assholes who throw things

Whatever you do, don't follow this guy's example but here is an amusing quotation. I read about this guy and it was like the film Falling Down with Michael Douglas. It was the car that splashed him with mud that tipped the cyclist totally over the edge:
http://www.theatrewritingpartnership.org.uk/index.php/productions/season/what_the_papers_say

“Vicious bike-riding nut slashes two thousand tyres” :eek:

“The mad cyclist’s revenge” :D

“Car hater stabs seventeen hundred tyres after being splashed by passing motorist” :(
This is a man who has developed a hatred for the motorist and has taken revenge. Ashley Carpenter, 37, no driving licence, no job, no wife, nothing, went on a ten-day rampage. He left home on his bike during hours of darkness and randomly slashed the tyres of nearly six hundred cars. The damage has been estimated at nearly quarter of a million pounds. Here is a man who had nothing but the belief that he was right and the courage to act on it."

Carrera said:
I caught one. This was someone who blasted a horn and forced me to swerve at a roundabout to make room for the car.
I was so angry I can't describe it. I went straight for the car pedaling at a speed I'll bet I never reached before. I just kept going and, to my immense joy, I finally caught the car at a red light.
A huge argument followed, with the woman in the passenger seat also yelling abuse and me taking the licence plate of the vehicle. The driver was yelling stuff like he was out to knock cyclists off the road as they shouldn't be allowed. I could have taken things further and flagged down a police car but I said my bit and took the number.
it's rare when a cyclist catches a car for the obvious reasons. most of the time these idiots make sure they can't be caught so that makes them brave & gives them the green light to act without consideration toward others. i'm glad to hear when someone gets them at a red light, but it's rare. um...why didn't you flag down a police car then? if someone told me that they are out to "knock cyclists off the road" i probably would have heaved a brick through their winshield! and eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth i always say. the horn issue is another thing that baffles me. i always get people who blow their horn at me. i wonder if they are just bring pricks, or they just want to alert me of their presence. it's hard to tell the difference between the two. don't they realize i can hear? i hear cars way before they approach me & make sure i'm over to the right out of the way...

Carrera said:
Whatever you do, don't follow this guy's example but here is an amusing quotation. I read about this guy and it was like the film Falling Down with Michael Douglas. It was the car that splashed him with mud that tipped the cyclist totally over the edge:
http://www.theatrewritingpartnership.org.uk/index.php/productions/season/what_the_papers_say

“Vicious bike-riding nut slashes two thousand tyres” :eek:

“The mad cyclist’s revenge” :D

“Car hater stabs seventeen hundred tyres after being splashed by passing motorist” :(
This is a man who has developed a hatred for the motorist and has taken revenge. Ashley Carpenter, 37, no driving licence, no job, no wife, nothing, went on a ten-day rampage. He left home on his bike during hours of darkness and randomly slashed the tyres of nearly six hundred cars. The damage has been estimated at nearly quarter of a million pounds. Here is a man who had nothing but the belief that he was right and the courage to act on it."
to anyone who wants to slash tires on the cars who are driven by idiots, i'll provide a free sharpening service for your knives!

Carrera said:
The whole thing is getting beyond a joke. Every week I have abuse shouted by car drivers. Seems to me like jealousy too. Don't see the point of sitting in a car stuck in a queue for ages.
Did you ever notice that a lot of those who shout at us for being on the road are, to be polite, FAT Bastards? Start carrying Twinkies. If they yell, throw a Twinkie. They'll get distracted and drive off the road.
When I jog I run towards traffic. Some cars like to swerve towards me to scare me. I started carrying a decent size rock or two in my hand. If they swerve I toss the rock up. I don't throw it at the car, I just toss it up in the air. Mass x velocity2...The car runs into the rock that just happened to be floating in air and OOPS.

Chance3290 said:
Did you ever notice that a lot of those who shout at us for being on the road are, to be polite, FAT Bastards? Start carrying Twinkies. If they yell, throw a Twinkie. They'll get distracted and drive off the road.
When I jog I run towards traffic. Some cars like to swerve towards me to scare me. I started carrying a decent size rock or two in my hand. If they swerve I toss the rock up. I don't throw it at the car, I just toss it up in the air. Mass x velocity2...The car runs into the rock that just happened to be floating in air and OOPS.
ya i noticed their fat, & that just spawns jealousy. i would love to carry one of those powerful wrist rockets & launch a rock at the next idiot's car that harrasses me. i guess people have to get killed before the police take this situation seriously. the police seem to be more content in catching speeders then watch cyclists get run over on city streets.

On the quiet, I kind of admired Mike Tyson's reaction to such people. I couldn't be as bad as that as I'm not so aggressive but I would love to see a Tyson type tackle a motorist. He'd probably bite them on the leg.

Chance3290 said:

It's too ****ing ironic. I've been reading this thread over the last two days and even discussed it with my wife this afternoon as she was taking me to a dropoff point to ride a new course.

Right as I started the second of the two big climbs, two cars flew by. I always hug the right stripe so they had plenty of room. The first car gave me a wide berth and beeped his horn twice. I don't know if it was in anger or a greeting--don't much care.

As the second car pulled up to me, I was hit in the back of the head by a fully-loaded Coke can. It exploded when it hit me. Because I was climbing and not going very fast, I was able to keep from crashing, but the car was going so fast, I didn't get the tag number. Had I been descending the hill, I'd have been toast the ******* hit me so hard.

This is the kind of **** that could convert me from an anti-gun citizen into a bazooka-toting vigilante. I've never been so mad in my entire life, and my wife can attest to the fact that I know how to do mad.

Carrera said:
On the quiet, I kind of admired Mike Tyson's reaction to such people. I couldn't be as bad as that as I'm not so aggressive but I would love to see a Tyson type tackle a motorist. He'd probably bite them on the leg.
i'd watch! maybe even spread some barbecue sauce on the idiot's leg, so mike enjoys his dinner more!

rsheard said:
It's too ****ing ironic. I've been reading this thread over the last two days and even discussed it with my wife this afternoon as she was taking me to a dropoff point to ride a new course.

Right as I started the second of the two big climbs, two cars flew by. I always hug the right stripe so they had plenty of room. The first car gave me a wide berth and beeped his horn twice. I don't know if it was in anger or a greeting--don't much care.

As the second car pulled up to me, I was hit in the back of the head by a fully-loaded Coke can. It exploded when it hit me. Because I was climbing and not going very fast, I was able to keep from crashing, but the car was going so fast, I didn't get the tag number. Had I been descending the hill, I'd have been toast the ******* hit me so hard.

This is the kind of **** that could convert me from an anti-gun citizen into a bazooka-toting vigilante. I've never been so mad in my entire life, and my wife can attest to the fact that I know how to do mad.
i had many things thew at me, but they all missed. as i said in a previous post here somewhere, i would love to carry a gun with me on my bike. i swear, i would shoot the ******* that hit me like that & have no problem with that. an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth...

I experience this kind of thing every day. One of the reasons I keep up with my weight training and (possibly boxing) is I'm sure personal conflict and cycling are going to go hand in hand.
What I feel out there these is hatred from people who seem to loathe cyclists. There seems to be some idea that people who ride bikes seriously are out there to be the butt of abuse, derision, scorn and mockery. Myself I'm getting tired of it. Cycling is a more demanding sport than football and it certainly isn't easy to bust your gut in all weathers rather than get fat in front of a T.V.
The female drivers are usually O.K.. They may do stupid things but these are simply mistakes. But other drivers have deliberately tried to ram me off the road or sweep past on the wrong side of a roundabout bleeping a horn.
They say car-drivers suffer from road rage but one of these morons may well find out what cycling rage is all about. I'm beginning to think there's much to be said for the Mike Tyson philosophy.
You can see, just thinking about this gets me mad :mad:

rsheard said:

Sure, I can understand how you feel. Trouble is, it would be you sitting in jail and not the idiot who provoked you.
I did think about some kind of missile system. I mean, paint bombs or something like that that I could hurl. Or even tacks I could scatter in my wake as I ride, to puncture the tyres of the moron behind who might have tried to knock me off on purpose.
No kidding, I can catch some of these drivers. When I'm furious I can hit significant speeds and catch them at lights.

saturnsc2 said:
i had many things thew at me, but they all missed. as i said in a previous post here somewhere, i would love to carry a gun with me on my bike. i swear, i would shoot the ******* that hit me like that & have no problem with that. an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth...

I know this sounds like angry posting but let me give an example of why such anger builds up.
Once I was on a roundabout that was situated on a hill. It was a big roundabout in the country but busy with buses, cars and lorries. I was waiting first in the queue for my right hand side to clear. Suddenly, as the traffic on the right become clear, I pull forward and a lorry behind just drives at me and tries to ram me. We're talking a very, very large lorry as well.
I had to swerve into the middle island of a very busy roundabout and jump off, pulling my bike out of the way. I could have been seriously hurt or hospitalised.
The lorry sped to the right and I could see two drivers laughing.
Had I been able to get my hands on either of them at that particular moment, all self control would have gone out the window.

the bottom line is the best thing to do is guess is to get their plate# i have to start bringing a pen to write with on the road. how many people ride with a pen in their pockets? there's no way i could remember a plate# on the road to write it down when i get home, no way! i think i seen a pen that also is a mace container & that would be the perfect thing. one time a person stopped about 50 feet from me yelling **** at me for what reason i have no idea, & in that situation, i just would squirt them in the face if they approach me. that's the easiest thing to do i think. you guys are right about the fact that it would be us sitting jail. just like in the nfl, then an instigating player starts something with another player, it's usually the one who retaliates that gets caught. i have friends who are police officers & they can look up a plate# for me upon request. once i find out where they live, then i can get my revenge afterhours quietly, effectively, & easily without confrontation. as much as i would love to bash their heads in. once my police friends give me their location, i can spread some glass, nails, ect behind their tires, or anything else, maybe a few scratches in their paint, a brick on the middle of their hood, ect. pick your poison....

The other day it seemed someone tried to knock me off deliberately. I was descending and a car moved past to overtake. Then it swerved towards the curb and I think the intention was to knock me off but I managed to avoid crashing.
Either it was poor driving or it was deliberate.
Whatever it is, these people have an inferiority complex. They're basically too fat and lazy to get off their butt and exercise so they stoop to petty jealousy and target minority groups.

saturnsc2 said:
the bottom line is the best thing to do is guess is to get their plate# i have to start bringing a pen to write with on the road. how many people ride with a pen in their pockets? there's no way i could remember a plate# on the road to write it down when i get home, no way! i think i seen a pen that also is a mace container & that would be the perfect thing. one time a person stopped about 50 feet from me yelling **** at me for what reason i have no idea, & in that situation, i just would squirt them in the face if they approach me. that's the easiest thing to do i think. you guys are right about the fact that it would be us sitting jail. just like in the nfl, then an instigating player starts something with another player, it's usually the one who retaliates that gets caught. i have friends who are police officers & they can look up a plate# for me upon request. once i find out where they live, then i can get my revenge afterhours quietly, effectively, & easily without confrontation. as much as i would love to bash their heads in. once my police friends give me their location, i can spread some glass, nails, ect behind their tires, or anything else, maybe a few scratches in their paint, a brick on the middle of their hood, ect. pick your poison....

Eden said:
Wouldn't that be great revenge.... I think everyone who has ever ridden a bike has run into that kind of jerk. Though I have no second thoughts about riding with traffic my husband and I weren't even on the road the other day - were crossing the street, from a dedicated bike path, in a crosswalk with the walk symbol when some woman yelled stupid f**king bikes out of her car window. It took all of my restraint (at least I think I didn't say it out loud) to not yell back stupid f**king b****.
You really do have to be carefull. There have been several ugly incidents around here. One guy was injured when someone in a passing car snagged him with a jacket that they hung out of a car window. They gave some lame excuse about not realizing they might actually hurt him. Another man ( I seem to remember he was a priest or minister of some sort) was, if I am recalling correctly, killed when a teenager hit him in the back of the head with a baseball bat from a passing vehicle - as if he were a mailbox or something.
Wow. I'm glad I live in Tokyo. Don't get any of that ****, because they know I will catch the dirty bums. Even still, we all come across idiots in cars. Three things - one: carry a whistle, and use a mirror. You can see them coming with the mirror, and the whistle makes them hesitate - usually by which time the dangerous moment has passed. Damned idiots and cars do not mix. Two: remember their number and report them to the police for dangerous driving. Three: lobby government to have police set up a dangerous driver list - so they get their fat arses kicked out of their beloved cars if they get too many different complaints.

Oh yea, and if you find yourself still getting a bit stressed, get a yoga video and chill out that fit and healthy bod of yours.

Damned idiots on bikes are just that. Damned idiots and cars should never be mixed.

Few stories, One funny ones not so funny. On a round trip from meath to Gorey and back and when I was 20 mile or so from gorey, I have 2 bottles of water tipped over me. Nothing said by the people doing it. Its was a hot day so it was sort of welcome. Though it did catch me off guard. When I got to Gorey it was not till i had stopped to get a bite to eat. That one of the girls in the rest stop ask, Im not worried about cycling around wearing a Dublin GAA top in wexford. When the two teams where playing that weekend, lol Sure i totally forgot. Wipped the top off and put on an other one b4 the trip home.

An other time I was heading the out around South Dublin when i had to stop by the side of the road.I was still i a built up area.Had stopped to check my map.And i was right up against the path just b4 a set of lights. when my handle bars where clipped by a passing car. He was on his mobile of all things. Now i was fine the bike was fine. just his wing mirror just glanced off the bar end.I was not a happy camper. But thought nothing more as you never really get to have ur say with thses fools as their gone. Ah round the next bend there where road works and My friend and his mobile where sitting in the line of traffic. waiting for the man with the lollypop to turn it to green. Happy Days Im thinking. My new friend is still on his fone, I knock on his window and asked him did he know he hit my bike down at the other lights. While still talking on his mobile the S.O.B had the balls to mouth of F**k off while waving me off. Well lets say for a few seconds all reason went out the window. Now Im 6'4 and not to easy to upset. But boy did this guy make my blood boil. If I had of got him out side the car I would have to say I would be doing some real big jail time. lol But he had the doors locked. so I did the next best thing. Kicked his wing mirror off using my nice new mtb shoe's. He didnt wait for the green man he speed off. Now I know what I did was totally wrong but enough is enough. I made as much distance from there as my legs would allow.Have to say I did feel great afterwards. But thats here in Ireland where you do not get to many folk with guns. But I'm sure my new friend will give lots of room in future.