Any Help for Numbness in Hands?

If you get the bike set up properly and still have problems, you might want to check out some Specialized Bar Phat. Works wonders.

JR

I have a similar problem. After being away from the saddle for 18 months, I did a 2 week offroad stint on a trip to the USA. The result was some kind of nerve damage (I think it's the median and to a lesser extent the ulnar nerves) in both hands, due to handlebar vibration/pressure. This was probably worsened by my overgripping the bars/brakes on steep descents (I'm a relative novice, and have a morbid fear of death) and, initially, badly positioned brake levers (too high).

I get some tingling / pins & needles in the little & ring fingers (classic ulnar nerve symptoms), but my thumb, forefinger and second finger were almost paralysed, especially on the left hand (rear braking?): it left me almost unable to tie shoelaces, hold a fork to eat, fasten my pants - you name it. I'm writing this two weeks later and I still can't hold a sheet of paper between my middle two fingers, and I can only just touch my thumb to my first and second fingers - I can't pinch at all. All this with no numbness and no tingling.

I think it was median nerve pressure at the base of the thumb, although my doctor seems to think I should have the classic carpal tunnel symptoms for this to be the case. If any doctors are reading this, I'd be grateful for other opinions.

After I recover (if), I'll be making changes to my riding setup, starting with lo-riser carbon bars instead of straight alloy ones, to change my wrist angles and adopt a more upright position (weight back on to the saddle). I'm also searching for a glove/mitt that has amazing padding at the base of the thumb. Specialized make a big deal about their Body Geometry gloves, but they really only seem to concentrate on the ulnar nerve area. All ideas gratefully received, and sorry to rambled gone on for so long!

Something that also helped me was going to the Yeti Hardcore Grips that are a little thicker than normal grips. Those along with carbon bars elimated so much vibration on the mountain bike.

kk

Originally posted by kkees
Something that also helped me was going to the Yeti Hardcore Grips that are a little thicker than normal grips. Those along with carbon bars elimated so much vibration on the mountain bike.

kk

Thanks KK. Actually, the one bit of kit from Specialized that I had considered trying were their very squidgy and ergonomic BG grips. I didn't mention that I started off with ordinary S-works grips, which are very skinny and probably contributed to the problem in the first place. I upgraded to RaceFace Good n Evil after the first few days, but I think I need to go one better. And maybe relax when I go downhill.

Yeah, those specialized grips really stink! I have a hardtail and FS, both specialized. First think I did was rip those grips off! Yeti Hardcore are double thick, and feel great. I've been happy with them. I race and ride quite a bit of trail. But when I do any lengthy downhill, my hands really get tingly and fatigued really quick, just because its something I'm not used to. There is a lot of pressure on your hands. So I don't know what do tell you about that, except you will eventually get used to it if you do it enough.

kk

Sorry, forgot to add. I noticed you mentioned your grips were 'squidgly'. Spray hairspray on your handlebars where you grips go, and they won't move. If you decide to remove them, use a butter knife or screwdriver to lift the edge of the grip up and spray water in there and just work the grip off. It may take a little effort, but you won' thave to trash your grips.

kk