 feet, more like 100 to 200 feet, at a decent speed this should be attainable.;)