As long as I live, I will never ride a bike without a helmet

Alan Erskine

Guest
This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside the Beaumauris Yacht Club,
there's a _small_ decline. That wasn't a problem until I realised I was doing 40+km/h and there's a
sharp left turn heading south towards Mordialloc.

Screech of brakes - BANG - slight headache and a grazed elbow is all I suffered. I was wearing a
back pack too - ripped it open and tore one of the shoulder strap buckles off. If it wasn't for the
helmet and backpack, it would have been ME that was ripped open - head and back.

One lady asked if I was alright and I said "fine". Thankfully, one of the things I always carry in
my backpack is a first aid kit - two band-aid-job on the elbow.

$1000 bike's ok too. I'll heal, but a bike costs money to get fixed.

I also won't be stupid enough to go around that little, insignificant corner (that I've been through
dozens of times before without problems but at a _much lower speed_) without slowing down first.

--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

AMATURE

"Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside
the
> Beaumauris Yacht Club, there's a _small_ decline. That wasn't a problem until I realised I was
> doing 40+km/h and there's a sharp left turn heading south towards Mordialloc.
>
> Screech of brakes - BANG - slight headache and a grazed elbow is all I suffered. I was wearing a
> back pack too - ripped it open and tore one of the shoulder strap buckles off. If it wasn't for
> the helmet and backpack, it would have been ME that was ripped open - head and back.
>
> One lady asked if I was alright and I said "fine". Thankfully, one of the things I always carry in
> my backpack is a first aid kit - two band-aid-job on the elbow.
>
> $1000 bike's ok too. I'll heal, but a bike costs money to get fixed.
>
> I also won't be stupid enough to go around that little, insignificant
corner
> (that I've been through dozens of times before without problems but at a _much lower speed_)
> without slowing down first.
>
> --
> Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com
>
> Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
> www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

glad your ok, ya need to learn to fall tho, avoid the headaches :) at least you didnt fall with your
hands outstretched and break your wrists. I wear a helmet, but sometimes I forget. I only realise
when i start noticeing im feeling abnormally happy and free, with wind rushing over my head. SO its
no biggie.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:26:43 +1000, "Alan Erskine" <[email protected]> wrote:

>This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside the Beaumauris Yacht Club,
>there's a _small_ decline. That wasn't a problem until I realised I was doing 40+km/h and there's a
>sharp left turn heading south towards Mordialloc.
>
>Screech of brakes - BANG - slight headache and a grazed elbow is all I suffered. I was wearing a
>back pack too - ripped it open and tore one of the shoulder strap buckles off. If it wasn't for the
>helmet and backpack, it would have been ME that was ripped open - head and back.
>
>One lady asked if I was alright and I said "fine". Thankfully, one of the things I always carry in
>my backpack is a first aid kit - two band-aid-job on the elbow.
>
>$1000 bike's ok too. I'll heal, but a bike costs money to get fixed.
>
>I also won't be stupid enough to go around that little, insignificant corner (that I've been
>through dozens of times before without problems but at a _much lower speed_) without slowing
>down first.

"Leon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> AMATURE

Yeah, so?

I started braking and hit the sand near the bottom of the hill. Then I REALLY hit the sand! Nowhere
to go and nothing I could do to stop it.
--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> glad your ok, ya need to learn to fall tho, avoid the headaches :) at least you didnt fall with
> your hands outstretched and break your wrists. I wear a helmet, but sometimes I forget. I only
> realise when i start noticeing im feeling abnormally happy and free, with wind rushing over my
> head. SO its no biggie.

Agreed. But there's a railing on both sides of the track there. I think I'm _very_ lucky and I won't
make that mistake again.
--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

Leon <[email protected]> wrote:
: AMATURE

The first rule of pointless responses is to at least spell correctly. I mean, follow that ol' adage:
better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt!

Lynzz

"Lindsay Rowlands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Leon <[email protected]> wrote:
> : AMATURE
>
> The first rule of pointless responses is to at least spell correctly. I mean, follow that ol'
> adage: better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt!
>
> Lynzz

Yes. "For whom should have not made a stupid mistake on a bike, cast the first insult"

I think Alan freely admited making a mistake. He did not try and dispute even your insult.

Pete

Originally posted by Alan Erskine
$1000 bike's ok too. I'll heal, but a bike costs money to get fixed.
I also won't be stupid enough to go around that little, insignificant corner (that I've been through
dozens of times before without problems but at a _much lower speed_) without slowing down first.

ain't cornering fun? pleased to hear you are reasonably ok, and the bike will live.

How come I never read of threads/discussions on cycling newsgroups relating to the use of cycling gloves with the same importance of wearing helmets?

Seriously, I NEVER EVER ride without gloves. Even on the BMX on a short trip down to the shops. Even in costume when the mood hits.
Anyway, in the case of a bingle, it's easier to throw the hands out without tearing off important stuff, like skin and tendons for example.....

Helmets, yes, extremely important, but I'll never ride without gloves.

"John Doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes. "For whom should have not made a stupid mistake on a bike, cast the first insult"

I'm keeping this one. ;-)

--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

Hi Alan.
Poor you.
I'm glad you are not too badly hurt but no fall is ever pleasant.
And your bike being banged up also.
Not nice.
Hugs to you and to the lady who was kind enought to enquire after you.

I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted.
Cyclists have always been a friendly, amiable bunch, in my experience, and falls are too close to the bone for me to understand his comment.
I think we have all been there and done something similar and the only thing that is important is that you are ok.

Hugs to you,
Claire

On 19 Oct 2003 13:45:22 +0950, cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

>Alan Erskine wrote:
> > $1000 bike's ok too. I'll heal, but a bike costs money to get fixed. I also won't be stupid
> > enough to go around that little, insignificant corner (that I've been through dozens of times
> > before without problems but at a _much lower speed_) without slowing down first.
>

>ain't cornering fun? pleased to hear you are reasonably ok, and the bike will live.
>
>How come I never read of threads/discussions on cycling newsgroups relating to the use of cycling
>gloves with the same importance of wearing helmets?
>
>Seriously, I NEVER EVER ride without gloves. Even on the BMX on a short trip down to the shops.
>Even in costume when the mood hits. Anyway, in the case of a bingle, it's easier to throw the hands
>out without tearing off important stuff, like skin and tendons for example.....

dont be silly, that isnt exactly an intelligent way to fall. Learn to fall, you can forget
about gloves.

On 19 Oct 2003 15:15:26 +0950, BicycleGirl <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi Alan. Poor you. I'm glad you are not too badly hurt but no fall is ever pleasant. And your
>bike being banged up also. Not nice. Hugs to you and to the lady who was kind enought to enquire
>after you.
>
>I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted. Cyclists have always
>been a friendly, amiable bunch, in my experience, and falls are too close to the bone for me to
>understand his comment.

Well if he doesnt cycle for a living, hes an amateur :) I think it means he loves cycling or
something, so im sure he can feel good about
it :)
>I think we have all been there and done something similar and the only thing that is important is
>that you are ok.

very true
>Hugs to you, Claire

<snip>
> Seriously, I NEVER EVER ride without gloves. Even on the BMX on a short trip down to the shops.
> Even in costume when the mood hits. Anyway, in the case of a bingle, it's easier to throw the
> hands out without tearing off important stuff, like skin and tendons for example.....
>
> Helmets, yes, extremely important, but I'll never ride without gloves.

<snip>

Speaking of gloves.....a mate of mine who used to ride a motorbike when I was in Brisbane used to
always wear leather gloves.....even if it was really hot and he had shorts and singlets on, he would
be wearing this big pair of gloves. When I asked him about it he told me that it was advice from his
father who had told him that the first instinct when hitting the ground is to put out your hands and
then asked him " Do you know anyone well enough to ask them to wipe your **** whilst your hands are
bandaged up?"

My mate reckons that one always stuck in his mind........hehe.

Gags

> Well if he doesnt cycle for a living, hes an amateur :) I think it means he loves cycling or
> something, so im sure he can feel good about
> it :)

Spin Doctor! :).

Thanks, Claire. Bike's fine, I'm ok but my backpack is absolutely ^&#cked. Getting a new, cheap one
on Friday and I'll save my pennies and buy a good one in a couple of months.

--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

"BicycleGirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Alan. Poor you. I'm glad you are not too badly hurt but no fall is ever pleasant. And your
> bike being banged up also. Not nice. Hugs to you and to the lady who was kind enought to enquire
> after you.
>
> I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted. Cyclists have always
> been a friendly, amiable bunch, in my experience, and falls are too close to the bone for me to
> understand his comment. I think we have all been there and done something similar and the only
> thing that is important is that you are ok.
>
> Hugs to you, Claire

>I'm ok but my backpack is absolutely ^&#cked. Getting a new, cheap one on Friday and I'll save my
>pennies and buy a good one in a couple of months.
you are of course, going to get a new helmet first

Claire said
>I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted

David said
> Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).

Alan Erskine said
>He's a liar.

so l guess its just possible that Alan is making this all up just to get hugs from you Claire

Alan Erskine wrote:

> This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside the Beaumauris Yacht Club,
> there's a _small_ decline.

[snip]

This story clearly proves that riding with helmet on could, and most of the times, is more hazardous
than riding bare-headed. Say, if you did not have a few cm of hard foam on your head, would you ride
so recklessly along the Beach Road?

--
Best regards, Rado bladteth Rzeznicki http://www.widzew.net/~bladteth/rower.html
mailto:[email protected] MCM #252

> This story clearly proves that riding with helmet on could, and most of the times, is more
> hazardous than riding bare-headed. Say, if you did not have a few cm of hard foam on your head,
> would you ride so recklessly along the Beach Road?

here we go again. I knew sooner or later someone would have to bring up the "fact" that helmets
cause more head injuries.

Here then follows a debate on helmets which can be found verbatim by doing a google search.

We will hear arguments containing numerous statistics that people who wear helmets ride like they
are invincible. Arguments to say that helmets have caused people to put their bikes back in the shed
never to ride again. Arguments will contain invalid assumptions, questionable and badly interpreted
statistics. Then someone will say that ****** wore a bike stack hat. Then the other will say Jesus
did. So lets bring it on. To save myself some time I might do a google search on helmet debating and
just start copying text. I should setup a couple of email addresses and have a fight with myself.

Prepare for the attacks and counter attacks. The "Tisnot"s and "Tisso"s Noone has their minds
changed and most people walk away due to complete boredom.

---OR---

we could understand that this case has been tried numerous times and we have a hung jury. Respect
the others opinions and be happy with that. I doubt this will happen so get ready for the onslaught.

Peter

>, if you did not have a few cm of hard foam on your head, would you ride so recklessly along the
>Beach Road?

Do people drive slower when they are not wearing a seatbelt ? Do people walk out when the lights are
against them ? Ect.

Your not at all realistic about the behaviour of people.

AJS

"Rado bladteth Rzeznicki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Erskine wrote:
>
> > This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside
the
> > Beaumauris Yacht Club, there's a _small_ decline.
>
> [snip]
>
> This story clearly proves that riding with helmet on could, and most of the times, is more
> hazardous than riding bare-headed. Say, if you did not have a few cm of hard foam on your head,
> would you ride so recklessly along the Beach Road?
>
> --
> Best regards, Rado bladteth Rzeznicki http://www.widzew.net/~bladteth/rower.html
> mailto:[email protected] MCM #252

> Do people drive slower when they are not wearing a seatbelt ? Do people walk out when the lights
> are against them ? Ect.
Reminds me of the best safety device that should be installed in a car to stop speeding... Attach a
large sharp spike to the centre of the steering wheel and then remove the seat belt..