BB for Stronglight 106 cranks

Benjamin Weiner

Guest
I have a set of Stronglight model 106 cranks - at least that's what I think. 144mm BCD, relief down
the crank arm and on the spider arms, "106" by the pedal eye, standard 22mm remover threads.

Do any of you gurus recall what BB these required? Looks like about 120mm spindle and ISO (smaller
than Shimano) taper to me. I will probably use these for a fixed gear, so that is my intended
chainline. Thanks.

Benjamin Weiner wrote:

> I have a set of Stronglight model 106 cranks - at least that's what I think. 144mm BCD, relief
> down the crank arm and on the spider arms, "106" by the pedal eye, standard 22mm remover threads.
>
> Do any of you gurus recall what BB these required? Looks like about 120mm spindle and ISO (smaller
> than Shimano) taper to me. I will probably use these for a fixed gear, so that is my intended
> chainline. Thanks.

Then original spindle is an asymmetric 118. Merely flipping it over might be close fr a single ring
application. The single spindle is an asymmetric 113.

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Then original spindle is an asymmetric 118. Merely flipping it over might be close fr a single
> ring application. The single spindle is an asymmetric 113.

Thanks, Andrew. Unfortunately I don't have the original spindle, and my collection of spindles (next
box over from the folders and mutilators) is all the larger JIS taper, I believe.

I may have a modern Campy 115mm, maybe that would work for a single ring.

Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> Thanks, Andrew. Unfortunately I don't have the original spindle, and my collection of spindles
> (next box over from the folders and mutilators) is all the larger JIS taper, I believe.
>
> I may have a modern Campy 115mm, maybe that would work for a single ring.

Great idea. It's the proper taper section and reasonably close. If it isn't dead on, at least you'll
know where to go from there.

That's an ongoing battle - estimating the equivalent symmetric length to replace an
asymmetric spindle.

Ahead of their time, a Stronglight #113 spindle, I'd say is damnn near symmetric at 56 each side as
is the equivalent TA
# 314. (Ijust measured) The double spindle, Stronglight 118, is 56x62mm. That indicates that you
# certainly could
flip over a double ( or even a Stronglight #123 or the TA
#344, #373 or #374) as long as you are not obsessive about
QFactor.