Airless tires?

On Oct 3, 11:55 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUhBoDnrKI
> -tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel

"The Tweel consists of a cable-reinforced band of conventional "tire"
rubber with molded tread, a shear band just below the tread that
creates a compliant contact patch, and a series of energy-absorbing
polyurethane spokes. The rectangular spokes can be designed to have a
range of stiffnesses, so engineers can control how the Tweel handles
loads. The inner hub contains a matrix of deformable plastic
structures that flex under load and return to their original shape."

2015 Madone option?

Tom Nakashima <[email protected]> writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECUhBoDnrKI

"In ten to fifteen years" according to the commentator. From what I
see, Michelin considers flat tires on cars about as common as on
bicycles. I can't recall when I had the last flat tire on a car. Air
springs are actually replacing other springs all over technology,
typically tail gate air struts and pneumatic valve springs in race
cars. For road bicycles it is out of contention fir its added weight
alone. I don't see that this Tweel(TM) is barking up the right
tree... I'll wait and see.

Jobst Brandt