Barrel Adjuster - Self Adjusting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff Starr, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
    way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
    down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
    had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
    2 turns away from being completely screwed all the way in.

    What is causing it to turn on its own? And what is the fix for this?
    It is the second adjuster, I have installed. The first time I thought
    the adjuster was bad, that it wasn't turning out. I know this one is
    turning, as I can see the inner piece, move outward. I had greased the
    threads, when I installed it, was that a mistake?

    Now that I know what it is, it is easy to check, but I would prefer to
    remedy the problem.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

    Tags:

  2. Clean off the grease with kerosene. Then use pipe sealing tape, if
    necessary.

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:46:13 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
    >way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
    >down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
    >had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
    >2 turns away from being completely screwed all the way in.
    >
    > What is causing it to turn on its own? And what is the fix for this?
    >It is the second adjuster, I have installed. The first time I thought
    >the adjuster was bad, that it wasn't turning out. I know this one is
    >turning, as I can see the inner piece, move outward. I had greased the
    >threads, when I installed it, was that a mistake?
    >
    >Now that I know what it is, it is easy to check, but I would prefer to
    >remedy the problem.
    >

    >Life is Good!
    >Jeff

    Just a guess but could the movement of the cable housing be moving it?
    What about grease or oil on the cable ferrule where it sits in the
    adjuster?

  4. jeff-<< Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
    way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
    down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
    had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
    2 turns away from being completely >><BR><BR>

    Start with it all the way screwed in and keep it that way. This barrel adjust
    just isn't needed if the front der is adjusted properly. The movement of the
    der housing is causing it to screw in.
    If still a problem, replace it with Campagnolo ones that have a stiffer spring
    to hold them in place.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  5. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On 07 Oct 2004 12:52:22 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    >jeff-<< Hi, my front DA triple derailleur has been going out of adjustment,
    >way too often. I finally figured out that the barrel adjuster on the
    >down tube, is loosening, on its own. I had counted the turns, and I
    >had it out 7 quarter turns. On a ride today, I checked it, and it was
    >2 turns away from being completely >><BR><BR>
    >
    >Start with it all the way screwed in and keep it that way. This barrel adjust
    >just isn't needed if the front der is adjusted properly. The movement of the
    >der housing is causing it to screw in.
    >If still a problem, replace it with Campagnolo ones that have a stiffer spring
    >to hold them in place.
    >
    >Peter Chisholm
    >Vecchio's Bicicletteria

    Peter, it is the barrel adjuster on the down tube, where downtube
    shifters used to be mounted. It is the only adjuster to do fine
    tuning. The cable w/housing leaves the shifter and its next stop is
    this barrel adjuster. From there it is bare cable going under the
    bottom bracket, to the derailleur itself.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  6. Mark D

    Mark D Guest

    Hi Jeff, Peter's last post was right on.
    Easiest. and cheapest way out will be to just screw this adjuster all
    the way in, loosen Cable Clamp Screw on F Derailleur, and pull slack out
    of cable. re-tighten Cable Clamp Screw, and just insure that your
    Derailleur in, and out stops are adjusted correctly. This should do it.

    Apparently, Shimano has a weak spot with these?, as the Campy Adjusters
    on both my bikes (Both the cheaper Black Plastic ones, and the Aluminum
    Record Units) never budge.
    Mark

  7. Jeff-<< Peter, it is the barrel adjuster on the down tube, where downtube
    shifters used to be mounted. It is the only adjuster to do fine
    tuning. The cable w/housing leaves the shifter and its next stop is
    this barrel adjuster. From there it is bare cable going under the
    bottom bracket, to the derailleur itself. >><BR><BR>

    Yep, I know what you are talking about. Front ders on shimano systems rely on
    an accurate starting position, acheived with the limit screws, not the barrel
    adjuster. By tightening the barrel adjuster, if the inner wire is tight,
    changes the start postion of the front der, which changes the shifting
    performance and clearances.

    There is no need to much with the barrel adjuster, just start position, then
    clearances as the front der moves the chain up and down the chainrings.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302