beginner questions

Jess1632

Mar 17, 2014
Hello, I am finally getting my first bike after a few years of hesitation, a big one being fear of getting hit by a car and dying:). It looks so fun though, and I am just ready to get out of my comfort zone. I used to ride dirt bikes so I figure I am capable of doing this too:). I have a question about safety gear. Do cyclist wear neck braces? I don't think I have ever noticed anyone wearing one, is there a reason for this? does it impede vision or dexterity in a way that would cause you to be more likely to get in a bad situation? And again, I am totally new at this and know pretty much nothing about the sport except for brief and broad research on bikes so, this very well could be a ridiculous question :). thanks.
tongue.png

Not many neck braces are going to allow for the neck movement you need to be in the drops let alone look behind you to look for traffic. I don't see anything with the flexibility needed to be useful at all in not getting injured. Get a helmet with MIPps and learn to ride smart don't run lights like a **** and you will be alright. Unless you are not then you still had fun getting dead, much better than a heart attack from cheetos and honey boo boo Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, Thanks. I Figured that. And No, I would never ride through red lights and ride crazy:). I want to be safe as possible. When I test road the bike I bought today it was intimidating just crossing the street. I know I just need to get used to it and over time I will get more comfortable:).

Originally Posted by Jess1632
Okay, Thanks. I Figured that. And No, I would never ride through red lights and ride crazy:). I want to be safe as possible. When I test road the bike I bought today it was intimidating just crossing the street. I know I just need to get used to it and over time I will get more comfortable:).

Getting "too used to it" also causes accidents...

Like MX, some BMX and mountain bike riders wear horse collars. I wore them for kart racing.

Road cyclists do not use neck braces / collars. You need to be able to swivel your head around too much to use most collars.

Get a good helmet, a pair of decent cycling gloves and stay alert. Any MX'er should easily adapt to become an agile and safe road cyclist. Just remember that the skinny tires don't bite in the loose stuff!

Sure, you're feeling a little weird on a road bike now, but no weirder than sticking a newb on a tweaked Gas-Gas. Give it a little time and you'll be riding smoothly and comfortably with the best of 'em.

I've never seen a roadie wear a neck brace while riding, I did see one after a bike ride having to wear one but that was after he had crashed and went to the hospital! All kidding aside if you want to wear one then fine just don't get mad at me if you get odd looks and snickers.

Originally Posted by Jess1632
Hello, I am finally getting my first bike after a few years of hesitation, a big one being fear of getting hit by a car and dying:). It looks so fun though, and I am just ready to get out of my comfort zone. I used to ride dirt bikes so I figure I am capable of doing this too:). I have a question about safety gear. Do cyclist wear neck braces? I don't think I have ever noticed anyone wearing one, is there a reason for this? does it impede vision or dexterity in a way that would cause you to be more likely to get in a bad situation? And again, I am totally new at this and know pretty much nothing about the sport except for brief and broad research on bikes so, this very well could be a ridiculous question :). thanks.
tongue.png
Not many I know wear them. If any actually. Get a decent helmet and make sure you watch the road signs, signals, etc. Don't feel bad when it comes to going all out on a helmet. Great expense.