Are Mavic Cosmic Elites for daily use?

Xandre

Sep 3, 2003
Hey guys, just wondering if Mavic Cosmic Elites are strong and reliable enough for daily use in the city? Any suggestions from anyone as to a good set of wheels for overall use in the city and for long distance riding? The most that I'll probably want to spend is $400. I really like the look of medium profile wheels though.

Originally posted by Xandre
Hey guys, just wondering if Mavic Cosmic Elites are strong and reliable enough for daily use in the city? Any suggestions from anyone as to a good set of wheels for overall use in the city and for long distance riding? The most that I'll probably want to spend is $400. I really like the look of medium profile wheels though.

The Cosmic Elites aren't a bad choice for general use, everyday-ish riding; they're certainly tough, from what I understand. In fact, that's probably the best use for them -- training or commuting for the enthusiast who wants cool training or enthusaist wheels. They're a bit heavy for racing or for use in hilly-territory (just under 1800g); that doesn't mean they're no good for those purposes, only that there are better choices out there for your buck.

Given that, I think there are lots of choices in the $300-$500 category for everyday training/casual riding use, some of which are maybe a bit better. You can find Cane Creek Volos for about that much; they're sturdy, sleek, comfortable (I hear), and weigh 1556g. Ritchey's Pro Z Deep Section wheels are also reliable and smooth riding, and they go for under $350; I know guys who race on the WCS Z Deep Sections (which go for around $500); they're a bit deeper and a touch lighter. My everyday wheels are the no-longer-being-made Shimano 6500 Ultegra set; they're only a hair lighter than the Cosmic Elites, but I can definitely vouch for a lively, stiff yet comfy ride. I bought them used (for only $200 - a steal!) and added a couple thousand miles recently, and have yet to have a problem. They've got a nice semi-deep rim. You can still find them out there if you look around.

Good luck!