Some general beginner questions

g8000

May 30, 2004
Some background info... Im 23 y/o and been riding for 3 weeks now. I dont have any excess weight, just trying to get fit; possibly race in the future.

My question is, should I ride monday through friday 10 miles per ride at 14-15 mph avg? Or should I ride monday, wednesday, and friday 20 miles per ride at 16-17 mph avg?? When I ride everyday of the week like I've been doing, my legs are usually too tired to go for the 20 miles at the higher speed. On mondays, with rested legs, I can ride forever and at higher speeds.

Also, I dont know if my saddle was positioned correctly. It feels like it is sloped downward and I'm constantly pushing myself back on the saddle. It might be that my riding position is wrong. Are my sit bones supposed to be on top of the part of the saddle where it begins to change from thin to wide, or further back?? Today I tried maintaining my positing in the saddle by using my arms to push back from the handlebars. This felt comfotable, I was able to lock my position, and my legs felt freer, improving my spin. Is what I'm doing correct or should I adjust the saddle?

Could,t say about your saddle without seeing you on it. It should be level. Go to a bike shop or find an experieced rider to help. I would suggest that if you are going to race to mix up your routine between enduarnce rides,sprint training and climbing but let your muscles rest and rebuild ocassionally. The distance will be dictated by your condition and progress.

I see racing as a long term goal. For now I just want to get fit, as I havent done any aerobic exercise in 5+ years.

When I am in the lowest position, upper body almost parallel to he ground, I run out of air quickly. Is that normal??

My two cents:
Ideally,your sit bones should be back on the wider part of the saddle, but many times I've ended up sliding forward, and I've seen many pros up on the "rivets" or nose of the saddle. I tend to move around a lot to save those sore areas and it's dependant on the terrain, too.
The saddle should be level, but every body is different. If your arms, wrists and hands are getting tired, you may be tipped too far forward by a saddle that needs to be nosed up a bit, but don't go too far cuz "things" can start to go numb. Move it just a bit at a time and retest.
I'm not sure about your rides. When I ride a lot during the week (commuting), by Friday I'm also riding home a lot slower (I'm also 20 years older than you). If you love the longer rides like I do, go for it!! Keep yourself happy. But make sure to rest also. Rest is a very important part of training. People forget that.

Peace

Cam

Personally, i would make sure i'm getting a good diet- eating healthily will help you recover faster, and possibly ride 20 miles @ a medium pace on monday, 10 miles @ faster pace wed, and try to go for 25 miles @ a slowish pace friday

If you have only been cycling 3 weeks so far, sounds like your allready doing a good job of mounting up the miles. I found when i first started out that it was really hard work going out 2 days in a row as my thighs was allways feeling pulled and in need of a rest, after time your legs will get stronger and there recovery rate will be a lot quicker. Now i find it no problem going out several days in a row and really pushing myself. Give it time, do what you can manage, and in no time you will be able to be out every day if you wish.

These are all great tips. Figured I'd bring this post back up. I always just pace myself and go by how my body feels. You adjust and get use to things. It is different than jogging or running. It's much easier to pack on the miles.