Beginner bike...

cmjreef

Jul 4, 2007
I'm considering buying a Trek 1500 (Blue and silver Discovery Channel one). Is buying a 9 speed as opposed to a newer 10 speed a bad idea. I'm interested in cycling strictly for entertainment and excersise. I'd like to ultimately ride 20-30 miles, 2-3 days a week. For under or right at $1000 I thought this bike was a good value. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.:)

cmjreef said:
I'm considering buying a Trek 1500 (Blue and silver Discovery Channel one). Is buying a 9 speed as opposed to a newer 10 speed a bad idea. I'm interested in cycling strictly for entertainment and excersise. I'd like to ultimately ride 20-30 miles, 2-3 days a week. For under or right at $1000 I thought this bike was a good value. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.:)
For the type of riding you plan to do, 9 speed may be more durable than 10 speed. It's certainly no going to limit your enjoyment or performance in any way. After all, a lot of us are still riding mountain centuries, cross-country tours and races with "only" 18 or 27 gears to play with. As long as the bike has low enough gearing to allow you to climb what you need to climb you'll be fine.

Providing it's the right size frame of course. Don't settle for a frame that's one or two sizes too big or small just because it's a bargain. If it fits you, sounds like a deal :)