Aerobars and shifters

goofiefoot

Aug 13, 2003
Hopefully this subject hasn't been beaten to death –

I recently purchased my first road bike. It's an older model Raleigh (probably about mid-90s) with the downtube Shimano shifters. As I will be using it predominately for triathlons, I added a Profile Century aerobar. Everything is perfect for right now except for my shifting. The shifters work flawlessly, but the reach down is troublesome, especially when I'm on the aerobars. Since my aerobar is a closed loop (and since I'm a cheapskate), I want to simply move my existing downtube shifters up to the aerobar.

I have researched the Profile SwiftShift, but was inconclusive whether it would work with the Century, and Profile claims not be making it for a while. Other than that, I have found nothing.

What options (the cheaper, the better) do I have?

- jason

Hey Goofie, Im not sure where (perhaps ebay) I was surfing today and saw a set of shifters designed for ecastly your application. Keep looking I know they make it.

Thanks, Wally. I'm really not looking to replace my shifters, just relocate them. Admittedly, I know very little about bikes, and I really can't spent a ton of money, so any advice would be helpful.

-jason

Originally posted by goofiefoot
Has either of you seen sti shifters for aerobars? I can only find sti shifters with houseing that fits on road-style down bars, but not dropped down time trial-style bars.

Colin