Another anti-cycling letter in a local newspaper

"gbeyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the good
> ol' US you always have to be on the road. In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use the
> bike road or the normal road.

Actually it is worse than that. In some places in Europe you are not allowed to use the normal road
where a bike path is provided. The trend is to towards permitting cycling on roads because of the
overwhelming safety benefit.

> The bike road is separate but normally follows the main road, but not always. Road crossings are
> designed to be away from the normal traffic crossing at busy intersections.

Which is the main reason they are so dangerous. By moving the cycle crossing away from the rest of
the traffic movements you are minimising the visibility and thus awarenes of vehicles that are about
to cross each others paths.

If you think this is a good idea then no doubt you will be advocating wearing dark clothes and
riding without lights at night.

> I wish the local US governments would take bike riding seriously and build bike paths in the US.
> Someday I may want to come back.

Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the road and obeys the normal rules of traffic.

"Peter Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "gbeyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the
> > good ol' US you always have to be on the road. In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use
> > the bike road or the normal road.
>
> Actually it is worse than that. In some places in Europe you are not allowed to use the normal
> road where a bike path is provided.

I think that is the case in Germany, when a obligatory bike path is provided, but you can still ride
on the road if you can argue that it is safer (StVO experts please correct me if I've got it wrong).
In town, I'm nearly always towing a trailer which doesn't fit on many bike paths, so I guess I'm
automatically excused complying.

"Tony W" <[email protected]>typed

> "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1g169r7.dl2vq710ny17zN%[email protected]...
> > Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > (former resident of Harlow,
> >
> > Ahh Harlow , the only place where I have been in the middle of the counryside and seen a sign
> > saying "Harlow 1/4 mile" and it was right, in 1/4 mile Harlow started with a bang, it was if it
> > had been lowered into place on a cakeboard.

> The good news is that it ends just as sharply.

> : )

I left the place nearly 40 years ago and have scant memories only. This I do not regret...

"Peter Owens" <[email protected]> wrote

> Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the road and obeys the normal rules of traffic.

Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the trails and has no rules to worry about.

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:53:49 +0100, "Andy P" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Peter Owens" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the road and obeys the normal rules of traffic.
>
>Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the trails and has no rules to worry about.

I take bike riding seriously (as I don't drive) but have a road bike with aluminium rims - how much
riding would I do on the trails before needing a new bike ?

(didya feel that tug on yer leg there? :)

Gary

Andy P wrote:
> "Peter Owens" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the road and obeys the normal rules of traffic.
>
> Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the trails and has no rules to worry about.

You are taking the **** ?

Trails are for recreational riding. RR is a leasure pursuit, a bit like bowling.

Roads are for getting from one place to another, or for riding on a road bike to enjoy the process,
get fit or find the zen of bonk.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the road and obeys the normal rules of traffic.
> >
> > Anyone who takes bike riding seriously rides on the trails and has no rules to worry about.
>
> You are taking the **** ?

Just a flippant comment offered without any thought whatsoever.

> Trails are for recreational riding. RR is a leasure pursuit, a bit like bowling.
>
> Roads are for getting from one place to another, or for riding on a road bike to enjoy the
> process, get fit or find the zen of bonk.

Trails can be a means of getting from A to B just the same as roads. My trips to visit various
people and then get back to work at 5 am Monday morning are usually only ever fully on road if it's
bad weather or very muddy. Offroad can actually be quicker in one or two places.

What's this "zen of bonk" stuff then. As far as zen like experiences go in my running and biking I
have found the best ones come from road cycling in the dark in heavy traffic.