Amstel Gold

Really tough call... As Amstel always is.
Rebellin, Valverde, Dekker, Gesink, Ricco, Kroon, Schlecks, Kirchen, Cunego. These are top favorites, in my opinion. And if I'd list outside favorites... I have no idea how long the list would be.

My pick is Kroon.

I am surprised that even the Amstel Gold website lists Astana as being based in LUX. Are they really registered in Luxembourg or something?

BTW, I was unable to find a readable profile of the race. The race site shows the profile as a banner, but it is almost unreadable. What is the maximum climb involved?

TheDarkLord said:
I am surprised that even the Amstel Gold website lists Astana as being based in LUX. Are they really registered in Luxembourg or something?

BTW, I was unable to find a readable profile of the race. The race site shows the profile as a banner, but it is almost unreadable. What is the maximum climb involved?
yes Astana is registered in Luxembourg.

Andrija said:
Really tough call... As Amstel always is.
Rebellin, Valverde, Dekker, Gesink, Ricco, Kroon, Schlecks, Kirchen, Cunego. These are top favorites, in my opinion. And if I'd list outside favorites... I have no idea how long the list would be.

My pick is Kroon.
You didn't mention Freire?... :confused:

Last year Amstel was a fantastic race until 4km to go when party animal Schumacher dribbled off the front and the other clowns watched him ride away.

Unlike Liege where the whole race sucked except for the last 4km. Maybe they could amalgamate or edit the best bits from Amstel and Liege from last year into one good race and make one **** race with the leftovers?

classic1 said:
Last year Amstel was a fantastic race until 4km to go when party animal Schumacher dribbled off the front and the other clowns watched him ride away.

Unlike Liege where the whole race sucked except for the last 4km. Maybe they could amalgamate or edit the best bits from Amstel and Liege from last year into one good race and make one **** race with the leftovers?
Oh don't know why I can't stop chuckling at this post... :p

Crankyfeet said:
You didn't mention Freire?... :confused:
I thought about him too, but the course is a bit hilly for him (his attacks in Amstel were always unsuccessful), his form is on down curve in this part of season and Dekker and Gesink are looking like better choice for Rabo.
Freire is a long shot for this one.

Powerful Pete said:
Interesting choice. He has been quiet since having some good racing in the Paris Nice... I wonder...
He did well at Pais Vasco, winning a really hard stage in awful conditions. He then did a good time trial the following day. He has to be in good condition.

I hate to say it since I have a hard time dealing with his suspicious blood results before the Worlds and his amphetamine/car wrack mess, but I'll still go for Schumi....

"Kids, never, ever do drugs and never, ever drink and drive." Schumi should make that loud and clear....

He was drunk driving and used ecstasy. Why he got of the hook?