Any opinions on Orbea bikes ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ac, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Ac

    Ac Guest

    Hi,

    Any info/opinions appreciated

    Specifically, I'm interested in the 'Replica 3' (see www.orbea.co.uk)

    They seem like a manufacturer that offers good value for money whilst still allowing some degree of
    customisation (?)

    Cheers

    AC

    Tags:

  2. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

  3. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:54:36 +0100, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Any info/opinions appreciated
    >
    >Specifically, I'm interested in the 'Replica 3' (see www.orbea.co.uk)
    >
    >They seem like a manufacturer that offers good value for money whilst still allowing some degree of
    >customisation (?)

    Hi AC

    I bought an el-cheapo Orbea Larrau (about £400 incl SPDs)
    <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg> (but with a triple chainset) about one year ago.
    (My memory's not the best, but I think it was about one year ago.)

    Apart from being knocked off the bike by an errant kidlet (ripped bar tape, bent front wheel and
    several X-rays to my spine and neck) I've had absolutely no trouble with the bike at all. In these
    warmer months I use the bike as my regular transport rather than my rigid Trek MTB(ish) steed.
    Indeed, considering the speed of my crash, the damage to the front wheel was very slight - perhaps a
    sign of good wheel building and overall quality. I wish I could say the same about my body ;-)

    I had to replace the saddle as it was too soft but that's a personal choice anyway. Having said
    that, I'd guess that as the Replica 3 costs over twice the price of my bike it could well come with
    a more suitable perch.

    I'm one of the world's worst when it comes to handywork or customisation so I cannot really comment
    on that part of your query.

    (double chainset); from what I hear he's pleased with his bike too.

    Just don't ride it like Roberto Laiseka too often <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Laiseka.jpg>

    James

    --
    Watch the kite, not where you're going!

  4. Drib

    Drib Guest

    I own two Orbea frames one built with Dura Ace the other Ultegra, both frames XLR8R tubes and Carbon
    rear and Forks. Most comfortable, best handling and good workmanship. (Life time warranty). What
    more could you want. I have also just ordered a track frame. I think I am sold on them. They are
    just starting to get a following hear in Australia and so far have not hear a bad word.

    "Allen Foster" <[email protected]_THISnewtownbreda.demANDTHISon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/reviews/orbea_team_03
    >
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:54:36 +0100, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Any info/opinions appreciated
    > >
    > >Specifically, I'm interested in the 'Replica 3' (see www.orbea.co.uk)
    > >
    > >They seem like a manufacturer that offers good value for money whilst
    still
    > >allowing some degree of customisation (?)
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >
    > >AC

  5. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "AC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]m.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Any info/opinions appreciated
    >
    > Specifically, I'm interested in the 'Replica 3' (see www.orbea.co.uk)
    >
    > They seem like a manufacturer that offers good value for money whilst
    still
    > allowing some degree of customisation (?)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > AC

    Droooollllll!!!!!!!!!!! I have always been impressed by the quality of their frames. I used to work
    in a LBS that stocked them before they were well known and they were well built good value bikes.
    From what I know nothing has changed. If I were looking for a new bike I might buy this model myself
    :) All the best

    Stan Cox

  6. On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 04:30:27 +0100, James Hodson wrote:
    >Just don't ride it like Roberto Laiseka too often
    ><http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Laiseka.jpg>

    I don't think Laiseka has one funny bone in his body. This is David Etxebarria (the 161 is a big
    clue, see TdF startlist).

  7. Andy B

    Andy B Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 22:54:36 +0100, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Any info/opinions appreciated
    > >
    > >Specifically, I'm interested in the 'Replica 3' (see www.orbea.co.uk)
    > >
    > >They seem like a manufacturer that offers good value for money whilst still allowing some degree
    > >of customisation (?)
    > >

    > Hi AC
    >
    > I bought an el-cheapo Orbea Larrau (about £400 incl SPDs)
    > <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg> (but with a triple chainset) about one year ago.
    > (My memory's not the best, but I think it was about one year ago.)
    >
    > Apart from being knocked off the bike by an errant kidlet (ripped bar tape, bent front wheel and
    > several X-rays to my spine and neck) I've had absolutely no trouble with the bike at all. In these
    > warmer months I use the bike as my regular transport rather than my rigid Trek MTB(ish) steed.
    > Indeed, considering the speed of my crash, the damage to the front wheel was very slight - perhaps
    > a sign of good wheel building and overall quality. I wish I could say the same about my body ;-)
    >
    > I had to replace the saddle as it was too soft but that's a personal choice anyway. Having said
    > that, I'd guess that as the Replica 3 costs over twice the price of my bike it could well come
    > with a more suitable perch.
    >
    > I'm one of the world's worst when it comes to handywork or customisation so I cannot really
    > comment on that part of your query.
    >

    > (double chainset); from what I hear he's pleased with his bike too.
    >
    > Just don't ride it like Roberto Laiseka too often
    > <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Laiseka.jpg>
    >
    > James

    Bought a Larrau as an entry bike about a year ago and still love it very much. Have had no problems
    with it, not even any retightening of gears. I got it for 300 quid from my local shop in Ewell.

    I thought it was best value for money bike I could afford at the time, and i'm sure it will keep me
    happy for a while yet.

    Andy

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I had to replace the saddle as it was too soft but that's a personal choice anyway. Having said
    > that, I'd guess that as the Replica 3 costs over twice the price of my bike it could well come
    > with a more suitable perch.

    With any new bike it's worth considering whether the saddle's right for you. It's generally easier
    and cheaper to get the dealer to swap the saddle before you take delivery than to change it
    afterwards.

    --
    Dave...

  9. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  10. Ac

    Ac Guest

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  12. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:17:27 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't think Laiseka has one funny bone in his body. This is David Etxebarria (the 161 is a big
    >clue, see TdF startlist).

    Whoops. I just went by the (incorrect) filename. Consider it to be changed - in a while. Anyway, I
    doubt I could spell Etxebarria.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

  16. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    >James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Etxebarria.jpg> Better?
    >>

    >I never understood the groove down the middle of the saddle for male comfort stuff before I
    >saw that ;-)

    LOL

    I'm not sure his front teeth would be very comfortable if he hit a bump in the road.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  17. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest