Am I in the right bike tech group?

On 25 Apr 2005 22:12:19 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>How come I'm getting so few responses to my posts? Aren't they
>controversial enough? Come on you guys, check these out again:
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=12&hl=en&#doc_2e49e1709fdf1c33
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=13&hl=en&#doc_04b0e408df0c4e3a
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=14&hl=en&#doc_4aa820f7ffca4b31
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...=danlchris&rnum=3&hl=en&#doc_03330c9bf370d4ca
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...=danlchris&rnum=4&hl=en&#doc_56b6bbe8e14fe280
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d&noheader=1&q=danlchris#doc_db5bd1af76f685f5
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d&noheader=1&q=danlchris#doc_2bda8ccb81b0a17a
>
>Or maybe I'm just not posting at the right time and place?

I didn't want to say anything, but it's your breath. Well, that, and the suit,
sort of a lost luggage weave, isn't it. Maybe the one brown, one blue eye thing.
Who knows. Maybe people are put off by the badger poking it's head up above your
belt buckle. And, yes, you should zip that thing up. Wear clean underwear next
time if it's gonna show. Anyway, just speculating.

Ron

Seems to me you're just fishing - or, to use the parlance - trolling.
People may or may not respond to trolling.

As the song goes, "many fish bite if you gots good bait". Which either
means you have a real issue or spark controversy.

App, who looked at your first post and stopped, just like everyone else.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>How come I'm getting so few responses to my posts? Aren't they
>controversial enough? Come on you guys, check these out again:
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=12&hl=en&#doc_2e49e1709fdf1c33

Expected group response: a silent "Try it and see what happens."
(That was my thought.)

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=13&hl=en&#doc_04b0e408df0c4e3a

Nothing to respond to IMO.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=14&hl=en&#doc_4aa820f7ffca4b31

Nothing to disagree with IMO, and covered neatly.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...=danlchris&rnum=3&hl=en&#doc_03330c9bf370d4ca

Variance from accepted practice, and it doesn't remove accumulated
cruft and/or contaminated grease, but I doubt that anyone felt that it
was worth expounding upon; the effects of such practices are widely
considered self-educating in time.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...=danlchris&rnum=4&hl=en&#doc_56b6bbe8e14fe280

Nothing controversial IMO.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d&noheader=1&q=danlchris#doc_db5bd1af76f685f5

The method described worked well with older one-bolt stems, but that's
not the matter under discussion in the thread.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d&noheader=1&q=danlchris#doc_2bda8ccb81b0a17a

Topic of your post was beaten into submission a while back; frame flex
isn't the cause of shimmy, resonant vibration in the bike/rider system
is. If the frame has a harmonic resonant flex frequency, it's in the
audible range; shimmy at that frequency in the amplitude seen with
real events would be slinging bits of rider into the next county.

>Or maybe I'm just not posting at the right time and place?

Possibly, in some cases.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> Am I in the right bike tech group?

This depends on you. Ask yourself:

- Are you a free thinker?
- Are you primarily looking for technical information about bikes,
rather than for social interaction?
- Do you have difficulty supplanting your true beliefs with
those of your employer, family, church, and the other cults
to which you belong?

If you answered yes to any of these, you are probably in the wrong
group. [1] [2]
[1] Of course, in this case, there may be no right group for you.
[2] You can still find plenty of very useful tech info here.

On the other hand:

- Do you think all frame materials feel the same?
- Do you think that if racers don't need something then you don't
either?
- Do you think a bicycle wheel stands on it's bottom spoke?

If you answered yes to any of these, you are probably in the right
group.

Cheers,
Doug

-----
This life is a test. It is only a test. Had it been an actual life
you would have received further instructions regarding where to go
and what to do.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2005 22:12:19 -0700, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >How come I'm getting so few responses to my posts? Aren't they
> >controversial enough? Come on you guys, check these out again:

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=12&hl=en&#doc_2e49e1709fdf1c33
>
> Expected group response: a silent "Try it and see what happens."
> (That was my thought.)

You're right, I've never offset rear-ends, but why try and see? Like I
said, I heard it was a common practice in European racing in the 70s
and 80s. If so, it must work.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=13&hl=en&#doc_04b0e408df0c4e3a
>
> Nothing to respond to IMO.
>

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...danlchris&rnum=14&hl=en&#doc_4aa820f7ffca4b31
>
> Nothing to disagree with IMO, and covered neatly.
>

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...=danlchris&rnum=3&hl=en&#doc_03330c9bf370d4ca
>
> Variance from accepted practice, and it doesn't remove accumulated
> cruft and/or contaminated grease, but I doubt that anyone felt that

it
> was worth expounding upon; the effects of such practices are widely
> considered self-educating in time.

I adopted the adding grease technique when I realized that customer's
hubs really needed grease, but for lower end or marginal bikes, they
usually didn't want to pay another $15-20 for each hub overhauled.

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...=danlchris&rnum=4&hl=en&#doc_56b6bbe8e14fe280
>
> Nothing controversial IMO.
>

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d&noheader=1&q=danlchris#doc_db5bd1af76f685f5
>
> The method described worked well with older one-bolt stems, but

that's
> not the matter under discussion in the thread.
>

>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...d&noheader=1&q=danlchris#doc_2bda8ccb81b0a17a
>
> Topic of your post was beaten into submission a while back; frame

flex
> isn't the cause of shimmy, resonant vibration in the bike/rider

system
> is. If the frame has a harmonic resonant flex frequency, it's in the
> audible range; shimmy at that frequency in the amplitude seen with
> real events would be slinging bits of rider into the next county.

That may be true. I'm just saying that shimmy can be diminished, even
virtually eliminated by the proper frame design that I suggested.

Thanks for the response, though. You've got the most interesting
nickname -- what does it mean?

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Am I in the right bike tech group?

> This depends on you. Ask yourself:
>
> - Are you a free thinker?
> - Are you primarily looking for technical information about bikes,
> rather than for social interaction?
> - Do you have difficulty supplanting your true beliefs with
> those of your employer, family, church, and the other cults
> to which you belong?
>
> If you answered yes to any of these, you are probably in the wrong
> group. [1] [2]
> [1] Of course, in this case, there may be no right group for you.
> [2] You can still find plenty of very useful tech info here.
>
> On the other hand:
>
> - Do you think all frame materials feel the same?
> - Do you think that if racers don't need something then you don't
> either?
> - Do you think a bicycle wheel stands on it's bottom spoke?
>
> If you answered yes to any of these, you are probably in the right
> group.
>
> Cheers,
> Doug
>
> -----
> This life is a test. It is only a test. Had it been an actual life
> you would have received further instructions regarding where to go
> and what to do.

I answered yes to the first set of questions and no to the second set.
But still, you guys are convincing me that I really am in the RIGHT
group! Where else can you find these kind of responses?

Dano