Anyone using latex tubes?

"BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1168683759.816842.306280
@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.
>
> None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...

Is this project magpie-related?

--
beerwolf
(To reply by email, remove numbers from my address)

"BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Blue Heeler wrote:

>> > Now why oh why didn't I think of that?
>> >

>> > BTH with the chastened look

>> Perhaps your youth was not as mis-spent as mine?

> I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.
>
> None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...
>

> BTH

Visit a chandlery ( shop that sells boat parts ) and you can simply buy
various diameter and strengths of shock cord by the metre.

BT Humble wrote:

> Blue Heeler wrote:

> > > Now why oh why didn't I think of that?
> > >

> > > BTH with the chastened look

> > Perhaps your youth was not as mis-spent as mine?

> I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.
>
> None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...

Try a sailing or "outdoors" shop and buy the cord direct. You could
even, if you have a local branch of BCF or equivalent, use the cord
used for spearguns.

--

BT Humble wrote:

> I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.

Oh, nice to see a real old codger still riding them. {:)

> None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...

Do you want occky straps or just stretchy cord?
Good hardware shops, and other places like Clark Rubber, outdoor shops,
etc sell it by the metre off a roll.

Since a uni student, I've always collected my occkys of the side of the
road, good, and broken, plus I repair the broken ones. So I have a large
bag of infernally tangled mess.

BT Humble wrote:
> Blue Heeler wrote:

> > > Now why oh why didn't I think of that?
> > >

> > > BTH with the chastened look

> > Perhaps your youth was not as mis-spent as mine?

> I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.
>
> None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...
>

> BTH

It sounds like there are some good alternatives. Let me know when
you've decided if you need the latex tube.

Donga

beerwolf wrote:
> "BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.
> >
> > None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> > might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...
> >

> Is this project magpie-related?

Nope, rabbit. Perfectly legal.

BTH

--
Frank
[email protected]
"BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Blue Heeler wrote:

> > > Now why oh why didn't I think of that?
> > >

> > > BTH with the chastened look

> > Perhaps your youth was not as mis-spent as mine?

> I never knew that occy straps existed, when I were a lad.
>
> None of the ones that I own have sufficient stretch in them though, I
> might have to wander through a few shops testing their occy straps...
>

> BTH

Go to your local dive/tackle shop and ask for jelly rubber - the stuff used
on spearguns. You can get some that's used on hand spears that's great for a
catapult.

Alternatively, surgical tubing works well...

me - still misspending :)

BT Humble wrote:

>> Shock cord make a better performing (in terms of range and
>> ballistics) shangai.

> Now why oh why didn't *I* think of that?

Even better, go to a marine shop and get some of the rubber used for
spear-guns.

I could take the elastic out of your underpants and send you that.

Theo

Plodder (remove DAKS to reply) wrote:
> Go to your local dive/tackle shop and ask for jelly rubber - the stuff used
> on spearguns. You can get some that's used on hand spears that's great for a
> catapult.
>
> Alternatively, surgical tubing works well...

Have you tried to buy surgical tubing lately? They just look at you as
though you're going to wrap it around your bicep and shoot up while
still in the shop!

BTH

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
> > Now why oh why didn't *I* think of that?

> Even better, go to a marine shop and get some of the rubber used for
> spear-guns.
>
> I could take the elastic out of your underpants and send you that.

I'll kill you, old man! >:-|

BTH