attitude gets bad

bryanquinn

Jan 19, 2004
After about three or four days of riding in a row my attitude seems to get bad and my sleep pattern seems to change. I have trouble getting to sleep and I don't get a restfull nights sleep when I do get to sleep.
Am I missing some kind of supplement in my diet or something?
I've thought that maybe I've been overtraining, but I don't think I'm putting in all that many miles. I'm commuting 16 miles a day 3 to 4 times a week and riding about 30 miles on either Sat. or Sun. In Florida.
Week end ride is at about 85% max H.R. (I haven't calculated my L.T. yet).
My commute during the week is usually around 65% max H.R.
I've increased my protien intake to about 75 to 90 grams a day (using a powdered egg protien to supplement).
I use Endurox R4 after each ride and make sure I get plenty of water. Maybe too much at times.
I have noticed improvement in my strength and stamina this time around.
Meaning I've been off of the bike for a while.
I've logged around 300 mi in the last 5 weeks.
Thanks for any feeedback,
Bryan

bryanquinn said:
After about three or four days of riding in a row my attitude seems to get bad and my sleep pattern seems to change. I have trouble getting to sleep and I don't get a restfull nights sleep when I do get to sleep.
I've thought that maybe I've been overtraining, but I don't think I'm putting in all that many miles. I'm commuting 16 miles a day 3 to 4 times a week and riding about 30 miles on either Sat. or Sun. In Florida.
I've increased my protien intake to about 75 to 90 grams a day (using a powdered egg protien to supplement).
I use Endurox R4 after each ride and make sure I get plenty of water. Maybe too much at times.
Bryan

Could be wrong on this one, but I read in one of Carmichael's training books that overtraining can be indicated by an overly high resting heart rate. So for example, if it's normally 60 bpm first thing in the morning and after a couple days of riding it's 75, then that's a likely indicator of overtraining.

jeo said:
Could be wrong on this one, but I read in one of Carmichael's training books that overtraining can be indicated by an overly high resting heart rate. So for example, if it's normally 60 bpm first thing in the morning and after a couple days of riding it's 75, then that's a likely indicator of overtraining.

with overtraining your HR can stay the same, increase or decrease. The only way to tell if you are overtrained is if you have a continuous and unexplained decrease in performance. Overtraining is sometimes referred to as Unexplained Under Performance Syndrome

Ric

bryanquinn said:
Bryan

Bryan, you don't state how much you weigh, so it's impossible to know whether 90 g of protein/day is sufficient. However, unless you eat a strange diet or one that is very restrictive (in terms of energy input, i.e., you are losing lots of weight) it's unlikely you are not eating sufficient protein.

Most likely, in terms of diet you're probably not eating enough 'good' carbohydrates, such as pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, grains, cous cous, etc.

it looks like you're riding around 6 or 7 hours a week at a guess? You'd likely need around 5 - 7 g of carbohydrate per kg body mass per day, depending on intensity, and actual ride times.

You may also need to build up your riding more gradually so that you do 3 days in a row (rather than 4) have a day off and then ride again.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
Bryan, you don't state how much you weigh, so it's impossible to know whether 90 g of protein/day is sufficient. However, unless you eat a strange diet or one that is very restrictive (in terms of energy input, i.e., you are losing lots of weight) it's unlikely you are not eating sufficient protein.

Most likely, in terms of diet you're probably not eating enough 'good' carbohydrates, such as pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, grains, cous cous, etc.

it looks like you're riding around 6 or 7 hours a week at a guess? You'd likely need around 5 - 7 g of carbohydrate per kg body mass per day, depending on intensity, and actual ride times.

You may also need to build up your riding more gradually so that you do 3 days in a row (rather than 4) have a day off and then ride again.

Ric

Hi Rick,
I weigh around 145 lbs.
My performance does not seem to decrease during these times in fact I feel strong. When I take a day off my attitude does get better though.
You may be right about needing to build up to the amount of days.
This problem occurs after riding say 30mi on Sunday, then after commuting to work on Monday 16mi. Then I take Tuesday off the bike compleately, then resume at a moderate pace on Wed. Try to go easy Thurs. & Fri. (maybe skip one of these days also some times) so I am fresh for my
Intense or long ride on the weekend.
Am I riding at too intense a pace on my long day? (85%max on this day).
Today I rode more closely to 65 to 75% max and spun at around 105 to 110rpms. I did some short distances at 85 to 90% max because I felt like I was going really slow. Also I thought it would be good to kick it up a notch for good measure. I felt kind of strange at on point? I felt like I was having heart palpatations but it lasted longer than I am used to. It was during one of those higher HR times. I've felt o.k. for the rest of the day so I'm thinking it could have been just one of those weired things that happen. I had a cardiac workup 5 years ago at 40 and nothing came up wrong.
Do you think I should get another one? or is 5 years ago o.k.
Thanks for your feed back,
Bryan

Hi Bryan. I read your initial query at the top of this thread and identify with it in a couple of ways. First, you say you have trouble sleeping at night and feel down. Well, this definitely sounds like overtraining, except that you don't seem to be pushing yourself hard enough to overtrain, thank goodness.
I experience sinilar symptoms, and I only ride about 25 miles/week (2-3miles everyday commute to work, plus a little extra). If I ride 30-25 minutes on my day off, at 105 rpm, but not too hard/fast (I don't know how to gauge my max, but I would say it is 60% at best), I can end up feeling terrible, and not able to sleep for 2-3 days peacefully. I have not been able to figure this out for a couple of years, and no one I speak to understands what I am saying. But I came across last week several articles on Restless Legs Syndrome, where one has a creep-crawly feeling in the legs, and has a lot of trouble sleeping, and is depressed, irritated by these symptoms, as the legs don't feel relaxed. And yes, riding or running helps one to feel better. It is when off the bike that one feels bad. And, while sleeping, the person with RLS will often jerk his body, esepcially legs, in the middle of the night.

Your symptoms might be caused, as the others say, by not building up gradually enough. When I used to ride more (250-300 miles/week), I was better off, but that was 4 years ago. NOw I work so much, stand up all day, and do not have the chance to ride leisurely enough. I am 33, by the way. I weigh 135.

One more thing. I have a theory that the simple action of spinning at high rpms could cause some of the malaise. For example, my ride last week of 30 minutes easygoing, at 105-112 rpm most of the way, it shipped me downriver. I felt an awful creepy-crawly spinning sensation in my legs for the 2 days following. Whenever I have symptoms related to this, I feel as if the muscles in my legs, the very muscle cells, their cytoplasm, everything, is sort of churning and churning at high speeds for at least 36 hours afterwards, because our cells are simply not used to powering such prolonged spinning on a bike - it is not natural. Our legs internalize the external pressures we force them into, and our deepest, most basic cells suffer, and so we suffer from it.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I believe there could be truth. Maybe building up slowly to faster spinning, or riding, is the key, more for us than for some people. And yes, I do stretch a lot, and drink enough water, recovery drinks, etc. So I really believe it is something like RLS or similar causing your problem. There are medications for RLS, or other treatments. it is a possible path to explore for you.

GOod luck.

gabe

bryanquinn said:
Hi Rick,
I weigh around 145 lbs.
My performance does not seem to decrease during these times in fact I feel strong. When I take a day off my attitude does get better though.
You may be right about needing to build up to the amount of days.
This problem occurs after riding say 30mi on Sunday, then after commuting to work on Monday 16mi. Then I take Tuesday off the bike compleately, then resume at a moderate pace on Wed. Try to go easy Thurs. & Fri. (maybe skip one of these days also some times) so I am fresh for my
Intense or long ride on the weekend.
Am I riding at too intense a pace on my long day? (85%max on this day).
Today I rode more closely to 65 to 75% max and spun at around 105 to 110rpms. I did some short distances at 85 to 90% max because I felt like I was going really slow. Also I thought it would be good to kick it up a notch for good measure. I felt kind of strange at on point? I felt like I was having heart palpatations but it lasted longer than I am used to. It was during one of those higher HR times. I've felt o.k. for the rest of the day so I'm thinking it could have been just one of those weired things that happen. I had a cardiac workup 5 years ago at 40 and nothing came up wrong.
Do you think I should get another one? or is 5 years ago o.k.
Thanks for your feed back,
Bryan​

bryanquinn said:
Bryan
Bryan - You don't mention what your rest schedule is. Rest days are the most important part of any training protocol. I usually do 3 days on then 1 day off. It helps with my mental abilities. It helps keep my attitude inline. :)

Rideastrong said:
Bryan - You don't mention what your rest schedule is. Rest days are the most important part of any training protocol. I usually do 3 days on then 1 day off. It helps with my mental abilities. It helps keep my attitude inline. :)

Hi,
Thanks for responding to my post. I think I will be cutting back to two days hard one day rest. Then a long ride on the week end. I've been ill for about five days now so I will have around two weeks of recovery to go through. I've been reading Joe Friels book. "The Cyclists Train ing Bible".
There are alot of good tips in there.
Bryan

bryanquinn said:
Hi,
Thanks for responding to my post. I think I will be cutting back to two days hard one day rest. Then a long ride on the week end. I've been ill for about five days now so I will have around two weeks of recovery to go through. I've been reading Joe Friels book. "The Cyclists Train ing Bible".
There are alot of good tips in there.
Bryan
If i recall correclty Freil is a big proponent of rest. make your rest days count. Always remember you can't get stronger unless you body has time/nutrients to repair itself. Good luck.