BBC1 Breakfast item - soon

John Hearns

Guest
BBC1 Breakfast will have an item later,
on a visit to Stockholm.
Will banning cars from city centres encourage cycling?

(Sorry - that's not an exact quote, its just on in the
background).
SO switch on the box now.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:17:06 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> BBC1 Breakfast will have an item later, on a visit to Stockholm.
> Will banning cars from city centres encourage cycling?

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:17:06 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

> BBC1 Breakfast will have an item later, on a visit to Stockholm.
> Will banning cars from city centres encourage cycling?

Nice one.
They interview a British 'car lover' who is an expat in Copenhagen,
and according to the interview he moved there deliberately so he could
commute on the uncrowded roads. Shots of him standing beside car on
sunlit quayside, commenting that he can arrange to be somewhere and
get there with a margin or two minutes either way.
So its alright for the Danes to take to their bikes.
So that Mr. Middle England can speed by in his car (*)

Sorry, but was anyone else reminded of colonial types wearing
solar topees as a line of bearers walk past in the background?

(*) I have one of the things myself, as I have admitted to the group.

John Hearns wrote:
> BBC1 Breakfast will have an item later,
> on a visit to Stockholm.
> Will banning cars from city centres encourage cycling?

Part of European Mobility Week?

John Hearns a écrit :

> Sorry, but was anyone else reminded of colonial types wearing
> solar topees as a line of bearers walk past in the background?

We have some types of such drivers here in Lyon, France.
I was said this summer after the launch of Velo'V (see
www.velov.grandlyon.com, an almost-free city-wide bike system by JC
Decaux) that it was good because it was "cleaning the streets so that I
can come quicker" (in car, of course, and from 5 kilometers).

--
Marien