Almost hit by a Flying Dog....

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
Now, this is the most bizzare tale (Tail), but before I go on, I'd like to point out that I'm an Animal Lover, we have 3 Cats and I'd love a Dog if we weren't out at work all Day...but here goes...

I decided to go out for a ride today, a 10 mile round-trip to Supergo to pick up some stuff, I told my wife I'd meet her there..

So there I was, peddling my **** off in the Bike Lane on a 3-lane busy road when I saw a liddle white Maltese Poodle standing on the Sidewalk looking at me...

I was thinking...no way, he's not gonna run out...is he?

So as I approached him he ran right in front of me into the slow lane and stopped to stare ...a couple of seconds later, a Car came speeding up and POW!!!.....I wanted to close my eyes because it looked as though he was going under the front wheel...but the Car sent him about three feet into the air and he/she was catapulted right in front of me again and hit the kerb....

It was quite surreal....I remember thinking...did that really happen??

Has anyone on this Board ever been almost knocked off their Bike by a Flying (dead) Dog?? (I assume he was dead by the sickening thud as he connected with a Car that was probably going 50mph)

How would I have explained that to the Paramedics??
:(

I have experienced almost the same thing, but with a person, fellow cyclist. He was hit by a car too and I watched no way this is happening. It looked like from Matrix-he was spinning in the air-the result was only few broken bones. His bike Bianchi looked like a Corratec Superbow fan after the crash:)

This morning we were out (about 20 of us) training. We were belting along Old Cleveland Rd a bit west of Capalaba.

As we were passing a plant nursery/garden centre, the guy was opening up for the day & putting his footpath display out.

Just so happens he likes (it would appear) to let his damnably stupid pekinese looking dogs (a pair mind you) out to roam about in the early morning.

I'm sure that most mornings - while probably in-bred - these dogs are reasonably well behaved. However today the sight of 20 of us belting along at about 40km/hr was too much for them.

The ran straight onto the road in the middle of our group.

What chaos. I was second wheel and only bumped the rear cluster of the guy in front. There was only ONE fall and he was okay.

It could have been VERY bad. Fortunately these animals stood frozen to the spot while we hurtled around them.....

Close call.

Originally posted by Author
I have experienced almost the same thing, but with a person, fellow cyclist. He was hit by a car too and I watched no way this is happening. It looked like from Matrix-he was spinning in the air-the result was only few broken bones. His bike Bianchi looked like a Corratec Superbow fan after the crash:)

Yes, it's quite bizzare isn't it? It was like everything was in slow motion but the whole scenario in my case lasted about 4 seconds...I guess Bikes attract Dogs...

Anyone who takes their Dog for a walk along a busy street without a Leash not only risks killing their beloved Dog but other road users too...that Car could have swerved and hit me, or swerved into the next lane and caused a pile-up....

Originally posted by xc_gumby
This morning we were out (about 20 of us) training. We were belting along Old Cleveland Rd a bit west of Capalaba.

As we were passing a plant nursery/garden centre, the guy was opening up for the day & putting his footpath display out.

Just so happens he likes (it would appear) to let his damnably stupid pekinese looking dogs (a pair mind you) out to roam about in the early morning.

I'm sure that most mornings - while probably in-bred - these dogs are reasonably well behaved. However today the sight of 20 of us belting along at about 40km/hr was too much for them.

The ran straight onto the road in the middle of our group.

What chaos. I was second wheel and only bumped the rear cluster of the guy in front. There was only ONE fall and he was okay.

It could have been VERY bad. Fortunately these animals stood frozen to the spot while we hurtled around them.....

Close call.

Whoa, I'm glad nobody was hurt, that could have been much more, erm, spectacular than my near demise, hit by a flying, dead Maltese Poodle....

Having said that, I still hold the dubious honor of almost being knocked off my Bike by a Dead Dog....:(

Until this morning i had nothing to add to this thread

My girlfriend and I were out on our usual lap this morning and i was cruising down a nice straight hill at about 35km/hr when this huge Rottweiler comes charging out of a side street snarling and barking and heads straight for me!!

I almost lost it and luckily he passed behind me and just in front of my girlfriend. If he had connected with either one of us i reckon he was going to take a big chunk out of someone.

If it had i was going to beat the **** out of the dog and go looking for the owner and put it in hospital too:mad:

Years ago , riding a 750 Suzuki , a cat ran between my front and rear wheels while I was driving at 40 mph , saw him coming , going and some how never touched him . How ? the space was about 4 feet , but that´s cats for you and like bells it don´t pay to think too much about them .

Hands up all those who have or have nearly bitten tarmac from dog attacks ? Yes just about everybody .

Was cycling in upstate NY a few years back and large Great Dane puppy decided to lope along beside me. An oncoming car killed him but the driver stopped and rather tenderly laid him out on the verge. Another time saw pit bull racing down a field towards me, near Syracuse, and I don't think Lance could have stayed with me at that point.

My dog goes absolutely mental at the mere sight of a bike - I don't think its that unusual...

On one of the rides I do, I pass a farm where they have three or four large dogs, and each time I pass there, the silence is shattered as the dogs go apes**t... practically makes me **** myself every time!

When I was back at school in Brisbane we had a cycling camp where at my high school we were divided up and some kids got to ride for a few days along the NSW-QLD border.

One day after riding all day up a mountain everyone was flying down the other side, from all reports everyone was doing around 40km/hr. Cars were overtaking but not that much faster, they were probably doing 10km over and one ute ( pickup ) had a big german shephard in the back, as they overtook one guy the dog leapt out onto him from the back of the car, there was a tumble of bike, boy and dog for a long way and a lot of skin was lost.

The ute pulled over down the road, door open, the shephard got up, ran down the road and jumped in and they took off!

The kid from my school was alright, he was driven to the doctors and then back to Brisbane.