Any good experiences w/echinacea supps like EPO-Boost?

danfoz

Apr 12, 2011
I've tried a number of supplements over the past years, the best one with tangible results being Phosfuel by Twinlabs some years ago - essentially a sodium bicarb derivative (lactate buffer), but wondering if any competitors have had any good results with the new echinacea based supplements?

No substitute for hard work of course after all most performance enhancers, even the illicit ones, only amplify what you put in.

Thanks,
Dan.

I tried the product "Epo-Boost" for five weeks and recorded a 1% loss in performance on a time trial up our local TT hill...Old La Honda. I know there are other factors involved, but I'm just saying...save you money for tires!

Haha you don't say.

I did get stronger over my own epoboost trial, but probably because my mileage went up and I laid off the booze for awhile. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

The remainder of my stash is now collecting dust on top of the fridge.

One wrench thrown into my test is that I got a cold midway through the month. I didn't change my training schedule, but did have lung issues the week before the TT. It had almost cleared up before the TT, but not quite. My lungs felt "heavy" that day, and I used albueterol to try to compensate. To be fair, I'll try the product again in March and give it another(hopefully fair) trial.

All it takes is reading the ingredients and doing the briefest amount of research to realize that EPO-Boost's only real benefit is that it helps remove money from your bank accounts.

My quick research indicated ingredients that help bolster the immune system and reduce inflamation, two things possibly helpful to someone who makes a hobby of beating themselves up on a bike. And yes, aside from echinacea (the "active" ingredient), the rest could probably be found in a well balanced diet.

Their claim, which unfortunately I don't have the capacity to measure, is that echinacea increased naturally occuring epo levels in test groups over control groups. Bold face lie? Could be. We know the modern bike industry among others are supported by savvy marketers to increase revenue who will say almost anything. Superior powers of analysis and retort by the right individual could probably have their CEO sending envelopes of unmarked bills by weeks end to the lucky rabble rouser...

You need to research the echinacea claim. The scientific data is far from supportive of EPO-Boost's claims.

Good to know, I'll check it out - these days I've found more miles and lots of sleep gets me the best results. No real quick fixes, except the real stuff... from what I've heard.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Good to know, I'll check it out - these days I've found more miles and lots of sleep gets me the best results. No real quick fixes, except the real stuff... from what I've heard.
You're absolutely right about sleep, miles, and no quick fixes. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif