Anyone ever see...

ireman_1

New Member
Aug 10, 2003
Walking to my wife's work (from my work) last night I was passed by a fella on a recumbent bike that was propelled forward by his rowing motion rather than pedals. I watched him until he was out of view and while I don't know if he was new to that contraption he had a bit of "torque steer"(?) when he seemed to really be cranking on the power. Odd bike, odd fella? Anyone ever see such a thing? The rest of the walk I thought over the tech issues of gearing, brake lines, power transfer system, etc. The "sketches" for an off-road version I had in my warped mind provided quite the chuckles (almost enough to keep a guy warm on a chilly night).

Kraig...

ireman_1 wrote:
> Walking to my wife's work (from my work) last night I was passed by a
> fella on a recumbent bike that was propelled forward by his rowing
> motion rather than pedals. I watched him until he was out of view and
> while I don't know if he was new to that contraption he had a bit of
> "torque steer"(?) when he seemed to really be cranking on the power.
> Odd bike, odd fella? Anyone ever see such a thing? The rest of the
> walk I thought over the tech issues of gearing, brake lines, power
> transfer system, etc. The "sketches" for an off-road version I had in
> my warped mind provided quite the chuckles (almost enough to keep a
> guy warm on a chilly night).
>
> Kraig...

I've seen arm powered bikes for paraplegics, is that what you mean?

Penny

http://www.rowbike.com
--
Slacker

http://www.tommcmahon.net/2003/12/row_row_row_you.html

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

ireman_1 wrote:

> Walking to my wife's work (from my work) last night I was passed by a
> fella on a recumbent bike that was propelled forward by his rowing
> motion rather than pedals. I watched him until he was out of view and
> while I don't know if he was new to that contraption he had a bit of
> "torque steer"(?) when he seemed to really be cranking on the power.
> Odd bike, odd fella? Anyone ever see such a thing? The rest of the
> walk I thought over the tech issues of gearing, brake lines, power
> transfer system, etc. The "sketches" for an off-road version I had in
> my warped mind provided quite the chuckles (almost enough to keep a guy
> warm on a chilly night).
>
> Kraig...

Wow, I have never seen anything like that. Was it a two-wheel
recumbent? I used to love to row at the gym but machines sort of fell
out of favor in the past years. Seems like a great workout depending on
how stable to recumbent is through speed.

Slacker said:
On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:17:09 +1100, ireman_1
><[email protected]> wrote:

>> Walking to my wife's work (from my work) last night I was passed by a
>> fella on a recumbent bike that was propelled forward by his rowing
>> motion rather than pedals. I watched him until he was out of view and
>> while I don't know if he was new to that contraption he had a bit of
>> "torque steer"(?) when he seemed to really be cranking on the power.
>> Odd bike, odd fella? Anyone ever see such a thing? The rest of the
>> walk I thought over the tech issues of gearing, brake lines, power
>> transfer system, etc. The "sketches" for an off-road version I had in
>> my warped mind provided quite the chuckles (almost enough to keep a guy
>> warm on a chilly night).
>>
>> Kraig...
>>

>http://www.rowbike.com
>--
>Slacker

That looks to be the one! It looked like the 720 "Multi-sport" model on the site. The site stated it's an appropriate choice for "off-road" riding/training. Switchbacks could be interesting...
Thanks for the sites folks.

Kraig...

http://www.rowingbike.com/main.php

ireman_1 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Slacker Wrote:

> and

> of

> power.

> the

> in

> guy

> > >http://www.rowbike.com
> > >--
> > >Slacker

> That looks to be the one! It looked like the 720 "Multi-sport" model
> on the site. The site stated it's an appropriate choice for "off-road"
> riding/training. Switchbacks could be interesting...
> Thanks for the sites folks.
>
> Kraig...

"Can I ride off road?
Yes. In fact many Rowbikers like to train off road. Just like a
regular pedal bike it is going to be a more difficult workout."
Bwahaha! Darwin is laughing.
Three words: low speed maneuvering.
FYI: this thing, IIRC, was designed by the same guy who started
Rollerblades. He sold the Rollerblades company and, in a moment of
invincibility and hubris, started up this thing. Not that it's
inherently bad and I wound't want to try it for giggles....
/s