Any one else have Eggbeater pedals for a long time?

Woofer

Dec 31, 2004
I think these things are wearing out the soles of my shoes faster than the shoes would ordinarily wear out. I am getting grooves fore and aft of the cleat that are 4 to 5 mm deep. Any ideas for preventing this in the future?

i've had mine for years and haven't noticed anything. of course, they are on my mtn bike.

I've had mine for about 1000 miles (2 years) and my shoes are fine. I think you need a harder soled shoe if you use eggbeaters.

Woofer said:
I think these things are wearing out the soles of my shoes faster than the shoes would ordinarily wear out. I am getting grooves fore and aft of the cleat that are 4 to 5 mm deep. Any ideas for preventing this in the future?

ive had mine for about a year, i can see why they would do that but my specialized shoes are hardly worn at all, even though its usually clogged with sand and mud they dont show much wear, im nearly on my 3rd set of cleats.

what sortof shoes are you using ?

Reading on other forums I've heard of several people suffering a similar problem with eggbeaters - but only I think with certain stiff "roadie-type" racing shoes; probably carbon-epoxy soles which are presumably more susceptible to this type of wear. They seem ok for most people using rubber type soles. This problem and tales of the spindle shearing has put on hold my planned purchase of these pedals. Still the weight saving and mud clearance benefits are still keeping me interested.

Phat Joe

I have eggbeater S
Wear is not my complaint. Hot spots are and tenderness on the balls of my feet. I currently wear a plastic soled Specialized mountain shoe. I'm going to switch to a stiffer & newer pair of road shoes and switch to the Crank Bros Road cleat for eggbeater pedals. I would definitely recommend this pedals for safety, weight, and durability. They are so easy to get out of and never come out unexpectly. Because they are four sided you can just push down the pedal rolls into place. Awesome! Wear would be my last consideration.

joe capitelli said:
Reading on other forums I've heard of several people suffering a similar problem with eggbeaters - but only I think with certain stiff "roadie-type" racing shoes; probably carbon-epoxy soles which are presumably more susceptible to this type of wear. They seem ok for most people using rubber type soles. This problem and tales of the spindle shearing has put on hold my planned purchase of these pedals. Still the weight saving and mud clearance benefits are still keeping me interested.

Phat Joe

Woofer said:

I've had mine since November of '02, I havent noticed that happening, How long have you had the peddles, and did you use the shim? is your cleat super loose? Have you replaced your cleats yet? they are really only good for a season of light riding max I find I have to replace them every 3 or 4 months as I commute with them.

Woofer said:

I've got the same problem with my SIDI Action shoes. I've been considering changing to Candys.

Woofer said:
Hi,
I've had my Eggbeaters for about three years now and went through a few pairs of MTB shoes. On Northwaves (rubber type soles) I noticed no degradation while on shimano sh-m225 (carbon soles) the pedal does a lot of damage. My shimano's where not as efficient near the end of the season because of the wear. Since, I heard you can put an insert between the cleat and the shoe to prevent that kind of damage (the pedal rubs on that insert instead of on the carbon). I got mine from a triple Ti eggbeater kit. Haven't tried them for a whole season but it seems they'll do the job.