Are discs the wave of the future?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:18:34 -0600, Anthony Sloan wrote:

> FWIW, I used to scoff at increasing brake technology. I had Cantilever brakes on the Merlin for
> years into and after the V-brake interregnum. But eventually I was forced into V-brakes and Guess
> what. They stopped just as good, if not better than properly set up cantis, AND they were a breeze
> to install and adjust. Joy.

I guess I still scoff at increasing brake technology. I still have cantis on my old Marin, that is
now my street/fireroad bike (and since I live within riding distance of fireroads, it gets a fair
amount of use). I set the brakes up like Bonty says, and the work great. I know those Avid v-brakes
on my other bike are supposed to be hot ****, but only if I sand the pads and clean the rim like
crazy do they ever work as good as my cantis. It drives me nuts. Of course, changing those canti
pads drives me nuts, too.

> Then came discs. And again I scoffed. "pure gew-gawry" I chortled to myself, "the industry has
> tricked the sheeple into paying more for heavier gear." Then my race bike for 2002 arrived, fitted

Yeah, I've been a little unhappy with myself for not getting a disc-ready front hub when I got a new
wheelset. It'd be so easy to put a disc brake there; now I need a hub & wheel re-done too. I would
love to still be able to brake after taking a dip in a big puddle. :-(

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:44:16 -0000, Dave W wrote:

> Dave (no need for disks...yet)

It never rains in Georgia?

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least) "It's a shallow life that
doesn't give a person a few scars" - Garrison Keillor

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 15:44:16 -0000, Dave W wrote:
>
>> Dave (no need for disks...yet)
>
> It never rains in Georgia?

very rarely it seems these days. But when it rains, I (we) don't do trails...

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
bikes...
> so maybe she is right?

I believe it to be a "cool factor" I myself have gotten over them and the annoying high-pitched
squeal they give off.

What better thing to do than put the cool factor on all new bikes to increase sales?

My vees give great performance at a rather reduced weight.

They may be phased out, but not as quickly as cantis were. Then again, I was in 5th grade when
cantis were still around, so....

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I foresee a time when, in an effort to provide superlative stopping power for bikes, the disk rotors
will become large enough to accept a tyre, and the pads will contact the rim so as to make use of
the extra leverage. The "disks" will be supported by spokes, as the weight of cast metal will be too
high, and not structurally required.

;-)

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
> bikes... so maybe she is right?

As long as there are *mart bikes, and MTB weight weenies, there will be V brakes.

But most bikes from an LBS will have disks, I think. If I were assembling bikes for a living, I sure
as hell would rather them all have disks.

I wonder, if at the beginning of the 90s, someone had the same question about suspension forks?

Hmmm....

--

Jonesy

E-mail me: rfjonesy *at* hotmail *dot* com

Discs are now illegal for UCI Cyclecross races. If you don't race, then it's no big deal.

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Penny S wrote:
> > In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will
have
> > discs; V- brakes are being phased out"... I was thinking she was full
of
> > it, but then I started looking at the '04 online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised
> > to see how many disc brakes were on
bikes...
> > so maybe she is right?
> >
> > Discuss, if you want.
> >
> > PS
> >

> FWIW, I used to scoff at increasing brake technology. I had Cantilever brakes on the Merlin for
> years into and after the V-brake interregnum. But eventually I was forced into V-brakes and Guess
> what. They stopped just as good, if not better than properly set up cantis, AND they were a breeze
> to install and adjust. Joy.
>
> Then came discs. And again I scoffed. "pure gew-gawry" I chortled to myself, "the industry has
> tricked the sheeple into paying more for heavier gear." Then my race bike for 2002 arrived, fitted
>
> And guess what. I loved them. It wasn't so much the increased power. Like any effective
> governmental system, brakes are only as good as the control they allow you to have over said
> power. And the control was what won me over. No more skidding. Effective in wet. No fade on
> extended downhills.
>
> And so. The Karate Monkey arrived. Discs.
>
> The Merlin cracked: They offered me options on the new frame. Disc specific, "yes please".
>

> disk dropouts.
>
> http://www.vanillabicycles.com/photo/cross03.jpg
>
> So. Long story short. I'm a convert.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In another discussion, a gal said that "soon all mountain bikes will have discs; V- brakes are
> being phased out"... I was thinking she was full of it, but then I started looking at the '04
> online catalogs of some manufacturers. I was surprised to see how many disc brakes were on
bikes...
> so maybe she is right?
>
> Discuss, if you want.

I wouldn't say wave, but a better alternative. I always loathed the first water crossing, on a
otherwise dry ride, knowing I was going to hear the incessant grinding of my rim brakes soon
to follow.

The future is a good marketing departament.

Lluís