advice for new bike

mpmp

Feb 21, 2013
My old bike died - 1999 specialized hardrock. I don't like road bikes so I guess hybrid's the answer. Most of my riding consists of hour long trips trying to go fast. The roads aren't great so bike has to absorb shocks. I don't want to spend more than $3-400. Really could use help with some models to get one asap. Thanks a lot. Also, for sizing, I'm 5-8 with 30" inseam. My specialized was a 19" and I loved the fit.

Why not go to a bike shop and ask to look at and test ride some hybrids?

There are comfort hybrids, fitness hybrids, dual-sport hybrids, hybrids with fat 26" wheels and hybrids with skinnier 700c wheels, hybrids with knobby tires and hybrids with smooth tires. I could tell you what I'd ride, but I'm not you.

Happy hunting.

The problem with bike shops is that you're going to pay a lot more than online. From what I've researched so far the Vilano Performance Hybrid Bike looks like a great buy.

Originally Posted by mpmp

The problem with bike shops is that you're going to pay a lot more than online.
Not that much more. I bought an own-brand bike from an online retailer and paid 75% of an equivalent name-brand bike in-store. But, it came with a jammed barrel adjuster and I was constantly tweaking the front derailleur alignment. The retailer did ship me replacement parts for the barrel adjuster and offer to pay for a bike shop to fix it.

You'll rarely find a name-brand bike available online for less than the price in a bike shop.

The point is, that some of the value delivered by a bike shop is intangible. Many bike shops would have taken my front derailleur issue and fixed it for me while I waited. Bike shops will provide advice about gear and accessories. These are not 0-value things.

Most local bike shops offer a 100-mile (or equivalent) tune up for free with purchase. This accounts for cable stretch, etc.

Finally, you can't test-ride a bike bought from an online retailer.

My next bike will be from my local bike shop.

If you choose to buy online, make sure you check the maintenance and return policies.

Well, I visited a shop today and tried out a trek comparable to the one online component wise that cost $500 compared to $385 online. Also this was my first endeavor with thumb shifters, having used the grip shifters. I liked the grip shifters better. Seems like on the grip shifters you're moving the derailleur as you shift and after you click on the next number it's shifted, whereas on the thumb shifter there was a delay from the time to hit the thumb shifter and then the chain moved. He acknowledged I could save online but he said the difference would be made up in assembly, making adjustments, etc. Bottom line, I wasn't blown away by the bike, and definitely would buy online first.

Get a small tire bike, your 5'8" you should look into either single speed frame mini velo and build it into a IGH 3 speed.
I ride folding bikes that I beef up, so that I can ride them daily.
Being less then 6' tall is a blessing not a curse, when it comes to bikes these days because your in the size rage for a small tire bike.
I ride a itzy breezer; That has been custom-ed to fit 16 inch wheels but only allows for a 50T front sprocket,(winter bike) and a xidesheng small flyer 16 inch folder, 60 tooth front sprocket and a 13t sturmey archer AW 3 speed, IGH only for me.You might think its not fast because of the wheels size but it is very fast, I can ride faster then most road bikes carbon fiber included. That's all I will say without sounding egotistical.
If you want comfort you can get a seat post with a shock and possibly a front shock fork. I don't bother with shocks at all,
If you want speed you leave shocks alone,
I can ride 40 miles like nothing on mine if I want to go fast the whole way it
drains me some, but not too bad. 2 hours and 20 minutes for 40 miles with hills and rough roads and stop lights included.
keeping the weight under about 22 pounds will help but not a major deal, because the small tires will give you more ease of motion to allow for extra weight which won't be noticed as much.
I use Kenda west 16 x 1.50 100 psi. zoom zoom. Note( sturmey archer defaults in 3rd gear shimano 3 speed defalts in 1st gear)
Good luck.

You're in another athletic category than me. I love lots of gears. But..I did discover a local bike store that has the bike I was bent on buying online for actually less than the online price. Called them and they didn't have my size but said I could order my size and they'd assemble it for free. I'm going there tomorrow to ride the bike to see if I like it. Thanks all.

Originally Posted by mpmp

The problem with bike shops is that you're going to pay a lot more than online. From what I've researched so far the Vilano Performance Hybrid Bike looks like a great buy.
Yeah, but you'll get better advice and service than you ever will from an internet store and a bulletin board full of strangers.

And Vilanos are ****. Sorry, I've worked on a few and found nothing redeemable about them. If you're going to buy online, go to somebody with a decent reputation and a degree of customers service, bikesdirect.com.

There are options for a dual drive gear box, you can get a 3 speed that also has a spindle for a cluster. If you can get that, you triple the amount of gears on your bike in the rear.
They have one on the Tern verge x30 folder. nice bike high price.I would never go small tire and cluster alone, unless there were a very large front chain ring available somewhere.
I know price is a factor but this is just food for thought.
good luck.

After reading your glowing memories of your 1999 Specialized.
Heck, why not buy another Specialized ???
There are several models available in the $400-550 range.