Best aluminum Road frames

One of the best is the Cannondale CAAD8. Super nice ride and very reasonable price.

Jcyclist said:
Time for a new frame
I'm a big Pinarello fan so I would recommend the Galileo or Marvel (discontinued, but still around). Well made, not super light but stiff and fast.
Just my .02. Good deals can be had on Cannondale, Raleigh and Felt to name a few. Aluminum is plentiful and personally I've never had one fail on me. Some of the " " harshness can be dampened a bit with carbon seat stays, post or bars.

Jcyclist said:
Time for a new frame
I would have to rank the Cervelo Soloist Team very highly. Unfortunately I just had to sell mine but this frame lives up to its claims.

jrstevens said:
I would have to rank the Cervelo Soloist Team very highly. Unfortunately I just had to sell mine but this frame lives up to its claims.
+1 for the Cervelo Soloist Team

I don't have any riding experience on this frame but I just did the "the big bike hunt" (ended up going with a carbon frame - Scott Cr1 Team) the Cervelo ran a close second mainly due to its price (I got an 06 model Scott with quite a few dollars off).

If you want reasonable price and a good handling but still comfortable frame = Felt would be a good option. I'm just about to build up my second(still going to have the first) Felt F80 frame with 9 speed Ultegra.
It'll end up being a sweet training bike for cheap and with the wheels changed a reasonable race bike too. :)

21 lbs of unbreakable thick walled aluminum. BTW this is my 7sp downtube to 8 of 9 Ultegra conversion.

cycling004.jpg
[/IMG]

Jcyclist said:
under 700
if that's the case then this bike should be on your short list. check out http://www.zedsport.com/pages/road/superlight_team.htm

A friend of mine is riding this and likes it better than his full carbon Look. Great price for a stiff aluminum frame.

jrstevens said:
if that's the case then this bike should be on your short list. check out http://www.zedsport.com/pages/road/superlight_team.htm

A friend of mine is riding this and likes it better than his full carbon Look. Great price for a stiff aluminum frame.
http://www.gvhbikes.com/

Check out the Cinelli Experience, a full Alu frame with carbon fork and headset for 700 bones available from a reputable US dealer in Oregon. I'll likely purchase one of these 2 framesets for next year's race season.

jrstevens said:
http://www.gvhbikes.com/

Check out the Cinelli Experience, a full Alu frame with carbon fork and headset for 700 bones available from a reputable US dealer in Oregon. I'll likely purchase one of these 2 framesets for next year's race season.
yeah, good frames. I have a Proxima (Basically the same frame as the Xperience), which is fantastic, but I ride like a duck, and my heels kept whacking the chainstays. Also, I found the Columbus Link a little rough on the Cinelli; and the Easton EC70 was a little flexy for the BMC, so I swapped them

cinelli_easton.jpg

Also, Columbus Zonal is light enough, in my opinion: this "56" is about 1390g

531Aussie said:
I just bought a BMC Streefire, and the US rec. retail is $725. Includes post and headset

streetfire.jpg
I agree. Go BMC, their innovation and value are extremely hard to beat.

bobbyOCR said:
I agree. Go BMC, their innovation and value are extremely hard to beat.
You're doing a great job on advocating BMC bikes .. now I want one! :mad:

(They just seem abit pricey, but that is the downside with quality, I guess. :))

Strid said:
You're doing a great job on advocating BMC bikes .. now I want one! :mad:

(They just seem abit pricey, but that is the downside with quality, I guess. :))
If you get a chance to see the streetfire (and any other model), you will see they choose engineering instead of plain welding tubes together. Both sides of the stays on the streetfire are one piece. The drive side stays are welded to the non-drive side stays at the brake bridge and both are welded at the bb. This saves something like 6 welds, increasing strength and stiffness.

(Maybe I show a little bias......:eek:)

yeah, the BMC value is pretty good, especially in Australia. They are reasonably priced for a brand-name import, made with brand-name aluminium (Easton)