Another 6 Speed upgrade

biker10

Oct 8, 2003
Hey all I've done some searching on this site and found answers to most of my questions but I had a few more. I have an older Fuji Allegro 12spd that I would like to upgrade to 8 or 9 speed with STI shifters. The bike currently has 27"wheels but it looks like there is enough play in the brakes to use 700c wheels. I'll probably get a 9 speed upgrade kit that would include Shift/brake lever, cassette, rear derailleur and chain. My question is will I need to replace the front derailleur and crank or will what I have work? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by biker10
Hey all I've done some searching on this site and found answers to most of my questions but I had a few more. I have an older Fuji Allegro 12spd that I would like to upgrade to 8 or 9 speed with STI shifters. The bike currently has 27"wheels but it looks like there is enough play in the brakes to use 700c wheels. I'll probably get a 9 speed upgrade kit that would include Shift/brake lever, cassette, rear derailleur and chain. My question is will I need to replace the front derailleur and crank or will what I have work? Thanks in advance.
Your big problem is going to be trying to stick that 9 speed cassette on your old hub. Spring for a newer crank or at least chainrings and FD. You may as well go whole hog on that beater.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Your big problem is going to be trying to stick that 9 speed cassette on your old hub. Spring for a newer crank or at least chainrings and FD. You may as well go whole hog on that beater.

That's what I was thinking but just wanted to lnow if it was needed or just recomended. Might have to do it in stages so I want to plan out what needs to be done.

Sorry should have mentioned that I'll be getting a 8/9 speed wheelset also.

Originally posted by biker10

Hey-
I am in a similar boat as you. I have a 1987 Nishiki Custom. It was an average bike at-best back then - a total beater now. It rides fine though and is very comfortable for long rides. BUT- I broke a spoke; turns out the back rim (original with a BUNCH of miles on it) was untruable, and the back hub was shot. I thought of upgrading all the components in a very similar way as what you describe. AFter a bunch of research I cam to one conclusion: Don't do it! It is not worth the money. What you will have at the end of your upgrading is a beater with cheap (but new) components. You will probably end up spending several hundred dollars after it is all said and done. Save that money and buy a used one off of Ebay. My buddy just bought a lightly used 2000 Klein Quantam with 105 for $600 shipped. Admittedly, that is a great deal, but they are out there.
FWIW, my .02