As long as I live, I will never ride a bike without a helmet

"Rado bladteth Rzeznicki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alan Erskine wrote:
>
> > This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside
the
> > Beaumauris Yacht Club, there's a _small_ decline.
>
> [snip]
>
> This story clearly proves that riding with helmet on could, and most of the times, is more
> hazardous than riding bare-headed. Say, if you did not have a few cm of hard foam on your head,
> would you ride so recklessly along the Beach Road?

If you read my posts _properly_ you would see that I said I hit some sand near the bottom of the
hill and that I had nowhere to go. I said this in response to the post from "Leon" two days ago
("Leon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> AMATURE

Yeah, so?

I started braking and hit the sand near the bottom of the hill. Then I REALLY hit the sand! Nowhere
to go and nothing I could do to stop it.)

It wasn't a matter of irresponsibility or not, it was simply unavoidable. It could just as easily
have happened on the level part of the bike path due to wind-blown sand. That's precisely the reason
_why_ I wear a helmet - to save myself from the unavoidable incidents that _do_ occur. Or I could
have run into another cyclist going in the opposite direction (either of us could be avoiding the
scrub along the path edges) or one of the skaters or....

What you're saying is the same as "so, you were walking along the street and got a nail in your shoe
which went into your foot; if you weren't wearing shoes would you have been so reckless?"

Just for the record, it was the Beauy Yacht Club just north of Reserve Road, not the Beaumaris Motor
Yacht Squadron which is around the 'corner' on Beaumaris Bay - I always get those two mixed up.
--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

> Leon wrote:
> : AMATURE

Then Lindsay wrote (tongue in cheek)
> The first rule of pointless responses is to at least spell correctly. I mean, follow that ol'
> adage: better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt!

Nobody understood!

Later Bicycle girl wrote
>I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted.

Again, nobody noticed.

Doesn't anybody (apart from Lynzz) know how to spell amateur?

Theo

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I'm ok but my backpack is absolutely ^&#cked. Getting a new, cheap one on Friday and I'll save my
> >pennies and buy a
good
> >one in a couple of months.
> you are of course, going to get a new helmet first
>

> Claire said
> >I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted
>

> David said
> > Today he reported to me that he did 73 kph in a 50 kph zone (downhill).
>
> Alan Erskine said
> >He's a liar.
>
> so l guess its just possible that Alan is making this all up just to get hugs from you Claire

No, I think you'll find that the original poster said "A friend told me" that they had done 73km/h
on a bike (after losing their driving licence) and was wondering about the legal consequenses -
essentially a 'troll post' (you know, the mysterious, anonymous 'friend' that doesn't actually exist
in an attempt to illicit a response?). I don't know who David is, I don't know who the "friend" is
and I don't know who Claire is either. I simply appreciated her kind words and said so. I also said
similar things to a _guy_ who posted kind words. Don't make anything out of that either, thank you
very much.

--
Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp

"stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >I'm ok but my backpack is absolutely ^&#cked. Getting a new, cheap one on Friday and I'll save my
> >pennies and buy a
good

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:FDQkb.158818$bo1.4440@news-
> Doesn't anybody (apart from Lynzz) know how to spell amateur?

Ama-cha? Emehchar? Maybe we should dropped that word from usenet and just use "beginner" or "newbie"
or "freshman" or something similar?

All those in favour...

hippy
- sleep time now

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:39:43 +1000, Rado bladteth Rzeznicki <[email protected]> wrote:

>Alan Erskine wrote:
>
>> This afternoon, while riding along the the Beach Road bike path outside the Beaumauris Yacht
>> Club, there's a _small_ decline.
>
>[snip]
>
>This story clearly proves that riding with helmet on could, and most of the times, is more
>hazardous than riding bare-headed. Say, if you did not have a few cm of hard foam on your head,
>would you ride so recklessly along the Beach Road?

Well, when i'm riding off road, I go far faster, and do far more dangerous things when i have a tiny
foam hat, so I think your point is very valid. I want some other protective gear, but the kmart
stuff restricts movement and is abrasive.

Armater? Ahmature? Ahmartour? Amater?

I'm worried 'cause when I check the spelling, it came up as ok even though "amature" looked 'funny'.
I just checked again and _now_ it is funny! Donchyalove Microsoft?
--

Alan Erskine wrote:

> Armater? Ahmature? Ahmartour? Amater?
>
> I'm worried 'cause when I check the spelling, it came up as ok even though "amature" looked
> 'funny'. I just checked again and _now_ it is funny! Donchyalove Microsoft?
> --
> Alan Erskine alanterskine(at)hotmail.com
>
> Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad - the new ******
> www.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20031017/12/domestic/969056.inp
>
> "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > Leon wrote:
> > > : AMATURE
> >
> > Then Lindsay wrote (tongue in cheek)
> > > The first rule of pointless responses is to at least spell correctly. I mean, follow that ol'
> > > adage: better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt!
> >
> > Nobody understood!
> >
> > Later Bicycle girl wrote
> > >I'd like to also say that leon's "Amatuer" comment was just not warranted.
> >
> > Again, nobody noticed.
> >
> > Doesn't anybody (apart from Lynzz) know how to spell amateur?
> >
> > Theo

Maybe better late than never to this thread, I guess.

Touring in 1993, 60 kph downhill on a gravel road, front wheel failure, which flipped me out of my
toe-clips and over my LeMond knock-off bars... arm broken in 3 places, dislocated shoulder that
needed surgery and titanium pins to put it back in, deep abrasions all down by back and both hands
and arms that left scars still visible now, a week in hospital and 6 weeks in a cast.

Thing is, my head hit the road before the rest of me (I did the instinctive put my arms up 'gainst
the road thing instead of doing the body wrap and roll that we (and me, later) learn to do). My Bell
V-1 Pro's hard shell had been cracked and severely ripped up, and the inch-thick inner layer had
been mashed down to a thin sheet on its front and left.

I was back on my new bike after two months.

If I hadn't been wearing a bike helmet, I would probably have nevertheless still been alive. But it
probably would have been a long time before I could talk, or walk.

As long as I live, I will never ride a bike without a helmet.

Ouch Alan!
Big W have got pretty good camel-style paks on for about 56 bucks. It's not to bad and will do the job nicely for me I think