Anyone riding a Brooks?

Powerful Pete

May 29, 2004
I responded to a couple of queries about saddles recently, and it got me thinking about my first bike, an Atala Columbus SL frame, Gipiemme and Miche components, with the crowning glory being my grandfather's Brooks Professional (I think that was what it was called) saddle. It had been ridden since the early 50s and passed on to me. :cool:

Wonder where it is now...

Anyway, that got me thinking about purchasing a new Brooks. A few questions for you retro-grouches:

How is the B17, for example? Just wondering. And you do not need to tell me about durability...

Are they as difficult to shape as they used to be?

Do you still have to cover them in a plastic bag in a rainstorm?

Thanks for your feedback! :D

A friend of mine has a Brooks Swift, most comfortable saddle I've ridden other than my Flite; anyway, yes, you will have to cover it in a rainstorm, but I don't know much else about it (other than it being extremely comfortable).

I actually had one for a week or two, on a bike that I never actually rode but sold soon after I got it. I can tell you that it looked good though.

Those Brooks b-17s haven't changed much in many years. Whatever you remember about them is the way they still are.