Anyone heard of a Vitus

Dudee

Jul 27, 2004
I ride a old red Vitus, not sure on the specifics, its an Aluminum fram and the number 787 and says Futral. I'm just curious if you guys have ever heard of this brand of bike, if it helps I've heard that it might be a french brand but I don't know.

Dudee said:
I ride a old red Vitus, not sure on the specifics, its an Aluminum fram and the number 787 and says Futral. I'm just curious if you guys have ever heard of this brand of bike, if it helps I've heard that it might be a french brand but I don't know.

Yes, its an aluminum framed bicycle known for it's non-stiff ride.

daveornee said:
Yes, its an aluminum framed bicycle known for it's non-stiff ride.

true...."like cooked spaghetti" is one description I've heard of thos 80s Vitus frames.

Along with Alan in Italy they were the pioneers in 'mainstreaming' aluminun frames in what was then a steel only market. Very well known.

ed073 said:
true...."like cooked spaghetti" is one description I've heard of thos 80s Vitus frames.
Thats about right, an old guy had one in a club i used to race with in the mid 90's. I think the frame would have been 15 years old then ;) it flexed like nothing else i've ever seen but it was really light.

I once heard that they flex so much that the chain can fall off the chain-ring

I used to ride an old vitus. They were great for about the first 12 months and then they just got really soft

They were considered the ultimate 'true climbers' 'bike - for the really little really light guys, IIRC.

Powerful Pete said:
They were considered the ultimate 'true climbers' 'bike - for the really little really light guys, IIRC.
Like that notable climber Sean Kelly who won numerous field sprints on a Vitus without any problems

asgelle said:
Like that notable climber Sean Kelly who won numerous field sprints on a Vitus without any problems

Fair enough, you are correct. Then again, I doubt that his frames were over 12 months old... and after all, he was not exactly buying his own equipment. ;)

Yep. I've got a 979 Duralinox I bought new in 1986. The "glued and screwed" aluminum and carbon fibre models were pretty popular with triathletes back in the mid 80's due to their light weight and comfortable ride.

I'm not familiar with the 787, though. I think the last two digits indicate the year the frame was designed or first came out on the market - 1987.

Awesome! My old room mate used to own a Vitus. The one without the "beefed up" head tube. His local bike shop gave it to him to replace his Battaglin (sp?) after he found that the frame was bent (don't ask me why he didn't demand a warranty replacement).

He had the Vitus until (I think) one of the rivets or bonds holding it together failed, then he replaced it with a Cannondale 2.8 frameset and that ended his troubles.

The thing defined "noodle" though, especially in his size (he was 6'3, and I think the frame was 60+ cm). With his lanky body and those small tubes, it was a cartoonish sight.

Thanks, I'd almost forgotten about that whole thing. Gave me a good chuckle to remember it. ;)

nutbag said:
I once heard that they flex so much that the chain can fall off the chain-ring
Actually yeah that does happen alot, its ussually when I'm standing and pumping on the pedals up hill, is there a way to prevent or stop it from happening or is it just the bike(I don't understand what you mean by soft)

Dudee said:
Actually yeah that does happen alot, its ussually when I'm standing and pumping on the pedals up hill, is there a way to prevent or stop it from happening or is it just the bike(I don't understand what you mean by soft)
Soft is just a term for flexing to much.