Advice on tubular rims

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gemma Kernich, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Hi all, I want to build up a pair of 32h tubular track wheels for general use (indoor and outdoor
    track). The wheels will never see a brakepad so having a machined braking surface isn't important to
    me. Can anyone suggest a suitable rim? I have only seen 2 different models in Australia - Mavic
    Reflex and the Velocity one. Cheers Gemma

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, I want to build up a pair of 32h tubular track wheels for general use (indoor and outdoor
    > track). The wheels will never see a brakepad so
    having
    > a machined braking surface isn't important to me. Can anyone suggest a suitable rim? I have only
    > seen 2 different models in Australia - Mavic Reflex and the Velocity one. Cheers Gemma

    Depending on where you shop, how much you weigh, and whether you're planning on sprinting on these,
    I'd go for a pair of GEL280s first, then a pair of GL330s, then a pair of Velocity Escapes, then the
    Reflex tubies. The GEL280s are a little light for my 180# (79.5kg), so I've eliminated them from my
    personal shopping list, but if you're lighter than I am, go for it.

    The Mavic GEL280s and GL330s are getting hard to find (expensive), unless you happen onto a stash at
    a LBS that doesn't have as many people riding tubulars as they used to.

    I just built a pair of training wheels with a pair of Velocity Escapes. Seemed to build up OK, but I
    haven't had a chance to ride them yet.

    If you can find a used hub (American Classic makes the easiest I've seen to convert) and a Zipp rim
    (the last one I bought was a 340 for $95) you can make a bitchin aero wheel for not much money.
    mmmmm aero...

    Since I haven't gotten around to gluing up my training wheels, I've been training on my
    Zipp404/Superbe Pro wheelset. mmmm, way aero!

    Check the swap meets, look for used tubulars online, and start digging on ebay. You'll be able to
    find something you can use in the 275-350g range that are good rims.

    Other good rims: older Campy box section rims, Mavic box section rims (except the GP4 its a tank),
    some older Sun rims, and also Araya aero section rims (I think the 4 is the one for the rear, and
    the 1 for the front, but don't quote me.) Stay away from the Mach2CD2, they're heavy too.

    That help?

    Mike

  3. "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi all, I want to build up a pair of 32h tubular track wheels for general use (indoor and outdoor
    > track). The wheels will never see a brakepad so having a machined braking surface isn't important
    > to me. Can anyone suggest a suitable rim? I have only seen 2 different models in Australia - Mavic
    > Reflex and the Velocity one. Cheers Gemma

    Most rim manufacturers still make one or two tubie rims. Anything is suitable. The deepest "cheap"
    rims I found were Fir SRG30 and Velocity Pro-Elite. The latter seems discontinued, but distributors
    still have them and got a pair of 32h brand new a few weeks ago.

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Scott Godfrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi all, I want to build up a pair of 32h tubular track wheels for general use (indoor and
    > > outdoor track). The wheels will never see a brakepad so
    having
    > > a machined braking surface isn't important to me. Can anyone suggest a suitable rim? I have only
    > > seen 2 different models in Australia - Mavic Reflex and the Velocity one. Cheers Gemma
    >
    > Most rim manufacturers still make one or two tubie rims. Anything is suitable. The deepest "cheap"
    > rims I found were Fir SRG30 and Velocity Pro-Elite. The latter seems discontinued, but
    > distributors still have them and got a pair of 32h brand new a few weeks ago.

    I haven't ridden the Firs, but I understand they make good rims.

    As a side note, the San Diego Velodrome is having a March Madness track race on Mar30. Go see
    www.velodromes.org for more details. Come on down and start tuning up for a summer of great track
    racing. Since this is the day after the Swap Meet, c'mon down and make a weekend out of it!

    Mike