Am I doing too much in one day?

MLMercer

Nov 13, 2004
Hi guys,

I've been commuting to and from work for a few months now - its a 45 min ride in and about an hour home (the scenic way). I do this every Monday Wednesday and Friday.

Can anyone tell me if I am better off riding one way each day (in one day and and home the next) so that I ride more frequently - rather than riding every second day I would be riding every day... (This is doable as I have numberous people I can get lifts from.)

What would most benefit my fittness and fat burning?

Any opionions/advice greatly apprecaited. :eek:

M

2 hours a day isnt a huge amount.. especialy with a break at weekends.

depends on how fast your going also..

MLMercer said:
Hi guys,

I've been commuting to and from work for a few months now - its a 45 min ride in and about an hour home (the scenic way). I do this every Monday Wednesday and Friday.

Can anyone tell me if I am better off riding one way each day (in one day and and home the next) so that I ride more frequently - rather than riding every second day I would be riding every day... (This is doable as I have numberous people I can get lifts from.)

M
If memory serves, you will burn more calories by doing three 2 hour sessions than by doing six 1 hour sessions per week provided everything else is held constant. This is because it takes something like 20 minutes for your body to adjust to exercise and start burning them efficiently.

However, from a fitness/health perspective, I don't remember which provides the best overall gain. I'm inclined to say that the three 2 hour sessions would provide better gains in fitness also, but I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else could chime in?

The ideal is to cycle as much as you can but with no added weight, if possible. What I do is cycle to work with a heavy load of stuff I need which I lock up in a cupboard. On the way home, therefore, I have no baggage to carry and I try and get myself back home as soon as I can.
However, I loathe cycling back home when it's windy. I time myself by the clock in the main, cobbled square but my time will certainly be down if it's windy.

MLMercer said:
Hi guys,

M

MLM,

Good question....Dr. Morbius is right, but for the wrong reason. That is, all else being equal you will burn more calories with the longer rides because efficiency decreases with duration. However, that difference will be negligible in a 2hr ride.
It's probably a matter of preference, but do you ride on the weekends? If so, taking 2 days off will keep you mentally fresh and hungry for more. If not, you could do 5 rides during the week and vary them according to a plan. In other words, you could mix some intensity in 2 or 3 days with easier rides the other days.
Just be sure to throw at least some intensity in a couple days per week to maintain fitness.
good riding to you