alone or in group???

zewol

Nov 28, 2003
Hi all,

Next summer will be my first road biking (used to mianly do MTB) ,and I am looking to train a lot...I was wondering if it may be a good idea to be a member of a cycling club that organize weekly rides and some during the week or it is not suitable to train. I think it may be useful to make contacts and learn a few tricks about the sport but I don't want to waist my money either...

Wath are your feelings about this or even your experiences???

thanks

Getting in a club is the best way to go. You may not choose to do all your training in a group (often you can be more specific on your own) but group training rides will build your skills, allow you to learn from others and give you some company when getting the big miles in. Lots of clubs at this time of year are running training rides that are fairly close to racing level to allow you to make the step up into races.

find a club!

i used to train on my own and when i entered my first race i thought i was going to do quite well, it didn't turn out that way.
the speed was a lot faster than i expected, and the changes in speed hit me. so i got my butt kicked

i joined a club properly and started going on the training rides, but still did my own training on week nights to supplement the club runs.
it worked really well and my new club have a lot of confidence in me.
you can also have someone to talk to on the rides and get any advice if you train with a club.

chris

Originally posted by zewol
Hi all,

Next summer will be my first road biking (used to mianly do MTB) ,and I am looking to train a lot...I was wondering if it may be a good idea to be a member of a cycling club that organize weekly rides and some during the week or it is not suitable to train. I think it may be useful to make contacts and learn a few tricks about the sport but I don't want to waist my money either...

Wath are your feelings about this or even your experiences???

thanks

6 of one - half dozen of the other !
Training on your own is beneficial - as is training in a group.
From what you've said, you've never been with a club : so by joining a club you will derive obvious benefits and training tips.

The problem with training with a group is that you may feel that
your performances may not be able to match those stronger members of the group and this can knock your confidence.
Whereas training by yourself, you have nothing to measure your performance against !

I think you're better in a group, in an overall sense.
As in life, there are always going to be people better than you and it's how you learn from this, is what's ultimately important.
Of course, being part of a group means that you can also train by yourself when you wish to.

Yup, find a club. It's very benificial and fun to boot!

You'll need the skills of riding in a group and the connections for teams etc if you get into racing much.

At the very least go ride with them a few times then join up. I'm sure you'll love it.

C-

thanks guys,

Following your advices I think I'll give it a shot, and the membership fee is only 30$can so it is not that expensive...