badens wheels

rayner

New Member
Nov 1, 2003
Hi, just wondering if any who'd been to the sun tour would be able to identify baden cookes wheels from the criteriums for curiosities sake? There was talk that shimano were bringing out a deep dish carbon model soon and I was just wondering if they were them or something completely different. I realise that no one will probably be able to answer this but thanks anyway. Isn't big Karlos going well, makes the last road season a little less painfull.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/oct04/suntour04/index.php?id=stage2/199mensroadschoolies

"rayner" <[email protected]> wrote
> Hi, just wondering if any who'd been to the sun tour would be able to
> identify baden cookes wheels from the criteriums for curiosities sake?
> There was talk that shimano were bringing out a deep dish carbon model
> soon and I was just wondering if they were them or something completely
> different. I realise that no one will probably be able to answer this
> but thanks anyway. Isn't big Karlos going well, makes the last road
> season a little less painfull.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/oct04/suntour04/index.php?id=stage2/1
99mensroadschoolies

Better shot:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/oct04/suntour04/index.php?id=stage1/9
975mensroadbcooke

If he normally rides Shimano, here and here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2003/probikes/?id=Lapierre_Cooke
http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/racing/fdjeaux_c
om.html
then my guess is these wheels aren't Shimano, otherwise they
would have Shimano all over them, unless the big S wants to
keep prototypes under wraps for now?

I'm "guessing" he's using wheels from a rival sponor - no labels.

hippy

hippy said:
"rayner" <[email protected]> wrote
> Hi, just wondering if any who'd been to the sun tour would be able to
> identify baden cookes wheels from the criteriums for curiosities sake?
> There was talk that shimano were bringing out a deep dish carbon model
> soon and I was just wondering if they were them or something completely
> different. I realise that no one will probably be able to answer this
> but thanks anyway. Isn't big Karlos going well, makes the last road
> season a little less painfull.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/oct04/suntour04/index.php?id=stage2/1
99mensroadschoolies

Better shot:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/oct04/suntour04/index.php?id=stage1/9
975mensroadbcooke

If he normally rides Shimano, here and here:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2003/probikes/?id=Lapierre_Cooke
http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/racing/fdjeaux_c
om.html
then my guess is these wheels aren't Shimano, otherwise they
would have Shimano all over them, unless the big S wants to
keep prototypes under wraps for now?

I'm "guessing" he's using wheels from a rival sponor - no labels.

hippy
thanks hippy. I think my moneys still on shimano. Too many spokes for just about anything else. If they are prototypes it would make sense not to have advertising on them if they buckled underneath him, great publicity that would be! How long do you think Karl will last in yellow?

rayner said:
thanks hippy. I think my moneys still on shimano. Too many spokes for just about anything else. If they are prototypes it would make sense not to have advertising on them if they buckled underneath him, great publicity that would be! How long do you think Karl will last in yellow?
I'm not sure if they're Shimano or not, but they look like the mystery prototypes that Jan had at the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/tech/?id=ullrich-bike

"rayner" <[email protected]> wrote
> thanks hippy. I think my moneys still on shimano. Too many spokes for
> just about anything else. If they are prototypes it would make sense
> not to have advertising on them if they buckled underneath him, great
> publicity that would be! How long do you think Karl will last in
> yellow?

Shimano already has branded carbon wheels:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13/WH-7800-carbon2
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13/WH-7800-carbon-
rim
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13/WH-7800-carbon-
hub
http://bike.shimano.com/Wheels/Wheels_-_Road/componenttemplate.asp?partnumbe
r=WH-7701-C
and Baden's look different to these.

Karl in yellow?
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/tour2004/story_page/0,9957,11094186%5E140
00,00.html

hippy

hippy said:
"B.T." <[email protected]> wrote
> I'm not sure if they're Shimano or not, but they look like the mystery
> prototypes that Jan had at the Tour.
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/tech/?id=ullrich-bike

I knew I'd seen similar wheels before...
but these ones have black hubs, Baden's seem silver?

hippy

was going to say that they might be old campag boras from the telekom stockpile but the hubs look wrong. Be buggered if I know what they are. Looks like Karls stuffed now, he'll be vulnerable against the genuine climbers simply because of the size of him. Thanks for the replies guys.

"B.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> rayner Wrote:
> > was going to say that they might be old campag boras from the telekom
> > stockpile but the hubs look wrong. Be buggered if I know what they are.
> > Looks like Karls stuffed now, he'll be vulnerable against the genuine
> > climbers simply because of the size of him. Thanks for the replies
> > guys.

> Mystery Solved! :D
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4csw6

Nah, lightweights don't use stainless steel spokes, they use some sort of
composite fibre. The ones shown on
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/tech/?id=ullrich-bike look like
they have SS spokes to me...(they look like Campy Boras)
Different wheels altogether (although the rims might be the same?)
Gemma

"Gemma Kernich" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "B.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> rayner Wrote:
>> > was going to say that they might be old campag boras from the
>> > telekom stockpile but the hubs look wrong. Be buggered if I know
>> > what they are. Looks like Karls stuffed now, he'll be vulnerable
>> > against the genuine climbers simply because of the size of him.
>> > Thanks for the replies guys.

>> Mystery Solved! :D
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4csw6

> Nah, lightweights don't use stainless steel spokes, they use some
> sort of composite fibre. The ones shown on
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/tech/?id=ullrich-bike look
> like they have SS spokes to me...(they look like Campy Boras)
> Different wheels altogether (although the rims might be the same?)
> Gemma

Ah yes, those wheels gave us lots of fun. They're Corimas, we think, but
there are probably a couple of references still lingering in that piece to
them being Lightweights because that's what we were told by T-Mobile's
mechanics. We went 'Hang on, Lightweight doesn't make anything with steel
spokes' and it was then confirmed by Lightweight that they weren't
Lightweights, at which point we banged our heads gently on our desks,
removed the easily-found references to Lightweight and went off to do
something more rewarding like herd cats.

To keep things nice and confusing, Ullrich does use Lightweights too - you
can see them on some of his climbing and TT bikes. I'm pretty sure the rear
wheel he's using here is a Lightweight:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour04.php?id=photos/2004/tour04/stage16/ULRICH

Note the very large hub flanges. The wheels on Kloeden's bike in that stage
also appear to be Lightweights.