Advice for fat fat guy?

LitStyles

Aug 3, 2012
Im a BIGGG guy. 6 foot, 400 pounds. I just received a brand new bike for my birthday from my fiance from the local bike store. My question is, any advice? I want to get in shape, lose weight, and strengthen my heart. She had a computer installed on it as well.

Any advice?

You're a lucky man to have a lady like yours. We had a fella on the forum some time back who's wife (fiance?) was giving him grief about all his riding.

I met a friend early last season who I would see riding slow laps in my local park, but lots of 'em. I'm guessing as I never asked him numbers but when I first made his aquaintance he was easily 300+, this year he's down around 230-240lbs (I'm guessing). He is very consistent (he's out on the road 4 or 5 days a week for a couple hours) and doesn't let the fact that a bunch of skinny guys are constantly whizzing by bother him. I believe he now does 50-100 mile rides on most weekends with some other riders.

Just try to get out there often and have fun on the bike. Don't overdo it a first. If you are concerned about anything check with your physician. You may need wheels trued a bit more than the lightweights, and hills will be a bit of a chore for a while, but as you get fitter things will get quite a bit easier.

As far as your bike, keep the tires inflated to either max pressure, if just one number on the side of the tire, or at the top of the range if that's given. i.e 100-120psi - go for the 120. This may mean ponying up for a pump with a gage. Frequent the Clydesdale thread for more info, seems to be where the big fellas hang out.

Enjoy the bike, and the ride. Welcome to the forum.

Hehe yup it takes some working up to. Luckily as cyclist we are partially supported by the bike, and can coast, so an hour on the bike is not like an hour long jog.

Have fun. That's the obvious bit that most seem to miss when getting a bike for health reasons of to 'get in shape' but if you don't keep it fun then you'll most likely stop riding.

Learn how to do basic stuff - fix flats, change inner tubes, figure out before you have a problem on the road how to get your wheels out to fix a flat tire. You might remember how to do this from when you were a kid but I've seen some folks prepared to walk 10 miles home or call for a ride... Personally, I carry two spare tubes and a small puncture repair kit and two tire levers. I also carry a pump rather than CO2.

Ride often but don't get into the trap where you feel like you HAVE to ride every day. If you feel tired then chances are you really are and taking a day off or two might not be a bad thing.

If anything hurts when you ride - find out why. If you're riding casually then nothing should hurt. Only if you're riding at your limit for a short duration should things get uncomfortable because of the effort.

Stretch.

Read the posts in the Clydesdale forum. When I used to race back in the day I was mid 140lbs. When I got back on the bike I was closer to 230... Bigger guys have to deal with issues that the waif like guys don't have too.

Vanity. Screw vanity. If you're somewhere hot - get a top with a good full length zipper and if you need to unzip it, unzip it. Fat is a great insulator... this means that when you get hot from riding you'll have trouble dissipating that heat. In hot weather, cool is good. Padded bar tape may allow you to do without mitts, a good helmet may allow more air flow to the head for better cooling, and thin socks will help keep your feet cool - those three areas are good places to dissipate heat from. A top that is thin and slightly baggy will help. Light colors - preferably white - work best.

I would strongly advise getting a heart rate monitor. Do some web searching on aerobic heart rate monitor and learn about what heart rate range you should be in. Pay more attention to YOUR response to exercise than to any formula. You want to be below the "running out of breath" area, whatever that is but you should learn at about what heart rate you can get to just before you tip the scale to "I can't keep this up". At that "I can keep this up and I'm not going to run out of breath but it's darn good exercise" place you are aerobic and will be able to give yourself (including of course, your heart) a good prolonged exercise. There is no substitute for simple time on the bike. Ten minutes here and there won't be of any help. At all. Shoot for a minimum of 40 minutes at an aerobic pace, 4-5 times a week. More won't do a great deal for your aerobic condition, but more will burn calories and help you gain strength. Lastly, don't use it as an excuse to eat more food, which is my hindrance to progress. If you combine a steady diet of exercise with a steady diet of good food you won't have to really think about dieting per se...but you will probably (if you're like most of us) change eating habits to incorporate a higher percentage of veggies and other healthy foods. Congrats on your start.

danfoz said:
Hehe yup it takes some working up to. Luckily as cyclist we are partially supported by the bike, and can coast, so an hour on the bike is not like an hour long jog.
What if that hour on the bike is spent going up the Angliru?

Originally Posted by alienator .

What if that hour on the bike is spent going up the Angliru?
In that case he'll see the first steep ramps and empty his bowels in his shorts and then make it up the first 50 yards on the bike... then walk 50 yards and think "f--k this..." and then leave his bike at the side of the road and promptly take up a new hobby. Memories of that incedent will mean that Angliru will be remembered as the Angri-lu.

That climb is not something that anyone should face. Vaughters and Horner duked it out on one of my local climbs in 2002 or 2003 (a year-ish after he set the record on Mt Ventoux) and Vaughters said it was like the Angliru but a bit shorter... I can't imagine my local steep hill being longer. Even my earlobes hurt thinking about riding up there right now. That said, I'm a few sheets to the wind and would probably ride off the edge of the road and would be a late night snack for a mountain lion or three... A veritable KFC on wheels, with a side of gut and hairballs.

LitStyles,

Just go and have fun. Ride as fast as you desire and ride often. Keep it fun and enjoy the ride. Pardon my colorful phrasing - it's just me being an English d--k ;) Many moons ago I used to race and was a waife like 5'11" and 140ish pounds. Fast foward a decade after being off the bike and I'd gained 90lbs. Hills went from being something I loved with a passion to something that I still liked but sucked really bad at... A triple chainset was my friend for a while and that small ring was used and used a lot.

swampy1970 said:
Just go and have fun. Ride as fast as you desire and ride often. Keep it fun and enjoy the ride. Pardon my colorful phrasing - it's just me being an English d--k ;) Many moons ago I used to race and was a waife like 5'11" and 140ish pounds. Fast foward a decade after being off the bike and I'd gained 90lbs. Hills went from being something I loved with a passion to something that I still liked but sucked really bad at... A triple chainset was my friend for a while and that small ring was used and used a lot.
What he said. Plus, unless advised to do so by a doc, I wouldn't worry about getting a heart rate monitor right now. Just pay close attention to what your body is telling you while riding. The priority should be to just have fun and enjoy the riding.

LitStyles it will come with time man. Trust me. I'm a fat guy as well and I just started as well. What others are saying about watching the heart rate is the best advice on here. b4 I got the bicycle I got a little arm band that measures my pulse via my I phone and I can see my speed, my Pulse, and also my GPS all at the same time. I personally use the MapMyRide app so that I can cut the calories, and also get my day to day exercise logged in. I am also able to compare 1 day to another to see if i have improved. While this will help push yourself. it will also let you know when you are doing way too much.

Just take it easy. the pounds will not just fly off right away. It is only when we build the muscles up to work more efficiently that then the pounds will start burning off. In fact we will gain even more weight as we go because muscle weight is 2x heaver then body fat. So don't be surprised when you see your weight go up. And also don't get disheartened.

that is all the advice that I have for you. But take it for what it is worth

From 1 fat guy to another.

Originally Posted by LitStyles .

.... I just received a brand new bike for my birthday from my fiance ..Any advice?
Marry that girl. My wife didn't speak to me for a week after I bought my new bicycle.

Many of us have lost weight cycling.... and everyone of us has had a darn good time cycling. I wore a heart monitor watch... and spoke with my doctor when I started cycling as well. It is all simple stuff... diet and exercise... it really is that simple. Great advice already posted here.... enjoy yourself.

Originally Posted by Dave Pace .

Just take it easy. the pounds will not just fly off right away. It is only when we build the muscles up to work more efficiently that then the pounds will start burning off. In fact we will gain even more weight as we go because muscle weight is 2x heaver then body fat. So don't be surprised when you see your weight go up. And also don't get disheartened.

Some good info here - often people getting in shape are worried about "not losing enough weight" - question is are you sticking to it, and do you feel better and look better? That's what matters. Weight can sometimes (probably not usually, but sometimes) be deceiving.

When I first started "seriously" riding, I was at about 235. I put up about 1300 miles the first summer, and I think I lost maybe 10 lbs. But I slimmed down to a point where it looked like I lost probably 20-25 lbs, and felt TONS better.

6ft, 400lbs is quite heavy yes :).

I'm 6'2" and used to be around 300lbs (I'm now 180 a year later). When I started to lose weight, I concentrated firstly on my diet. I cut out sugary drinks (Coke and Pepsi) and starting drinking only water. It did two things, the water helped me feel fuller for longer and the drop in sugar reduced my calorie intake.

The next thing was obviously exercise. As you've got a bike, I think you're on the right track. Try and get out on it as much as possible doing rides that feel strenuous and should leave you pretty tired afterwards. Have a couple of days rest each week to ensure your body recovers from your workouts.

The final thing to note is that you will likely have loose skin when you lose weight. The only real option is surgery I'm afraid.

I hope that helps!