At what distance does breathability really become an issue?

acemanhattan

Aug 24, 2012
Hey brand new to the site, looking for some advice.

I recently sold my car and am committed to being a full time bicycle commuter in the Pacific Northwest. I am researching what kind of gear I should get for the winter rides, and I'm curious about at what point breathability becomes an issue.

My typical commute is 6 miles and takes me roughly 25 minutes, is this a short enough of a distance that it would be overkill to buy an expensive waterproof jacket like the showers pass elite 2.0 because of its breathability, or would that be preferable?

Thanks for the input.

acemanhattan said:
Hey brand new to the site, looking for some advice. I recently sold my car and am committed to being a full time bicycle commuter in the Pacific Northwest.  I am researching what kind of gear I should get for the winter rides, and I'm curious about at what point breathability becomes an issue. My typical commute is 6 miles and takes me roughly 25 minutes, is this a short enough of a distance that it would be overkill to buy an expensive waterproof jacket like the showers pass elite 2.0 because of its breathability, or would that be preferable? Thanks for the input.
It entirely depends on your comfort, how you sweat, how you ride, and the environmental conditions. Have you worn any WP/B stuff?

I haven't worn them recently enough to remember how my body responds. IMy goal is pretty much to get from point a to b in the fastest time possible, so assume I will be ATTEMPTING to ride fast; in terms of environmental conditions I live in Portland, Oregon, so typical riding conditions will probably be 35 degrees and wet.

This will all be with a mind toward comfort on the bike because I can shower and change when I arrive at my destination, if that matters.

If fastest possible is the goal, then I'd definitely consider getting WP/B stuff. You might also want to look at some soft-shell/microfiber stuff. Some of that stuff breathes a lot better than WP/B coatings or laminates and will handle rain up to but maybe not including deluges.

FWIW. IMO, you will more-than-likely want outerwear which IS breathable ...

• 'I' would rather wear a 60/40, 65/35, Ultratex/etc. shell ([COLOR= #0000ff]backpacker & XC 'stuff'[/COLOR]) which is breathable & has a tight enough weave that it will be water repellent than something that is 100% "waterproof" ([COLOR= #ff0000]and, doesn't breath[/COLOR]) unless you opt for a GoreTex-or-equivalent garment (which will be heavier & which is inherently stiff)
  • the BASE layer will probably be more important to prevent hypothermia and/or to provide comfort
  • if you are going to economize, then the "wind" pants you wear over your regular pants are possibly where you don't have to worry about breathability

YOU definitely want to put fenders on your bike, BTW.

Don't forget lights.

Stop in at your local REI & see what they have.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Both of you have commented on going for more of a soft shell that is breathable than a straight rain shell. Any suggestion of a brand or a specific jacket that you've had good experience with or have heard good things about? Also, how would you gauge what amount of rain is too much for those kind of jackets. I am in Portland Oregon, and I feel like it rains/drizzles almost always, although I'm not sure that it gets torrential all that often.

Well, since you mentioned Showers Pass, you should take a look at their waterproof soft-shell, the Portland. REI, Outdoor Research........just about any outdoor company will have some options.

Originally Posted by acemanhattan .

I recently sold my car and am committed to being a full time bicycle commuter in the Pacific Northwest. I am researching what kind of gear I should get for the winter rides, and I'm curious about at what point breathability becomes an issue.

My typical commute is 6 miles and takes me roughly 25 minutes, is this a short enough of a distance that it would be overkill to buy an expensive waterproof jacket like the showers pass elite 2.0 because of its breathability, or would that be preferable?

Thanks for the input.
It only becomes an issue when you sweat too much. If you don't mind end up sweating then it's not an issue... But if you're out training for hours, sweating excessively is bad. If you're comuting then sweating excessively can be a pain - requiring a shower when you get to work (if there are facilities for that)...

I'd just make the ride with the gear that you have and see what happens. Consider riding a little slower...

But in general, if you're really doing to comute on a regular basis then the good gear is the way to go. Not only do better garments 'work better' the also tend to last longer too - so in the long run it's not really an extra expense.

My typical commute is 6 miles and takes me roughly 25 minutes,
I once walked 2 miles... to and from work for over a year. In the very hot summer I wore a tee shirt and jeans. In the spring and fall I wore a Army Surplus field jacket. In the sometimes sub-zero winter months I installed the button-in winter liner in the field jacket (which is really a coat). I never wore a hat (field jackets had a built in hood) but I did have gloves in the winter months.

Sometimes I got hot and sweaty, sometimes I was soaked to the bone wet.... or chilled to the bone cold. Unlike when driving in a climate controlled car... I learned to expect to feel the weather. And I loved it. The only time I felt truly unprepared for the weather was when I was once caught in a hail storm. I thought I was going to be beaten to death before I got to shelter.

Thanks for the input.
It depends on the prevailing weather conditions in your location - and it depends on your resolve to keep commuting regardless of the weather conditions.

If it rains a lot where you are based (and it does rain a lot where I am based), a waterproof breathable jacket is a good investment.

In terms of what distance does breathability become an issue? I would say it is a very individual thing. Giving the exact same effort for riding a specific distance, some people will perspire more than others.
If you find that you're perspiring cycling at say 15mph, you may perspire less by cycling at say 13mph instead.

Fair play to you from switching from using your car to using your bike btw.

Thanks for all the replies so far gang.

The more I read and research it seems to me that there isn't a miracle rain jacket so either you are going to get wet from the inside or wet from the outside. Sounds as if it is a judgment call which decides whether you're more likely to get wet from the inside or from the outside based on the weather.

Any pacific Northwest riders here that have enough experience to say whether going with a water resistant jacket is a better option, or does it rain too much for that to be a good choice?

These below are fantastic, discreet and essential garments for the concerned commuter: /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

And another sleeveless choice for those relaxing summer rides on the beach: /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I had also seen a see-through one, but maybe it was'nt, erhmmm, "waterproof" enough so they stopped selling it! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

If its really really really raining a nylon "breathable and waterproof" jacket would be good. You can check at the hiking stuff for one, which has a hood that you can put under the helmet. If its cold too a full softshell jacket of 2 or 1 layers, or a combination of an underlayer and a "breathable and waterproof" overlayer would probably also do the trick.

If its not raining that much but its only this really fine rain then just a plain fleece or softshell jacket would be fine. Maybe the softshell is a bit more waterproof.

Nylon garments are unhealthy they say because of their bad breathability. But they have good thermal insulation properties and are also waterproof. They are also lighter then cotton and leather.

You might want to check for some "stain repellent" or "rainproof" pants. I saw some cotton ones which are advertised as so. They are not waterproof, but when new they did'nt soak up that much. They are also normal pants so you wont look like the "Black swan" ballet cast. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

I think you're asking if you need a quality rain suit, not whether or not it should be breathable.

Even just 25 minutes in cold rain would be hard for most people, some people can tough it out in wool jersey. Not me. Cold rain is colder than a below freezing sunny day.

Unless you're one of those guys who wears shorts and sandals in freezing weather, you definitely need a jacket, not necessarily breathable. The Helly Hanson Workwear line is waterproof, not breathable rain gear. More waterproof than most GoreTex jackets that I've tried at less than half the price. I would get rain pants too and Sealskin socks.

I live about 3000 from Pacific Northwest but I hear it rains a lot there. I wouldn't use a softshell or a 'water resistant' jacket when it's coming down hard. I have a serious rain jacket, a lightweight rain resistant jacket, and a wind breaker. I dress depending on conditions. I never need an insulated coat for commuting here in the Southeast. I think the serious rain jacket is most important. You should have one of those. Waterproof breathable makes nice jacket on cold dry days too. My wind breaker is an old WB jacket that isn't very waterproof anymore.