AIS Womens Bunch Hit in Germany

dtmeister wrote:
> flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Just to add to the appalingness of it all the final shot was of can
>>only be described as a distant facsimile of a bike. running gear and
>>about a foot of downtube left, with the word 'Bianchi' visible. looked
>>like a 'Luna' btw...

> I found the image of a Polar 710i on the bars, still counting away, even
> more disturbing... :((

wow... Yeah thats upsetting.

Jan-Christoph Westermann wrote:

> LotteBum schrieb:
>
> > Anyway, let's see what the Germans do about the reckless b!tch
> > responsible for this - maybe that will give us something to compare
> > with Mr McGee.

> Don't think much will happen to her...
> She is 18, so she will have to face juvenile court.
> As matters stand tonight (Germany, 8pm news) the cause of
> the accident is still unknown. My guess is that they would
> have detected alcohol quite soon. It could have been a burst
> tyre or speeding (or both).
> She will:
> - loose her driving licence (at least 6 month)
> - have to do the test for the licence again
> (about 400¤ cost in total)
> - maybe 2 years probation, almost certainly not prison
> - maybe some commutity service (100 hours?)
> - maybe a 'small' fine to the state, there isn't much to
> get from a 18 year old... (<=2000¤)
>
> Concerning compensation I got no idea, there are 'stantdard'
> rates that the insurance has cover, but I am no expert in this
> field. If it was a burst tyre even less will happen.
>
> > *fuming*

> Can't really help you there.
> I will keep an eye on this, but with all the fuss about election,
> Jan winning the TdF, Germany winning soccer world cup it may simply
> pass my (or the medias) attention.
>
> jcw

Originally I heard that the woman driving had her licence 4 weeks, but
this morning, the commercial channels were saying she was a learner.
Anything confirmed here?

Tam

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:22:18 +1000, EuanB
<[email protected]> wrote:

> When I was serving in Herford the police seemed to be pretty red hot on
>alcohol. I remember being told that while the limit is .05 same as over
>here, if you were in an accident with any alcohol in your system then
>you were automatically at least partially liable.
>
>Also leaving the scene of an accident is as good as admitting guilt.
>
>Maybe they were just scare stories to keep the British squaddie in line
>but the few I know who did get caught really copped it.

No. They really meant it. At least, they did when I was in Herford (my
girlfriend's father was provost marshal in Herford). And that was a
long time ago. Don't know how uniform the traffic laws are around the
German states and between the ex East and West.

--
Regards.
Richard.

Tamyka Bell schrieb:
> Originally I heard that the woman driving had her licence 4 weeks, but
> this morning, the commercial channels were saying she was a learner.
> Anything confirmed here?

AFAIK she had her driving licence, for a few weeks.
Those are the ones who usually make the fatal errors.

jcw

Jan-Christoph Westermann wrote:

> Tamyka Bell schrieb:
> > Originally I heard that the woman driving had her licence 4 weeks, but
> > this morning, the commercial channels were saying she was a learner.
> > Anything confirmed here?

> AFAIK she had her driving licence, for a few weeks.
> Those are the ones who usually make the fatal errors.
>
> jcw

Where did that stat come from (fatal errors one)?

Tam

LotteBum schrieb:
> That would, by the Australian justice system, be considered a 'hefty
> sentence'.

*phew* We get away with that??
You did notice three 'maybe' statements? I really cant tell what 'll
come out of this. Juvenile court is hard to predict. The programmer of
the SASSER virus didn't even get a probation.
In case of a defect (burst tyre) the sentence will be much 'softer'.

Info:
On streets like that you are allowed to go 100km/h, slight bend only,
so presumably no limit to 80 or 60 there. Street was dry on the pictures
I have seen.

jcw

Tamyka Bell schrieb:
>>AFAIK she had her driving licence, for a few weeks.
>>Those are the ones who usually make the fatal errors.

> Where did that stat come from (fatal errors one)?

Experience.
Almost every weekend a driving newbee would crah into the
trees after a night at the disco. Alcohol is often involved.
They are often discussing methods of keeping newbees out of
critical situations, but non seem fit to solve the problems.
The newbees cause almost 50% of all car crashes in germany,
often fatal, often by night.
It wasn't dark at the time of the accident though.

BTW:
No newsupdate this morning on the cause of the accident.
I cant find a webpage of a local newspaper, where i would expect
a more detailed coverage than on nation wide media.

jcw

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:17:57 +0200, Jan-Christoph Westermann wrote:

> Almost every weekend a driving newbee would crah into the
> trees after a night at the disco. Alcohol is often involved.

It's a bit rough on the trees, but probably worth it to take
the idiots out of the gene pool.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

Michael Warner schrieb:
>>Almost every weekend a driving newbee would crah into the
>>trees after a night at the disco. Alcohol is often involved.

>It's a bit rough on the trees, but probably worth it to take
>the idiots out of the gene pool.

Yes, but what about the trees? After three impacts even an
oak may fall.

jcw

Michael wrote:
> Jan-Christoph wrote:
>>Almost every weekend a driving newbee would crah into the
>>trees after a night at the disco. Alcohol is often involved.

> It's a bit rough on the trees, but probably worth it to take
> the idiots out of the gene pool.

bring back steel dashes, ban seat belts and air bags.
hopefully people will drive more safely then.

air bags on the bumpers for the trees might be a good move.

kim

Jan-Christoph Westermann said:
Info:
On streets like that you are allowed to go 100km/h, slight bend only,
so presumably no limit to 80 or 60 there. Street was dry on the pictures
I have seen.

From the TV picture's I've seen, I don't get how someone could lose control at 100.

aeek schrieb:
>>Info:
>>On streets like that you are allowed to go 100km/h, slight bend only,
>>so presumably no limit to 80 or 60 there. Street was dry on the
>>pictures
>>I have seen.
>>

>From the TV picture's I've seen, I don't get how someone could lose
>control at 100.

She could have been faster. She could have tried to evade wild animals
on the street. The car may have been 'overpeowered' for a beginner.
Or maybe she 'just' fell asleep at the steering wheel. No news on the
cause yet.

jcw

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:55:11 +1000, LotteBum
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You have a point, Euan...
>
>Having said that, I still think it is important that justice is served
>and it will, for me at least, be interesting to see what happens to the
>young lady responsible for the accident.

It's very important that justice is served, but maybe she's not
responsible for it. Maybe something random happened
that none of us know about that caused the accident.

Sometimes, people get struck by lightening.

Carl Brewer said:
Sometimes, people get struck by lightening.

or sometimes people are just idiots! (not the goirl involved. jury out for me on that situation...)

Anybody seen the ignorant/idiotic/irrelevant comments in today's 'little paper' about bikes on roads???

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. that'll push you into E13 fer sure...

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:21:09 +1000, flyingdutch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes, people get struck by lightening.

>or sometimes people are just idiots! (not the goirl involved. jury out
>for me on that situation...)

We don't know how it happened or why yet. Aparently the
driver's in pretty bad shape too. Imagine being
her if she'd swerved to avoid hitting a local equivalent of a
wombat or something? We just don't know.

>Anybody seen the ignorant/idiotic/irrelevant comments in today's
>'little paper' about bikes on roads???

In the Melbourne Daily Astonisher?

flyingdutch said:
or sometimes people are just idiots! (not the goirl involved. jury out for me on that situation...)

Anybody seen the ignorant/idiotic/irrelevant comments in today's 'little paper' about bikes on roads???

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. that'll push you into E13 fer sure...

Yeah. So much for not politicising the issue :-(
--
Cheers
Euan

From ABC NewsMail (and presumably on the ABC News site) "Doctors fear
for critically injured cyclists":

Two psychologists from the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) have
arrived in Germany. AIS head Peter Fricker says they have a huge job
ahead.

"There is no set system for these things but we anticipate 12 to 24
months of working with these kids," he said.

That is thought to be the main injury of the girl who was driving the
car, an 18-year-old who had just started to drive.

"As far as I am able to declare she has had no major injuries, besides
the heavy traumatisation of her mind I guess," Paramedic Raik Schafer
said.
******

Interesting, I thought the 18-year-old was in a serious condition or
something... perhaps misreporting?

Tam

In article <[email protected]>,
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anybody seen the ignorant/idiotic/irrelevant comments in today's
> 'little paper' about bikes on roads???

What would the result have been if they'd been in the same place at the
same speed, only in a car? A head-on, with one car going about 100kmh
and the other about 70kmh. Doesn't sound much more appealling...

--
Shane Stanley

Carl Brewer wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:21:09 +1000, flyingdutch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Carl Brewer Wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes, people get struck by lightening.

>>or sometimes people are just idiots! (not the goirl involved. jury out
>>for me on that situation...)

> We don't know how it happened or why yet. Aparently the
> driver's in pretty bad shape too. Imagine being
> her if she'd swerved to avoid hitting a local equivalent of a
> wombat or something? We just don't know.

What is the local equivilend of a wombat anyway?

WHen I was in england near Bovington there was a sign ¨Caution frog
crossing ¨ and about a klick down the road another ¨Caution tank
crossing¨ Bit of a difference in threat to the driver hey? Not
of course a difference to the frog.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:18:04 +1000, Shane Stanley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Anybody seen the ignorant/idiotic/irrelevant comments in today's
>> 'little paper' about bikes on roads???

>What would the result have been if they'd been in the same place at the
>same speed, only in a car? A head-on, with one car going about 100kmh
>and the other about 70kmh. Doesn't sound much more appealling...

Probably more would have died.