Armstrong or Schumacher-who's bigger?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronde Chumpion, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Hey,

    F1 guy going for title #7. Bike boy going for number 6.
    Who's bigger?

    Thanks, RC

    Tags:

  2. "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey,
    >
    > F1 guy going for title #7. Bike boy going for number 6.
    > Who's bigger?
    >
    > Thanks, RC

    When biker boy's team budget tops $500 million/year, your
    question may have some basis to it.

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey,
    > >
    > > F1 guy going for title #7. Bike boy going for number 6.
    > > Who's bigger?
    > >
    > > Thanks, RC
    >
    > When biker boy's team budget tops $500 million/year, your
    > question may have some basis to it.

    And I believe Schumacher's salary is about $80 mil a year
    isn't it? Dave

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hey,
    > > >
    > > > F1 guy going for title #7. Bike boy going for number
    > > > 6. Who's bigger?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, RC
    > >
    > > When biker boy's team budget tops $500 million/year,
    > > your question may have some basis to it.
    >
    > And I believe Schumacher's salary is about $80 mil a year
    > isn't it? Dave

    Salary *and* endorsements might get up into that range. I
    think his Ferrari salary is in the $35m area. for a while
    he was also sponsored by Technogym, the same bunch who
    were part of Ferretti's MG-Technogym team. I don't know
    if they are still with him, though.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Q: Why did the metalhead cross the road?
    R: Because he's a gullible moron who'll buy
    anything with a skull on it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  5. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    But would Schumacher really be all that rich and famous if
    he were on let's say, Minardi?? Mika Salo replaced him when
    he broke his leg in Silverstone, got some results, then
    returned to his old team and pretty much disappeared from
    the leaderboards. Unless there cars are more equal, it's
    pretty much an unfair competition, whereas in cycling,
    individual efforts account for more meaning in the results.

    No doubt that he's the best on the F1 circuit, but has a
    highly funded team to provide him with the faster car.

    "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey,
    >
    > F1 guy going for title #7. Bike boy going for number 6.
    > Who's bigger?
    >
    > Thanks, RC

  6. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > But would Schumacher really be all that rich and famous if
    > he were on let's say, Minardi?? Mika Salo replaced him
    > when he broke his leg in Silverstone, got some results,
    > then returned to his old team and
    pretty
    > much disappeared from the leaderboards. Unless there

    there=their

  7. Roger Ramjet

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    middle eastnern cab drives than can do his job.

    "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message news:[email protected]
    > > > gle.com...

    bigger?

    > > > When biker boy's team budget tops $500 million/year,
    > > > your question may
    have
    > > > some basis to it.
    > >
    > > And I believe Schumacher's salary is about $80 mil a
    > > year isn't it? Dave
    >
    > Salary *and* endorsements might get up into that range.
    > I think his Ferrari salary is in the $35m area. for a
    > while he was also sponsored by Technogym, the same
    > bunch who were part of Ferretti's MG-Technogym team. I
    > don't know if they are still with him, though.
    >
    > --
    > tanx, Howard
    >
    >Q: Why did the metalhead cross the road?
    >A: Because he's a gullible moron who'll buy
    > anything with a skull on it.
    >
    > remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  8. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/3yzsw

    --

  9. On 09 Mar 2004 23:20:53 EST, "Jiyang Chen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But would Schumacher really be all that rich and famous if
    >he were on let's say, Minardi?? Mika Salo replaced him when
    >he broke his leg in Silverstone, got some results, then
    >returned to his old team and pretty much disappeared from
    >the leaderboards. Unless there cars are more equal, it's
    >pretty much an unfair competition, whereas in cycling,
    >individual efforts account for more meaning in the results.
    >
    >No doubt that he's the best on the F1 circuit, but has a
    >highly funded team to provide him with the faster car.

    You underestimate the poor results Ferrari had before
    he joined and the role he contiues to play in
    devloping the car.

    Regards! Stephen

  10. Smiles

    Smiles Guest

    "Roger Ramjet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:VOw3c.604$%[email protected]...

    of
    > middle eastnern cab drives than can do his job.

    First to answer the original question Schumacher is way
    "bigger" world wide than just about any other active sports
    figure!! ... as for you ... BULL ... that's like saying any
    of the NYC bicycle messengers can win the tour!! I have
    raced motorcycles and it's amazing when you are on the track
    with a world caliber rider ... they pass you like you are
    standing still (I was turning 100mph average laps at
    Willow)!! Yea he may not have the capacity of Lance ... but
    what it takes to get to his level CANNOT be done by some NYC
    cabbie ... if any of those guys were even close some rich
    oil sheik from their county would be all over it ...
    ignorance is bliss.

    s http://boardnbike.com

  11. Steve McGinty wrote:

    > On 09 Mar 2004 23:20:53 EST, "Jiyang Chen"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>But would Schumacher really be all that rich and famous if
    >>he were on let's say, Minardi?? Mika Salo replaced him
    >>when he broke his leg in Silverstone, got some results,
    >>then returned to his old team and pretty much disappeared
    >>from the leaderboards. Unless there cars are more equal,
    >>it's pretty much an unfair competition, whereas in
    >>cycling, individual efforts account for more meaning in
    >>the results.
    >>
    >>No doubt that he's the best on the F1 circuit, but has a
    >>highly funded team to provide him with the faster car.
    >

    > You underestimate the poor results Ferrari had before
    > he joined and the role he contiues to play in devloping
    > the car.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

    Definitely. Much of what Michael Schumacher did was to
    marshal the team around him, and change the composition of
    the team to suit his needs, including bringing Ross Brawn
    and Rory Byrne onto the team. This is something that many of
    the greats (Senna, Prost, Lauda, etc.) were able to do.

    Anyway, the better drivers will eventually end up on the
    better teams, for the most part. The cream generally rises
    to the top.

    Now, Kimi Raikonnen may be the driver who makes your case.
    Potential World Champion in driving ability, but he may be
    hamstrung, at least this year, if the McLaren-Mercedes is
    not up to speed.

  12. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > You underestimate the poor results Ferrari had before
    > he joined and the role he contiues to play in devloping
    > the car.

    And he won his first title in a low budget Benetton.

  14. Steve McGinty wrote:

    > On 09 Mar 2004 23:20:53 EST, "Jiyang Chen"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>But would Schumacher really be all that rich and famous if
    >>he were on let's say, Minardi?? Mika Salo replaced him
    >>when he broke his leg in Silverstone, got some results,
    >>then returned to his old team and pretty much disappeared
    >>from the leaderboards. Unless there cars are more equal,
    >>it's pretty much an unfair competition, whereas in
    >>cycling, individual efforts account for more meaning in
    >>the results.
    >>
    >>No doubt that he's the best on the F1 circuit, but has a
    >>highly funded team to provide him with the faster car.
    >

    > You underestimate the poor results Ferrari had before
    > he joined and the role he contiues to play in devloping
    > the car.
    >
    > Regards! Stephen

    Definitely. Much of what Michael Schumacher did was to
    marshal the team around him, and change the composition of
    the team to suit his needs, including bringing Ross Brawn
    and Rory Byrne onto the team. This is something that many of
    the greats (Senna, Prost, Lauda, etc.) were able to do.

    Anyway, the better drivers will eventually end up on the
    better teams, for the most part. The cream generally rises
    to the top.

    Now, Kimi Raikonnen may be the driver who makes your case.
    Potential World Champion in driving ability, but he may be
    hamstrung, at least this year, if the McLaren-Mercedes is
    not up to speed.

  15. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > You underestimate the poor results Ferrari had before
    > he joined and the role he contiues to play in devloping
    > the car.

    And he won his first title in a low budget Benetton.

  16. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > You underestimate the poor results Ferrari had before
    > he joined and the role he contiues to play in devloping
    > the car.

    And he won his first title in a low budget Benetton.

  17. John Everett

    John Everett Guest