Another mans trash is another mans treasure...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tj Poseno, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But who
    cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though. Just
    need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.

    Tags:

  2. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    [email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But
    > who cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though.
    > Just need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.

    Im gonna paint it now, but, its steel, do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare steel?
    Or should I just rough up the old paint.

  3. Scic

    Scic Guest

    >From: [email protected] (TJ Poseno)

    >do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare steel? Or should I just
    rough up the old paint.

    Use a primer either way.

    Sig Chicago

  4. Matt Locker

    Matt Locker Guest

    --------------020705020609030700050209 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    A short story about buying or finding used.

    A friend bought a bike at a garage sale. Looked like a really nice bike
    - just a few years old. His first ride on it was a club ride. He stood up at the bottom of a fast
    downhill in order to try to stay on our tandem wheel. We believe what happened next is that the
    chain rode up onto the tops of the large chainwheel as he torqued the cranks - at which time his
    crank promptly spun fairly freely. All I heard was grinding & scraping as he & his bike hit the
    road. Ambulance was called. He had 5 broken ribs & lots of road rash.

    Moral of story: be careful of the bargains. Check them over carefully & take your time to get
    accustomed to them.

    MOO, Matt

    TJ Poseno wrote:

    >[email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    >>I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But
    >>who cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though.
    >>Just need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.
    >>

    >Im gonna paint it now, but, its steel, do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare
    >steel? Or should I just rough up the old paint.

    --------------020705020609030700050209 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    short story about buying or finding used.<br> <br> A friend bought a bike at a garage sale.
    Looked like a really nice bike
    - just a few years old. His first ride on it was a club ride. He stood up at the bottom
    of a fast downhill in order to try to stay on our tandem wheel. We believe what happened
    next is that the chain rode up onto the tops of the large chainwheel as he torqued the cranks - at
    which time his crank promptly spun fairly freely. All I heard was grinding & scraping as
    he & his bike hit the road. Ambulance was called. He had 5 broken ribs & lots
    of road rash.<br> <br> Moral of story: be careful of the bargains. Check them over
    Poseno wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap=""><a
    class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a> (TJ
    Poseno) wrote in message news:<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:aac782c8.0302091542.2-
    [email protected]"><[email protected]></a>... </pre>
    been painted, and has no brakes. But who cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob
    with a pry bar. Nice bike though. Just need to find some of the brakes I have layin around. </pre>
    first before I paint on the bare steel? Or should I just rough up the old paint. </pre>

    --------------020705020609030700050209--

  5. Tsheer

    Tsheer Guest

    Every bike is a used bike.
    ------------------------

    ----------------------------
    TJ Poseno wrote:

    [email protected] (TJ Poseno) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    I got a Gary Fisher Mr.skinner out of a dumpster today. Its been painted, and has no brakes. But who
    cares. It had a bent crank too but that was fixed no prob with a pry bar. Nice bike though. Just
    need to find some of the brakes I have layin around.

    Im gonna paint it now, but, its steel, do I need to prime it first before I paint on the bare steel?
    Or should I just rough up the old paint.

  6. Tj Poseno

    Tj Poseno Guest

    So i guess i will prime it. And I checked everything over ahead of time, because i was making sure a
    wheel wasnt gonna fall off, but htanks for the tip.

  7. kh6zv9

    kh6zv9 Guest

    Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:
    : A short story about buying or finding used.

    : A friend bought a bike at a garage sale. Looked like a really nice bike
    : - just a few years old. His first ride on it was a club ride. He stood up at the bottom of a fast
    : downhill in order to try to stay on our tandem wheel. We believe what happened next is that the
    : chain rode up onto the tops of the large chainwheel as he torqued the cranks - at which time his
    : crank promptly spun fairly freely. All I heard was grinding & scraping as he & his bike hit the
    : road. Ambulance was called. He had 5 broken ribs & lots of road rash.

    : Moral of story: be careful of the bargains. Check them over carefully & take your time to get
    : accustomed to them.

    Moral of story: don't stand and pedal on a fast downhill.

    --------------------------------
    Bob Masse' [email protected]
    --------------------------------

  8. Matt, Bicycle mechanics make about 150% of minimum wage which means they can't have families,
    houses, kids, etc. so they end up sitting at their other job writing clever crap on news servers :eek:)
    To ask 21 lbs. of material to take you thousands of miles and up and down hills at tremendous speeds
    and forces is alot to ask. And to have a 19-year-old kid making 8.50 an hour to make sure you do not
    die is also a lot to ask. Your friend got burned, but he did save the $35-50 that a complete tune up
    would have cost him. That's a bummer. I'm sorry for him. To anyone who reads this...used bikes are
    risky and they break. Never use used handlebars and replace your bars and stem binder bolt every
    year or two if you are a powerful rider or race or ride on bad terrain. This is extremely important
    in this day and age of ultra-light equipment. Aluminum is a cursed material and can bite you, hard.
    They do not call it "catastrophic failure" for nothing.