Anti-Puncture tyres

Floyd

Guest
I've changed a couple of my routes this year and suffered a couple punctures already (my first in
fifteen years daily cycling). Do you guys prefer to use puncture proof tyres or the inserts?

Thanks,

Floyd

http://www.technofreak.com

Floyd wrote:
> I've changed a couple of my routes this year and suffered a couple punctures already (my first in
> fifteen years daily cycling). Do you guys prefer to use puncture proof tyres or the inserts?

I don't use *anything* labelled as 'puncture proof' nowadays. I used to though. I've used the
inserts, hard plastic, soft plastic, mousse, gels, etc etc and *none* of them have completely cured
getting puntures. Some of them have added weight, the hard inserts, just where I don't like it, the
gel one helped stop puntures so they became slow puntures that could be ficed later, but was such a
mess that repairs were a real problem. The gels also 'masked' many deep sidewall and tread cuts that
would otherwise have me condemn a tyre as not good enough to use. ;) Since I've stopped using any
puncture protection at all I've been no worse off. I carry a few small 'Leeches' for patches and a
small CO2 cylinder pump as well as a micro pump. It's all I've ever needed in the last few years.
Coincidentally, I guess with my age increasing and speed of travel decreasing, I seem to get far
fewer punctures than I used to .. ;)

--

Completed 1705 Seti work units in 12954 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
PS, Smileys in my posts are to bug K Man .. ;)