American made Bikes, I'm surprised!

Originally posted by sm266
I shopped at my LOCAL bike shop to buy a Giant OCR1, FeltF60, Specialized Epic, and Santa Cruz Blur. 3 of the bikes were made in Taiwan, but the LOCAL bike shop got my business. Who says the welders in America are better than the welders in Taiwan?

The Taiwanese bikes were better bang for the buck against their competition: better groupsets, bars, etc. Saving the $$$ on the Taiwanese bikes allowed me to walk into my LOCAL grocery store and buy a little extra there. It balances.

Cannondale, Trek, and Gary Fisher doesn't get my money because they can't compete.

Remember,

You always get what you pay for, and remember that Giant and Felt do not carry lifetime frame warranties, as Trek, Gary Fisher and Cannondale do.

Warranties aren't a selling point with me. Certainly not like getting a better groupset for less money is. They all use the same aluminum.

Even if a frame DOES carry a lifetime warranty, after several yearsof use, there will be better frames about, or your current frame will simply not look as good as it used to. What I am saying is, a lot of people will have upgraded their main bike by the time the 5 year warranty runs out. If the bike is then being used as a day bike or runaround, it is not such a big deal if the frame goes.

Originally posted by bag_head
Has there ever been a American bike in the Tour De France which is 100 % american??

Nup, because every bike in the pro peleton for the last god knows how many years has run either shimano or campagnolo components.

In fact I believe that until Lance won the tour no one in the modern era had ever won on shimano.

The idea that something is built better just because it is made in a certain country is a very blinkered view.

The beautiful thing about the free market is that no one is making you buy anything. If you want a bike with a frame made in the US, it's not hard to find one. Market forces at work you know!!!!

Personally, I don't descriminate based on where a bike is made. Welding isn't exactly a super high tech process and numberous companies/countries have proven to be perfectly capable of making a quality bicycle frame. I have an "Italian" bike (Bianchi) which was fabricated in Taiwan and fitted with parts from all over the world. Even something as simple as a bicycle can provide a fine example of the global economy at work.

Over here in the US we enjoy a remarkable level of wealth. While it may create a bit of pain to lose some jobs in the short term, it is in our long term self-interest to raise global living standards and support economic/social freedom for all people around the world. Free trade isn't "free" - we have to accept the costs to fully realize the benefits.

Specialized = completely made and pre-assembled in Taiwan, even S-Works models/frames (Specialized = more than 50% share owned by Merida, Taiwan)
Trek = most of their lineup made in Taiwan, except maybe OCLV and some high-end models, but here I'm not that shure about it. I think they only assemble the high-end models in the US
Gary Fisher (which is owned by Trek) = same as Trek
Kona = made and pre-assembled in Taiwan/Vietnam, depending on the model

etc. etc.

So what?

If this is disturbing you, the solution is simple. Stop buying their products.

Write the CEO's of these "american" bicycle companys a letter that you're ****** off and that they suck that their bikes are not made in the US and that you're ready to pay more for a US made model.

Support your local bicycle builder and have him make the bike of your dreams, even if it will cost you twice or triple as much (also, you'll probably have to pass on a couple of the new "sweatshop" technologies like hydroforming, shotgut tubing etc.).

thomasward00 said:
Yes I do understand what free trade is, and let me tell you that american companies build the best product in any category. Maybe not at a very cheap price point but for high end items, and also there is a huge difference between the european countries and the quality products they produce, france and italy forget it, they may have style but are trash, U.K. okay, Germany builds the best products out of the european countries, it has always been that way. I guess it's because they have one of the best educational systems in the world, I know this because my wife is german.

Ok, now that this discussion has gone to pointless. Actually the manufacturing jobs that are going overseas is really minor, most assembly and such is done by less people overall then was done in the past thanks to automation and the like. You patriotism is abit misplaced I would be more angry if the bike companys started shipping their customer Support to Asia and India like the major PC manufacturers. If you can't understand someone or explain things properly then your in more trouble then if a part is built to the same standards that they are here and didn't come from the US. BTW, Taiwan, China, Isreal, and Germany have some of the most advanced and best fabs for making computer parts and most the parts in your computer don't come from anywhere near the US just devoleped here.

thomasward00 said:
Remember,

You always get what you pay for, and remember that Giant and Felt do not carry lifetime frame warranties, as Trek, Gary Fisher and Cannondale do.
Just few corrections on all this discussion, I think when you say "American made bike" or "Made In USA", you are only talking about the frame not a complete bike. American made frame does not qualify as American made bike. Look over your bike before making that statement.

I have Titus, handmade frame in AZ, USA. The frame is made in USA, but all the drivetrain components are Shimano XT and most of other components are also not from US.

Second, Giant and Specialized do offer lifetime frame warranties like Trek, GF and Cannondale do.

Lastly, all this talk comes down to Economics 101, supply vs. demand. I for one, look for the BEST VALUE when it comes time to spend my hard earned US money.

I now ride a Tomac good bike but for a company with the name AMERICAN BIKE you would think! Any way I'll get my 4-5 years out of it and save for that sweet Sinister FS yet to be named.There Home town boys from Vermont and if you havent seen there work its pretty special.

why do you think that American workmanship is any better that Japanese or Taiwanese? a bit of a parochial attitude going on i think.

Fact: product quailty is not related to standards of pay

people are paid less in Asia because the cost of living in significantly less, therefore American and European manufacturers have traditionally outsourced to Asian manufacturers to cut costs. If you buy an 'expensive' Asian built bike you can be sure that it is as good as (if not better) that an American built bike.

all you are doing is supporting your country, nothing wrong with that but it is clouding your judgement and views.

MTB are really much like religion. Which everyone suits your needs and you feel most comfortable with. I personally like Trek, not because it's American (I am Canadian), but because I really like the bike. The other two brands I like are Specialized and Kona.

:cool:

thomasward00 said:
I think what this country needs right now is a little XENOPHOBIA, have you seen the unemployment rate in this country? I don't have a problem with american companies using asian factories for products sold in those markets, or Asian companies like shimano, building their components in asian factories, I have a problem with American companies that try to wring every last penny of profit by using cheap labor, at the expense of american labor.
Spend your money where you like, but when you loose your job, because your company can do the job cheaper overseas, then you will change your opinion.
Dude,
Educate yourself. Unemployment in the old USA is at 10 year lows. Once again below 5%. European countries typically have twice the unemployment rates that we enjoy. If we never bought products produced cheaply overseas, you would still have your choice of a Ford, Chevrolet, or Chrysler that was expected to last about 3 years.

Maybe we should also only buy bikes and components that have been designed and produced in our own states or our own cities so that we don't lose jobs to any of our neighbors. If you live in Texas then, for God's sake, don't buy a bike made in California!!!! It is a big world, if someone does something better and/or more efficiently then maybe we should learn from them like we have attempted to do from Toyota, Datsun (Yes, I said Datsun. For those who have never heard of it, it is now called Nissan), Honda, etc.