Assholes crawling out of the cracks

Bill C

Guest
This silly season has brought more new cockroaches out than I can
laugh off. Tom, whether you agree or not adds a lot to be discussed.
All the pinheads *****ing about how there's nothing to discuss need to
add something before whining like a submissive male having his ass
beat.
Bill C

On 8 Jan 2006 16:29:27 -0800, "Bill C" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> This silly season has brought more new cockroaches out than I can
>laugh off. Tom, whether you agree or not adds a lot to be discussed.
>All the pinheads *****ing about how there's nothing to discuss need to
>add something before whining like a submissive male having his ass
>beat.
> Bill C

Well, I'll bring up an old discussion. Watched the 2005 Paris-Roubaix
and whatever Hincapie said, I can't see why the hell he seemed to
simply decide to take the lead heading into the track. And once in the
lead, why he didn't hit the brakes and make someone, anyone, take the
lead. It didn't look like dead legs or any obvious superiority on the
part of Boonen - Hincapie gave him more respect than you'd give a
Kelly in his prime. Ride 260 kilos so you can have the best seat in
the house to watch Boonen win. Geez. It wasn't like there was anyone
else ready to ride up on them if they sparred for 500-600 meters or so
outside the track for position.

Hincapie - most clueless 'move' of 2005 award. Is it still open for
nominations? (This is all based on the assumption that after at least
4 close P-Rs to the podium, Hincapie wouldn't take sunglass money to
ride second - maybe a pollyanna about that.)

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis, is it just me or did you perhaps miss the fact that Tom Boonen
won all up sprints in the Tour de France? Do you suppose that someone
that outsprints Eric Zabel, Robby McEwen, Jaan Kirsipu, Robbie Hunter
and even Petacchi is going to worry about George Hincapie? Don't be
silly. If George did everything perfectly he would still have lost by
bike lengths.

On 9 Jan 2006 08:41:09 -0800, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Curtis, is it just me or did you perhaps miss the fact that Tom Boonen
>won all up sprints in the Tour de France? Do you suppose that someone
>that outsprints Eric Zabel, Robby McEwen, Jaan Kirsipu, Robbie Hunter
>and even Petacchi is going to worry about George Hincapie? Don't be
>silly. If George did everything perfectly he would still have lost by
>bike lengths.

You don't give up at 259 kilos. You ride your best race to the finish
and take your best shot. Hincapie wasn't going to lose to the Flecha,
Magnus Backstedt was way back on the road, so he risked nothing over
second place by taking a better shot at first. And I still can't quite
figure out the 'move' that put him into first - he looked like the guy
that volunteers by not noticing everyone else is taking a step back.

Short answer is that I can't see how anyone that watches P-R from the
last short cobbles would think Hincapie was putting a lot of thought
into what he was doing.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:11:18 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 9 Jan 2006 08:41:09 -0800, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Curtis, is it just me or did you perhaps miss the fact that Tom Boonen
>>won all up sprints in the Tour de France? Do you suppose that someone
>>that outsprints Eric Zabel, Robby McEwen, Jaan Kirsipu, Robbie Hunter
>>and even Petacchi is going to worry about George Hincapie? Don't be
>>silly. If George did everything perfectly he would still have lost by
>>bike lengths.

>You don't give up at 259 kilos. You ride your best race to the finish
>and take your best shot. Hincapie wasn't going to lose to the Flecha,
>Magnus Backstedt was way back on the road, so he risked nothing over
>second place by taking a better shot at first. And I still can't quite
>figure out the 'move' that put him into first - he looked like the guy
>that volunteers by not noticing everyone else is taking a step back.
>
>Short answer is that I can't see how anyone that watches P-R from the
>last short cobbles would think Hincapie was putting a lot of thought
>into what he was doing.
>
>Curtis L. Russell
>Odenton, MD (USA)
>Just someone on two wheels...

My guess was that since he knew he couldn't win in a sprint that he'd
either test to see if he could leave Boonen or if he could tire him
enough to have a figthing chance in a sprint. It wasn't a strong
effort either way.

There was nothing he could do to change the outcome but if he would
have let someone else lead and then tried to sprint with Boonen there
would be some yahoo here talking about how dumb that was too.

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> figure out the 'move' that put him into first - he looked like the guy
> that volunteers by not noticing everyone else is taking a step back.

Haha! Yeah he probably got suckered into the lead. On the other hand, if
he had slowed down at that point, his chances against power man Boonen
would have been worse still.

--
E. Dronkert

Curtis L. Russell wrote:

> Hincapie - most clueless 'move' of 2005 award. Is it still open for
> nominations? (This is all based on the assumption that after at least
> 4 close P-Rs to the podium, Hincapie wouldn't take sunglass money to
> ride second - maybe a pollyanna about that.)

Dumbass -

In a match sprint situation (which that devolved into), it's not always
dumb to lead. The equation depends upon the various riders' strengths,
distance from the line, the relative positions of the riders on the
track, and the speed of the riders at the moment.

The equation changes with each passing meter. Granted G. Hincapie
didn't ride a smart finale, but it was hardly the most clueless move of
2005.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> Dumbass -
>
> In a match sprint situation (which that devolved into), it's not always
> dumb to lead. The equation depends upon the various riders' strengths,
> distance from the line, the relative positions of the riders on the
> track, and the speed of the riders at the moment.
>
> The equation changes with each passing meter. Granted G. Hincapie
> didn't ride a smart finale, but it was hardly the most clueless move of
> 2005.
>

> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

Maybe George should've done a pursuit on the track hoping to burn Boonen
out. Maybe he didn't have it in him to even try. (And was it only two
laps on the track? Not much of a pursuit.)

He probably could not have won no matter what he tried.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

On 9 Jan 2006 16:45:45 -0800, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In a match sprint situation (which that devolved into), it's not always
>dumb to lead. The equation depends upon the various riders' strengths,
>distance from the line, the relative positions of the riders on the
>track, and the speed of the riders at the moment.

Hincapie looked like Boogerd against Rebellin in 2004. First, I think
the dumb move wasn't what he did on the track - it was the run-up to
the track, where he took first for no good reason and made no attempt
to change that place rolling onto the track. And he never made pace at
the front to really break onto the track with any speed.

I don't think George made a move on the track, accept to accelerate
past Flecha. All that proved was that he had the legs to at least
attempt something, but all he did was mark Flecha enough to keep
second while making no attempt that I could see to stop Boonen from
making a simple move to the win from the high bank. Still think George
settled for second rather than race for first.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2006 16:45:45 -0800, "Kurgan Gringioni"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In a match sprint situation (which that devolved into), it's not always
> >dumb to lead. The equation depends upon the various riders' strengths,
> >distance from the line, the relative positions of the riders on the
> >track, and the speed of the riders at the moment.

> Hincapie looked like Boogerd against Rebellin in 2004. First, I think
> the dumb move wasn't what he did on the track - it was the run-up to
> the track, where he took first for no good reason and made no attempt
> to change that place rolling onto the track. And he never made pace at
> the front to really break onto the track with any speed.
>
> I don't think George made a move on the track, accept to accelerate
> past Flecha. All that proved was that he had the legs to at least
> attempt something, but all he did was mark Flecha enough to keep
> second while making no attempt that I could see to stop Boonen from
> making a simple move to the win from the high bank. Still think George
> settled for second rather than race for first.

Dumbass -

His tactical shortcoming in that race don't even come close to the
"Bonehead Move of the Year" description that you bestowed upon him.

I'd point to Ullrich's chasing down teamates while he had LANCE on his
wheel. Something like that.

When it comes to not making a good move to win a race like GH did -
that happens with regularity, guys getting to the finale with somone
who's a better sprinter, then running them straight up.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.