Are discs the wave of the future?

Penny S

Guest
In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are being
phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04 online
catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on bikes... so
maybe she is right?

Discuss, if you want.

PS

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
bikes...
> so maybe she is right?

If I was Queen of the World, all bikes would have only 1 gear :)

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes... so maybe she is right?
>
> Discuss, if you want.
>
> PS

The only reason every bike int he catalogue doens't have them is the cost. You can't get much
cheaper then a $15 Tectro V-Brake.
--
_________________________

Penny S wrote:
> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes... so maybe she is right?
>
> Discuss, if you want.
>
> PS

FWIW, I used to scoff at increasing brake technology. I had Cantilever brakes on the Merlin for
years into and after the V-brake interregnum. But eventually I was forced into V-brakes and Guess
what. They stopped just as good, if not better than properly set up cantis, AND they were a breeze
to install and adjust. Joy.

Then came discs. And again I scoffed. "pure gew-gawry" I chortled to myself, "the industry has
tricked the sheeple into paying more for heavier gear." Then my race bike for 2002 arrived, fitted

And guess what. I loved them. It wasn't so much the increased power. Like any effective governmental
system, brakes are only as good as the control they allow you to have over said power. And the
control was what won me over. No more skidding. Effective in wet. No fade on extended downhills.

And so. The Karate Monkey arrived. Discs.

The Merlin cracked: They offered me options on the new frame. Disc specific, "yes please".

disk dropouts.

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/photo/cross03.jpg

So. Long story short. I'm a convert.

Carla A-G spray painted on a boxcar:

> If I was Queen of the World, all bikes would have only 1 gear :)
>
> - CA-G

she HAS been assimilated!!!

> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
>> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
>> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes...
>> so maybe she is right?
>
> If I was Queen of the World, all bikes would have only 1 gear :)
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Lucky for those of us who outgrew singlespeed bikes b-4 we hit puberty you ain't then, huh?

> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes... so maybe she is right?
>
> Discuss, if you want.
>
> PS

Aren't these offered as options? The new 04' at my local LBS have no disk brake s/u. All are
V's...except for the higher ticket items of course...

Dave (no need for disks...yet)

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote:

>In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
>being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
>online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on bikes...
>so maybe she is right?
>
>Discuss, if you want.

I don't know about "phased out" any more than hardtails are being "phased out." But I would
certainly agree that both v-brakes and hardtails will be (if they aren't already) the exception and
the minority, reserved for x-c racing on the one extreme and entry level bikes on the other. The
majority of bikes will be dual suspension (choose between short, medium and long travel) with discs.
They simply are better performing and more fun to ride, generally speaking of course.

P.S. SS are in a class by themselves: one gear, fully rigid, whatever brakes. Mine has v-s but they
don't work like discs. --dt

> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will
have
> > discs; V- brakes are being phased out"... I was thinking she was full
of
> > it, but then I started looking at the '04 online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised
> > to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes...
> > so maybe she is right?
>
> If I was Queen of the World, all bikes would have only 1 gear :)

-Carla Wheeler

Carla A-G wrote:
> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Lucky for those of us who outgrew singlespeed bikes b-4 we hit puberty you ain't then, huh?
>

> Your sentence is grammatically incorrect.

I had to read it twice before I quit reading it.

Something about hair, I think,...

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Lucky for those of us who outgrew singlespeed bikes b-4 we hit puberty you ain't then, huh?
>
> Your sentence is grammatically incorrect.
>
> - CA-G

Yeah, yeah, I know. But it works. (At least for me...)

Dave (are you and Baker related or something?)

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Lucky for those of us who outgrew singlespeed bikes b-4 we hit puberty you ain't then, huh?
> >
> > Your sentence is grammatically incorrect.
> >
> > - CA-G
>
> Yeah, yeah, I know. But it works. (At least for me...)
>
> Dave (are you and Baker related or something?)

Shyte, that's 2 people that I've been referred to as emulating today...first Wheeler, now Baker...

I'm on a roll.

- CA-G just don't call me JD...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> Carla A-G wrote:
>> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Lucky for those of us who outgrew singlespeed bikes b-4 we hit puberty you ain't then, huh?
>>

>> Your sentence is grammatically incorrect.
>>
> I had to read it twice before I quit reading it.
>
> Something about hair, I think,...

uh, no. That would be pubic, not puberty. And where is "your" mind at A?

maybe it was "out grew" instead of "outgrew"? or perhaps it was the use of the word "ain't"
(obviously a couple of flaws, no?)

Perhaps Professor Baker will enlighten us. (C'mon Steve, you know you want to!)

Dave (perfect nonsense maker per Shaun :)

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > Your sentence is grammatically incorrect.
>> >
>> > - CA-G
>>
>> Yeah, yeah, I know. But it works. (At least for me...)
>>
>> Dave (are you and Baker related or something?)
>
> Shyte, that's 2 people that I've been referred to as emulating today...first Wheeler, now Baker...
>
> I'm on a roll.
>
> - CA-G just don't call me JD...
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

No way in hell! You are a way better class of person than he...

Dave (I may be low, but I ain't "THAT" low)

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
bikes...
> so maybe she is right?
>
> Discuss, if you want.
>
> PS

Yes....until something better comes around.

SDC

>disk dropouts.

That is a nice looking bike.... isn't it?

John

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> > being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> > online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes...
> > so maybe she is right?
>
> If I was Queen of the World, all bikes would have only 1 gear :)
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

If I was Queen of the World, all bikes would have only 1 gear and no brakes ;) /s