Armstrong's back

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ken Very Big Liar, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. I was talking to a chiropractor today and we got on the subject of Armstrong.
    He mentioned that he had a back condition that he gets treatment for. The name
    of that condition of course I can't remember but he did say that in his elder
    years it'll be a pretty big problem for him. It actually creates the hump in
    his back. This guy said his lower back becomes concave allowing the upper back
    to stick out. He said that this actually is supposed to give Armstrong an
    aerodynamic advantage on the TT bike. I remember Rominger having a similar
    hump. Has anyone else read or heard about this?

    Tags:

  2. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Ken Very Big Liar wrote:

    > I was talking to a chiropractor today and we got on the subject of Armstrong.
    > He mentioned that he had a back condition that he gets treatment for. The name
    > of that condition of course I can't remember but he did say that in his elder
    > years it'll be a pretty big problem for him. It actually creates the hump in
    > his back. This guy said his lower back becomes concave allowing the upper back
    > to stick out. He said that this actually is supposed to give Armstrong an
    > aerodynamic advantage on the TT bike. I remember Rominger having a similar
    > hump. Has anyone else read or heard about this?

    Rominger's affliction is called the Rominger Hump.

    From "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program", pg 37, Lance has
    spondylolisthesis, a fracture in his fifth lumbar vertibrae.

    Dan

  3. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Ken Very Big Liar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I was talking to a chiropractor today and we got on the subject of

    Armstrong.
    > He mentioned that he had a back condition that he gets treatment for. The

    name
    > of that condition of course I can't remember but he did say that in his

    elder
    > years it'll be a pretty big problem for him. It actually creates the hump

    in
    > his back. This guy said his lower back becomes concave allowing the upper

    back
    > to stick out. He said that this actually is supposed to give Armstrong an
    > aerodynamic advantage on the TT bike. I remember Rominger having a

    similar
    > hump. Has anyone else read or heard about this?

    I noticed in one of the episodes of "The Lance Commercial" on OLN he had
    some big, weird yellow thing around his torso. It actually looked a bit
    like a giant one of his Livestrong wrist bands. If that's what it was, I'll
    bet it costs more than $1.

    Anyway, I assumed it was delivering some kind of back therapy. If I recall
    correctly, this was something he had on immediately after a stage in some
    early-season race. I remember he was still in his team kit.

    They've also shown scenes of him having people pop his back and stuff like
    that.

    Bob C.

  4. Ken Very Big Liar <[email protected]> writes:

    > I was talking to a chiropractor today and we got on the subject of Armstrong.
    > He mentioned that he had a back condition that he gets treatment for. The name
    > of that condition of course I can't remember but he did say that in his elder
    > years it'll be a pretty big problem for him. It actually creates the hump in
    > his back. This guy said his lower back becomes concave allowing the upper back
    > to stick out. He said that this actually is supposed to give Armstrong an
    > aerodynamic advantage on the TT bike. I remember Rominger having a similar
    > hump. Has anyone else read or heard about this?

    I don't know, but I always adhered to the ``Flatten The Back'' philosophy
    personally.

    http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=6467

    --
    le Vent a Dos
    Davey Crockett

  5. David Off

    David Off Guest

    Dan Connelly wrote:
    > From "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program", pg 37, Lance has
    > spondylolisthesis, a fracture in his fifth lumbar vertibrae.
    >
    > Dan

    I think you mean spondylolysis, spondylolisthesis is a slipped disk.

  6. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Ken Very Big Liar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was talking to a chiropractor today and we got on the subject of Armstrong.
    > He mentioned that he had a back condition that he gets treatment for. The name
    > of that condition of course I can't remember but he did say that in his elder
    > years it'll be a pretty big problem for him. It actually creates the hump in
    > his back. This guy said his lower back becomes concave allowing the upper back
    > to stick out. He said that this actually is supposed to give Armstrong an
    > aerodynamic advantage on the TT bike. I remember Rominger having a similar
    > hump. Has anyone else read or heard about this?

    I was looking at a picture of Lance from the side and was thinking
    about that hump of his. I think that he has scoliosis which wouldn't
    be surprising since it is pretty common.

  7. David Off wrote:

    > Dan Connelly wrote:
    >
    >> From "The Lance Armstrong Performance Program", pg 37, Lance has
    >> spondylolisthesis, a fracture in his fifth lumbar vertibrae.
    >>
    >> Dan

    > I think you mean spondylolysis, spondylolisthesis is a slipped disk.

    Taking medical advice on the Internet means that you can easily die from
    a typo.