Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bad Weld/ Frame Replacement Claim...Valid?

Started by Franz Bestuchev · · Last activity · 90 posts · 2,953 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 March 2006
Last activity
7 April 2006
Original author
Franz Bestuchev
Posts
90
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,953
Views / 30 days
41

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–90 of 90
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ozark Bicycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    You're bitter about something.

    I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.

    I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    bikes. What was it? If you let it go instead of hiding your shame
    you'll feel alot better.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  2. Dr. Phil' Tomlinson said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:
    Quoted message said:

    You're bitter about something.

    I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.

    I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    bikes. What was it?

    You tell me, "doctor". What was it?

    Quoted message said:

    If you let it go instead of hiding your shame
    you'll feel alot better.

    Gawd, you really are an [censored], aren't you? Do you work at it, or does
    it just come naturally?

  3. Ozark Bicycle said:


    Dr. Phil' Tomlinson said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    > You're bitter about something.

    I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.

    I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    bikes. What was it?

    You tell me, "doctor". What was it?

    Discounting the quality of some bikes because they are heavily
    marketed. Why? Why the bitterness? I'm assuming it's something you
    feel is embarrassing, but you should just let it go.

    No one's perfect. Everyone's ignorant about some things and not good
    at some things. Rather than letting it eat you up, just let it out.

    To use an example you know about,I don't know much about cars. No
    shame in that, though you seem to mock that. If you are ignorant about
    something or bad at doing something, don't mock other people who are
    better at it than you. Either change it or let it go. But in any
    case, let it out. At least admit it to yourself if you can't do it
    publicly.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  4. John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:


    Dr. Phil' Tomlinson said:

    On 3 Apr 2006 19:20:12 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >> You're bitter about something.
    >
    >I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.

    I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    bikes. What was it?

    You tell me, "doctor". What was it?

    Discounting the quality of some bikes because they are heavily
    marketed. Why?

    I don't discount the quality of a product because it is heavily
    marketed, but I do call a spade a spade when a company throws alot of
    marketing BS around (e.g., Specialized and the Zertz BS) to sell
    something that is basically pure hype and drivel.

    Quoted message said:

    Why the bitterness?

    I'm really not bitter, "Dr. Phil". In fact, I quite enjoy my life; I
    make a living doing something I enjoy, have a great family and a
    wonderful SO. I'm my own boss, have a flexible schedule, get to ride my
    bike alot and live in a beautiful area with a climate that makes that
    possible. How's your life, "Dr. Phil"? Is a lot of this stuff just you
    projecting your misery on other people?

    I will plead guilty to having a low tolerance for BS, though.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm assuming it's something you
    feel is embarrassing, but you should just let it go.

    Yep, you're assuming. And you're the perfect ass.

    Quoted message said:

    No one's perfect. Everyone's ignorant about some things and not good
    at some things. Rather than letting it eat you up, just let it out.

    To use an example you know about,I don't know much about cars. No
    shame in that, though you seem to mock that. If you are ignorant about
    something or bad at doing something, don't mock other people who are
    better at it than you. Either change it or let it go. But in any
    case, let it out. At least admit it to yourself if you can't do it
    publicly.

    Now, here you've lost me in two paragraphs of vague, speculative BS.
    WTF are you trying to get at?

  5. Ozark Bicycle said:

    WTF are you trying to get at?

    As I've said -- your shame and bitterness.

    Here's an example:

    Quoted message said:

    viciously over-priced
    (What a surprise! Who do you think pays for that advertising campaign?)

    "Viciously"?

    It's just bike lube. Sure you can get cheaper stuff (I use the
    mineral spirts + motor oild approah you mentioned myself). Sure it's
    overpriced -- but vicious refers to dogs, or murders or maybe the
    widespread lack of healthcare, but, not paying a couple extra bucks
    for something. You've got some issues with money or marketing.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. Dr. Phil' Tomlinson said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    WTF are you trying to get at?

    As I've said -- your shame and bitterness.

    Tell me more, "Doctor"! Oh, and where did you get that degree? Was it
    Phoenix University Online? Or In Your Dreams U?

  7. Ozark Bicycle said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:


    "Dr. Phil" Tomlinson wrote:
    > On 3 Apr 2006 19:20:12 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>> You're bitter about something.
    >>
    >> I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.
    >
    > I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    > bikes. What was it?

    You tell me, "doctor". What was it?

    Discounting the quality of some bikes because they are heavily
    marketed. Why?

    I don't discount the quality of a product because it is heavily
    marketed, but I do call a spade a spade when a company throws alot of
    marketing BS around (e.g., Specialized and the Zertz BS) to sell
    something that is basically pure hype and drivel.

    How do you know?
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. Phil said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    On 4 Apr 2006 05:26:51 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >
    > "Dr. Phil" Tomlinson wrote:
    >> On 3 Apr 2006 19:20:12 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    >> <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>> You're bitter about something.
    >>>
    >>> I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.
    >>
    >> I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    >> bikes. What was it?
    >
    > You tell me, "doctor". What was it?

    Discounting the quality of some bikes because they are heavily
    marketed. Why?

    I don't discount the quality of a product because it is heavily
    marketed, but I do call a spade a spade when a company throws alot of
    marketing BS around (e.g., Specialized and the Zertz BS) to sell
    something that is basically pure hype and drivel.

    How do you know?

    Could you be a bit more specific, Phil?

  9. Ozark Bicycle said:
    Phil said:
    Ozark Bicycle said:

    John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
    > On 4 Apr 2006 05:26:51 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Dr. Phil" Tomlinson wrote:
    >>> On 3 Apr 2006 19:20:12 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    >>> <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>> You're bitter about something.
    >>>>
    >>>> I don't suffer [censored] gladly; hence my attitude toward you.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not talking about your attitude toward me but toward a lot of
    >>> bikes. What was it?
    >>
    >> You tell me, "doctor". What was it?
    >
    > Discounting the quality of some bikes because they are heavily
    > marketed. Why?

    I don't discount the quality of a product because it is heavily
    marketed, but I do call a spade a spade when a company throws alot
    of marketing BS around (e.g., Specialized and the Zertz BS) to sell
    something that is basically pure hype and drivel.

    How do you know?

    Could you be a bit more specific, Phil?

    I'm asking if you can prove that the "marketing BS" is "pure hype and
    drivel." I know I can't prove it to be true, but I'm curious if the
    opposite can be. BTW, I don't have a test rig or anything... I was curious
    if you've conducted tests or something.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Tim McNamara said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Franz Bestuchev said:
    Jeff Starr said:

    On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:50:27 -0500, Tim McNamara
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > In article <[email hidden]>, Franz Bestuchev
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> A welder friend of mine spotted this hole in the weld on my
    >> frame, I'm about to take it to the Trek dealer to get it
    >> evaluated. Is this a valid claim?
    >>
    >> http://www.userealsugar.com/lemond_weld/
    > Well, since we can't see the picture anymore, who knows? And I am
    > not sure that *anyone* could tell if a pinhole in a weld is of
    > concern from a photo. Take it in to the dealer and see what they
    > say- you've got nothing to lose except some time.
    I think looking at the photo, you could tell that it wasn't an
    issue. It is strictly cosmetic. From the photo, it could be a spec
    of dirt or a pinhole. Either way, not a structural concern.

    Life is Good! Jeff


    http://www.userealsugar.com/lemond_weld/weld.jpg

    A spot of dirt would rub off and I wouldn't have posted about that.
    It's a small hole in the joint.

    That's better. Looks like a hole. Question is whether it's a hole in
    the weld or just a hole in the paint; and if it's a hole in the weld,
    whether it is significant. Can you stick some kind of probe, like a
    dental pick, into it any significant distance? If it's just a hole in
    the paint, e.g., a bubble, then no problem. I'd expect in that case
    that you couldn't insert the probe more than the thickness of the paint.
    If it goes in deeper, I'd have a chat with the local dealer about it.

    I took a very fine syringe and did some probing around. Sort of as I
    (and numerous other suspected) it's a pretty shallow hole...so I'll have
    to locate some yellow paint and just cover it over.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.