Another anti-cycling letter in a local newspaper

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> And getting lost can be dangerous.. I think there must be folk still riding through MK trying to
> escape... A cross between the Flying Dutchman and those Japenese soldiers who still though the war
> was on in the Phillipines jungle...

As with all 'new towns' an 'out by one' error on any junction on bike, car or feet can be
disastrous. Off into the twilight zone of strange estates that all look just the same.

The ONLY tactic on realising you are lost is to continue in as close to a straight line as possible
until you reach 'civilisation' (aka anywhere that is NOT a new town) and start over again.

:~)

(former resident of Harlow, and neighbour of Stevenage, Leverkusen and MK)

Tony W must be edykated coz e writed:

> "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> And getting lost can be dangerous.. I think there must be folk still riding through MK trying to
>> escape... A cross between the Flying Dutchman and those Japenese soldiers who still though the
>> war was on in the Phillipines jungle...
>
> As with all 'new towns' an 'out by one' error on any junction on bike, car or feet can be
> disastrous. Off into the twilight zone of strange estates that all look just the same.
>
> The ONLY tactic on realising you are lost is to continue in as close to a straight line as
> possible until you reach 'civilisation' (aka anywhere that is NOT a new town) and start
> over again.

> :~)
>

> (former resident of Harlow, and neighbour of Stevenage, Leverkusen and MK)

All roads in MK lead back to the centre, it uses interspacial distortion to trap the unwary.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

"Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB861444.FCC8%[email protected]...

> All roads in MK lead back to the centre, it uses interspacial distortion
> trap the unwary.

Sorry, forgot to mention -- you need the anti interspatial distortion distortion generator(a
tin-foil hat) to block the distortion generator. It also protects against alien abductions.

Of course, it does not work in Central MK where they have anti anti IDG devices -- unless you have
your own anti anti anti IDG device.

: )

In article <[email protected]>, Ian Smith wrote:
>On Tue, 9 Sep, Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "<-- Wide Load -->"
>> <apsw07048@?.?.co.uk.invalid> breathed:
>>
>> >No way! You can't tell me that me running into a pedestrian with my bike will kill them..
>>
>> Why not? Riding a bike into someone and throwing them violently to the ground is highly likely
>> to kill them.
>
>Absolutely, that's why the death rate in bicycle-pedestrian collisions is so high. Yeah, I mean,
>some years there's a whole one pedestrian killed like that.

We should force the pedestrians to wear helmets to reduce the danger.

If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the good ol' US you always have to be on the road.
In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use the bike road or the normal road. The bike road is separate but normally follows the main road, but not always. Road crossings are designed to be away from the normal traffic crossing at busy intersections.
I wish the local US governments would take bike riding seriously and build bike paths in the US. Someday I may want to come back.

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:24:20 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Milton Keynes, designed in at the start. Google "redways" as well as
M-K.

> >But still less safe than cycling on the road ;-(
>
> And getting lost can be dangerous.. I think there must be folk still riding through MK trying to
> escape... A cross between the Flying Dutchman and those Japenese soldiers who still though the war
> was on in the Phillipines jungle...

And sometimes there are snipers...

I have always thought Reading is a "stealth" new town (or at least parts of
it). There are a lot of estates (including the one I live on the outskirts of) which are built in
the "new town" fashion; even fairly expensive places. Cycle paths are variable; the only one I
normally use is by the Thames as it is a useful short cut on the way in to work.

Alex

>The ONLY tactic on realising you are lost is to continue in as close to a straight line as possible
>until you reach 'civilisation' (aka anywhere that is NOT a new town) and start over again.

Straight line? MK! OK I know they do have them, but when lost in MK there is a strange feeling of
everything being warped.. Its a bit like the "Black Hit of Space". Everytime I try to escape I
return to the same rancid hotdog stand or whatever,,,

You are right, you have to get out into normalspace(TM) and try again.

Richard Webb

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as gbeyer
<[email protected]> breathed:

>If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the good
>ol' US you always have to be on the road. In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use the
>bike road or the normal road. The bike road is separate but normally follows the main road, but not
>always. Road crossings are designed to be away from the normal traffic crossing at busy
>intersections. I wish the local US governments would take bike riding seriously and build bike
>paths in the US. Someday I may want to come back.

I think it depends on where in the US you are - it's a big place! I've friends in Madison WI, and by
all accounts cycling there is heavily encouraged.

--
- Pyromancer, speaking for himself. http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal! http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The

In article <[email protected]>, Taywood <[email protected]> writes
>Well I dont do much riding these days.
>
>If I cant take the mtb in the car to somewhere off road I'm quite happy just to stroll around town
>and Mr Angry from Moyne Gardens, Chellaston is quite correct in his observations. All the antics he
>describes I see every day.
>
>You take the time someday and stand on a streetcorner in your town and watch the antics of cyclists
>for yourself. THEY dont post on our Group, they dont look as if they could even read and write but
>they ride bikes and do the things he describes. You all know we get posts here from 'proper'
>cyclists annoyed at the antics of the morons. They are symptomatic of all thats bad in our society.

Cyclists misbehaving are "symptomatic of all thats bad in our society"? Good grief, you must lead a
sheltered life to think that!

--
Roger Barker [email protected] Boston, UK

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as gbeyer
<[email protected]> breathed:

>If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the good
>ol' US you always have to be on the road. In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use the
>bike road or the normal road. The bike road is separate but normally follows the main road, but not
>always. Road crossings are designed to be away from the normal traffic crossing at busy
>intersections. I wish the local US governments would take bike riding seriously and build bike
>paths in the US. Someday I may want to come back.

I think it depends on where in the US you are - it's a big place! I've friends in Madison WI, and by
all accounts cycling there is heavily encouraged.

--
- Pyromancer, speaking for himself. http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal! http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The
Gothic Revival.

In article <[email protected]>, Taywood <[email protected]> writes
>Well I dont do much riding these days.
>
>If I cant take the mtb in the car to somewhere off road I'm quite happy just to stroll around town
>and Mr Angry from Moyne Gardens, Chellaston is quite correct in his observations. All the antics he
>describes I see every day.
>
>You take the time someday and stand on a streetcorner in your town and watch the antics of cyclists
>for yourself. THEY dont post on our Group, they dont look as if they could even read and write but
>they ride bikes and do the things he describes. You all know we get posts here from 'proper'
>cyclists annoyed at the antics of the morons. They are symptomatic of all thats bad in our society.

Cyclists misbehaving are "symptomatic of all thats bad in our society"? Good grief, you must lead a
sheltered life to think that!

--
Roger Barker [email protected] Boston, UK

"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as gbeyer
> <[email protected]> breathed:
>
> >If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the good
> >ol' US you always have to be on the road. In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use the
> >bike road or the normal road. The bike road is separate but normally follows the main road, but
> >not always.

Where is this europe place then?

I've only heard about such things in the UK and never seen one. In France I've seen precisely two.
One next to a "no bike" road from Dunkirk to the highway, the other near holiday towns on the
normandy coast. There may be some such things in paris, I would have been able to tell more easily
if there were no cars on them

>> Road crossings are designed to be away from the
> >normal traffic crossing at busy intersections. I wish the local US governments would take bike
> >riding seriously and build bike paths in the US. Someday I may want to come back.
>
> I think it depends on where in the US you are - it's a big place! I've friends in Madison WI, and
> by all accounts cycling there is heavily encouraged.

"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as gbeyer
> <[email protected]> breathed:
>
> >If you are on the road, you should obey the rules of the road. It's just a shame that in the good
> >ol' US you always have to be on the road. In Europe, you mostly have the choice, either use the
> >bike road or the normal road. The bike road is separate but normally follows the main road, but
> >not always.

Where is this europe place then?

I've only heard about such things in the UK and never seen one. In France I've seen precisely two.
One next to a "no bike" road from Dunkirk to the highway, the other near holiday towns on the
normandy coast. There may be some such things in paris, I would have been able to tell more easily
if there were no cars on them

>> Road crossings are designed to be away from the
> >normal traffic crossing at busy intersections. I wish the local US governments would take bike
> >riding seriously and build bike paths in the US. Someday I may want to come back.
>
> I think it depends on where in the US you are - it's a big place! I've friends in Madison WI, and
> by all accounts cycling there is heavily encouraged.

Well I dont do much riding these days.

If I cant take the mtb in the car to somewhere off road I'm quite happy just to stroll around town
and Mr Angry from Moyne Gardens, Chellaston is quite correct in his observations. All the antics he
describes I see every day.

You take the time someday and stand on a streetcorner in your town and watch the antics of cyclists
for yourself. THEY dont post on our Group, they dont look as if they could even read and write but
they ride bikes and do the things he describes. You all know we get posts here from 'proper'
cyclists annoyed at the antics of the morons. They are symptomatic of all thats bad in our society.

So we all get tarred with the same brush, but we, the nice cyclists dont behave like that do we? So
instead of wanting to tar and feather Mr Angry for telling it as he sees it, why not write your
letter to that paper saying we nice cyclists dont behave like that and we desperately hope these
cyclists dont get injured or killed by traffic on the road simply because society failed to teach
them, or their pals in vehicles, how to behave. Mike

Well I dont do much riding these days.

If I cant take the mtb in the car to somewhere off road I'm quite happy just to stroll around town
and Mr Angry from Moyne Gardens, Chellaston is quite correct in his observations. All the antics he
describes I see every day.

You take the time someday and stand on a streetcorner in your town and watch the antics of cyclists
for yourself. THEY dont post on our Group, they dont look as if they could even read and write but
they ride bikes and do the things he describes. You all know we get posts here from 'proper'
cyclists annoyed at the antics of the morons. They are symptomatic of all thats bad in our society.

So we all get tarred with the same brush, but we, the nice cyclists dont behave like that do we? So
instead of wanting to tar and feather Mr Angry for telling it as he sees it, why not write your
letter to that paper saying we nice cyclists dont behave like that and we desperately hope these
cyclists dont get injured or killed by traffic on the road simply because society failed to teach
them, or their pals in vehicles, how to behave. Mike

> why not write your letter to that paper saying we nice cyclists dont behave like that and we
> desperately hope these cyclists dont get injured or killed by traffic on the road simply because
> society failed to teach them, or their pals in vehicles, how to behave. Mike

Looks like I'll have to do just that, because the local cycling groups don't seem
interested....I would have expected someone with an eye for PR to have written a letter just
like yours above by now.

Regards,

Pete. Derby.

> why not write your letter to that paper saying we nice cyclists dont behave like that and we
> desperately hope these cyclists dont get injured or killed by traffic on the road simply because
> society failed to teach them, or their pals in vehicles, how to behave. Mike

Looks like I'll have to do just that, because the local cycling groups don't seem
interested....I would have expected someone with an eye for PR to have written a letter just
like yours above by now.

Regards,

Pete. Derby.

Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

> (former resident of Harlow,

Ahh Harlow , the only place where I have been in the middle of the counryside and seen a sign saying
"Harlow 1/4 mile" and it was right, in 1/4 mile Harlow started with a bang, it was if it had been
lowered into place on a cakeboard.

--
Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/