Anti-Puncture tyres

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Floyd, May 25, 2003.

  1. Floyd

    Floyd Guest

    I've changed a couple of my routes this year and suffered a couple punctures already (my first in
    fifteen years daily cycling). Do you guys prefer to use puncture proof tyres or the inserts?

    Thanks,

    Floyd

    http://www.technofreak.com

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Floyd wrote:
    > I've changed a couple of my routes this year and suffered a couple punctures already (my first in
    > fifteen years daily cycling). Do you guys prefer to use puncture proof tyres or the inserts?

    I don't use *anything* labelled as 'puncture proof' nowadays. I used to though. I've used the
    inserts, hard plastic, soft plastic, mousse, gels, etc etc and *none* of them have completely cured
    getting puntures. Some of them have added weight, the hard inserts, just where I don't like it, the
    gel one helped stop puntures so they became slow puntures that could be ficed later, but was such a
    mess that repairs were a real problem. The gels also 'masked' many deep sidewall and tread cuts that
    would otherwise have me condemn a tyre as not good enough to use. ;) Since I've stopped using any
    puncture protection at all I've been no worse off. I carry a few small 'Leeches' for patches and a
    small CO2 cylinder pump as well as a micro pump. It's all I've ever needed in the last few years.
    Coincidentally, I guess with my age increasing and speed of travel decreasing, I seem to get far
    fewer punctures than I used to .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1705 Seti work units in 12954 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    PS, Smileys in my posts are to bug K Man .. ;)