Anyone Tried The 06 Specialized Toupe Saddle?

Ghill

Oct 31, 2005
I'M Still Searching For The Perfect Saddle. My LBS Reccommended The 06 Specialized Toupe. Currently Riding A Specialized Telluride 143. Its Good But Hurts After 20 Miles. Has Anyone Tried The Toupe. I Can't Find A Review Anywhere.

Thxs

Ghill said:
I'M Still Searching For The Perfect Saddle. My LBS Reccommended The 06 Specialized Toupe. Currently Riding A Specialized Telluride 143. Its Good But Hurts After 20 Miles. Has Anyone Tried The Toupe. I Can't Find A Review Anywhere.

Thxs
Yes I have ridden this saddle for the past month. The manager of the LBS let me borrow it and I would rate it as the best saddle I've ever planted my butt on. Hope to get my own this weekend.

JS

I picked one up last week. I've done a couple of 2 1/2-3 hour rides on it and it is definitely the most comfortable saddle I've ridden on. I can get 3 distinct seating positions out of it, which helps with the overall comfort level as well. Plus it's crazyily light and looks sweet. At $150, it's not cheap, but I would highly recommend it.

Ghill said:

Thxs
Yes, and like the others have said, it's great. I don't think I'll ever use anything else. It doesn't look comfy and when you first mount it you won't be thinking it's all that great, but when you come back from a long ride and suddenly realize you haven't even once given any thought to you rear end you'll understand.

I have had one for about 2000 thousand miles. I really like it. I regularly do rides up to 4 1/2 hours long, and have been really have had good luck with it. I had a Specialized Alias 143 that I liked for the fit, but the embroidery on it tore up my shorts, and rubbed my legs badly. The Toupe seems to have the exact same fit, but is alot harder and does not have the abrasive finish of the Alias. I was able to find it for $99 online, but I don't remember where.

mloywhite said:
I have had one for about 2000 thousand miles. I really like it. I regularly do rides up to 4 1/2 hours long, and have been really have had good luck with it. I had a Specialized Alias 143 that I liked for the fit, but the embroidery on it tore up my shorts, and rubbed my legs badly. The Toupe seems to have the exact same fit, but is alot harder and does not have the abrasive finish of the Alias. I was able to find it for $99 online, but I don't remember where.
WHAT!!!! Come on you must remember where you got such a smoking deal.:confused:

jrstevens said:
WHAT!!!! Come on you must remember where you got such a smoking deal.:confused:
I am almost positive I got it with a buy-it-now on Ebay from a bike shop.

I am very interested in any opinions on this seat. I have a Fizik Arione (sp?) and I am looking for something more comfortable.

Ghill said:

I just got one 2 weeks ago. The must comfortable saddle I have ever used. Before that I was using Selle Itaila Turbomatic and I liked it but but it wore out and I needed a new saddle and I could not find a Turbo at my LBS he said they did not make them anymore. He said a lot of people liked the Fizik Arione so I bought one . It was good for about 30 mile rides after that it was a real pain in the ass . I really tryed to get used to it.I used for a couple of mo's but it remaimed a pain after around 30 miles or so. So I was talking to some riders on a ride and they just got the Toupe and they were raving about it. So I got one at first look it looks like a real but burner but it was love at first ride. It is by far the best saddle that I have ever used and I have been riding since the 70's.

Yes I have ridden it for 500 miles now and I do not think about a saddle anymore. Yes, its thats good. But then saddles are very personal things so I feel noone can tell you if it will work for ya.Anyways, my problem was that my seat bones were wide and I was using narrow saddles. The seat bones used to split apart :eek: . Imagine someone splitting your seatbones with 100lbs weight on it for 3 hrs. I tried atleast 4 saddles and then a specialized dealer frriend of mine made me sit on a memory gel and measured my seat bone width. He got the widest one for me.
I was skeptical at before lookng at the skinny saddle(I have used the selle italia SLR hell) but now I dont even realize it. I used to think about my butt on all my rides before this.

Lawguy661 said:
I am very interested in any opinions on this seat. I have a Fizik Arione (sp?) and I am looking for something more comfortable.
I switched from an Arione, as I was getting saddle fatigue after about 90 minutes on the bike, and haven't looked back. There is a lot of flex in the Toupe, so it sort of cradles you. Also the groove in the middle has eliminated the... numbness I've had with my last two saddles. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Since everyone here is raving about them I think I'm gonna look into getting one. What widths is everyone here riding at? Is it just a personal opinion on how wide you want it or is there some sort of measuring system? Thanks.

rudycyclist said:
Since everyone here is raving about them I think I'm gonna look into getting one. What widths is everyone here riding at? Is it just a personal opinion on how wide you want it or is there some sort of measuring system? Thanks.

I use a 143

There is a fit system. You sit on this gel pad, and get your measurements. Then you factor in what kind of riding position of will be in (ie: upright, aero, in the middle) and choose your size. A good specialized LBS dealer should get you through the process.

Is the this saddle that much more comfortable than an Alias? That is what I have now.

free_rideman said:
There is a fit system. You sit on this gel pad, and get your measurements. Then you factor in what kind of riding position of will be in (ie: upright, aero, in the middle) and choose your size. A good specialized LBS dealer should get you through the process.

Is the this saddle that much more comfortable than an Alias? That is what I have now.
I also have the 143. And yes, the Toupe is MUCH more comfortable than the Alias. The Alias is pretty good for up to maybe 2 hours, after that it was hurting me. I did 3 hours Saturday and didn't once think about my butt.

rudycyclist said:
I though for sure I would need the 130 but the Ass-o-Meter recommended the 143 and I am surprisingly pleased with this width.

JS

jrstevens said:
I though for sure I would need the 130 but the Ass-o-Meter recommended the 143 and I am surprisingly pleased with this width.

JS
Same here. I am a small guy and using a 143 with pleasure. Again recommended by abovesaid ass-o-meter.

rudycyclist said:

See the above comment about the measuring system. That said, you'll probably ride the 143mm version. The 130mm is probably only suited to women and men with very small body frames.

Been on a alias 143 and its been pretty good but switched to a indie 143 and its been great.