Barrel Adjuster - Self Adjusting

Jeff Starr

Guest
Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
2 turns away from being completely screwed all the way in.

What is causing it to turn on its own? And what is the fix for this?
It is the second adjuster, I have installed. The first time I thought
the adjuster was bad, that it wasn't turning out. I know this one is
turning, as I can see the inner piece, move outward. I had greased the
threads, when I installed it, was that a mistake?

Now that I know what it is, it is easy to check, but I would prefer to
remedy the problem.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Clean off the grease with kerosene. Then use pipe sealing tape, if
necessary.

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:46:13 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
>way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
>down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
>had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
>2 turns away from being completely screwed all the way in.
>
> What is causing it to turn on its own? And what is the fix for this?
>It is the second adjuster, I have installed. The first time I thought
>the adjuster was bad, that it wasn't turning out. I know this one is
>turning, as I can see the inner piece, move outward. I had greased the
>threads, when I installed it, was that a mistake?
>
>Now that I know what it is, it is easy to check, but I would prefer to
>remedy the problem.
>

>Life is Good!
>Jeff

Just a guess but could the movement of the cable housing be moving it?
What about grease or oil on the cable ferrule where it sits in the
adjuster?

jeff-<< Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
2 turns away from being completely >><BR><BR>

Start with it all the way screwed in and keep it that way. This barrel adjust
just isn't needed if the front der is adjusted properly. The movement of the
der housing is causing it to screw in.
If still a problem, replace it with Campagnolo ones that have a stiffer spring
to hold them in place.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 07 Oct 2004 12:52:22 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>jeff-<< Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
>way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
>down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
>had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
>2 turns away from being completely >><BR><BR>
>
>Start with it all the way screwed in and keep it that way. This barrel adjust
>just isn't needed if the front der is adjusted properly. The movement of the
>der housing is causing it to screw in.
>If still a problem, replace it with Campagnolo ones that have a stiffer spring
>to hold them in place.
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria

Peter, it is the barrel adjuster on the down tube, where downtube
shifters used to be mounted. It is the only adjuster to do fine
tuning. The cable w/housing leaves the shifter and its next stop is
this barrel adjuster. From there it is bare cable going under the
bottom bracket, to the derailleur itself.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Hi Jeff, Peter's last post was right on.
Easiest. and cheapest way out will be to just screw this adjuster all
the way in, loosen Cable Clamp Screw on F Derailleur, and pull slack out
of cable. re-tighten Cable Clamp Screw, and just insure that your
Derailleur in, and out stops are adjusted correctly. This should do it.

Apparently, Shimano has a weak spot with these?, as the Campy Adjusters
on both my bikes (Both the cheaper Black Plastic ones, and the Aluminum
Record Units) never budge.
Mark

Jeff-<< Peter, it is the barrel adjuster on the down tube, where downtube
shifters used to be mounted. It is the only adjuster to do fine
tuning. The cable w/housing leaves the shifter and its next stop is
this barrel adjuster. From there it is bare cable going under the
bottom bracket, to the derailleur itself. >><BR><BR>

Yep, I know what you are talking about. Front ders on shimano systems rely on
an accurate starting position, acheived with the limit screws, not the barrel
adjuster. By tightening the barrel adjuster, if the inner wire is tight,
changes the start postion of the front der, which changes the shifting
performance and clearances.

There is no need to much with the barrel adjuster, just start position, then
clearances as the front der moves the chain up and down the chainrings.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302